Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

North Carolina last week of December, ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family of four (two teens) is looking to fly into Asheville for a few days. We've been to Townsend in March and enjoyed the hikes and trails of the Smoky Mountains. We're not into Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. More interested in renting a cabin/small home with a fire place and going out on adventures and hikes. We've been to the Biltmore and. loved Greenville, SC for the 4th of July. We live in South Florida so my kids would like this to include snow (we now that's not guaranteed). Suggestions for small towns with access to the mountains? Hikes, winery, museums, etc (I heard the Blue Ridge Hywy may be closed then.) Should we use Asheville as the central spot to stay or look for a small town near the mountains?
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 03:47 AM

You might look at Burnsville area for a cabin. Or down around Bryson City, but that may be a lower altitude.

The ski resorts around Boone and Blowing Rock will have snow on the mountains (MAYBE) and tubing (maybe). That area would have nice cabins available and lots to do.
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 09:02 PM

I know Asheville is much further east than Durham. But just so you know... UNC Chapel Hill has a home basketball game that week. Beautiful campus with a lot of school spirit. My teens would have loved it.
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 03:41 AM

I think you mean west of Durham--and if you mean Carolina it is of course in Chapel Hill, not Durham. And if you mean it is a Duke (in Durham) vs. Carolina game, forget even thinking about getting tickets!! LOL'
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I'm hoping we can coordinate: Downtown Asheville, maybe Biltmore decorations, brewery, Hikes (Bearwallow? Moore Cove Falls? Lover's Leap Loop? John Rock Trail? Rattlesnake Lodge Trail?),snow (Cataloochee Resort? Wolf Ridge Resort?).

I'm looking at lodging in : as far south as Brevard and as far west as Bryson City, suggestions???
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gretchen
I think you mean west of Durham--and if you mean Carolina it is of course in Chapel Hill, not Durham. And if you mean it is a Duke (in Durham) vs. Carolina game, forget even thinking about getting tickets!! LOL'
​​​​​​ Yes, I did mean to say Asheville is west. I originally typed it the other way and then flipped the sentence order.

I flew into RDU for my own trip. I found more affordable hotels in Durham than I did in Chapel Hill, so that was intentional albeit unclear. I did however say UNC Chapel Hill in my post.

​​​
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Got my flights and rental car booked. The HOUSE: Brevard OR Mills River/Hendersonville?? Which is better access to trails, Chimney Rock, Pisgah, etc. Dining, grocery, etc.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 05:05 AM

Brevard is a gateway to the Pisgah. Hendersonville would be a little way.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Got my house rented in Brevard! Now to planning the activities. My husband thinks the National Parks will be closed by the government so I hope we aren't limited to access.

Other topics:
Snow! We're from Florida so we aren't skiers but my kids want to try. Where shall we go for the day? I see Boone, Hawks Nest tubing in Seven Devils, Appalachian Ski Mountain, Beech Mountain Resort, Cataloochee, I think my family will want to try as beginners but probably would do better at snow tubing, lol (This will probably be the activity for my son's 18th birthday)

GSMNP: will roads be closed? Which is the closest entrance to Brevard?

BRParkway: are these your favorites? Grandfather Mountain? Mt Pisgah? Linville Falls?

Outside Ashville: Blowing Rock? Black Mountain? Boone? Which are good day-trips? (Hikes and falls)

My thoughs: one day trip to Asheville, one day to north(BlowingRock/Chimney Rock) One day on the BRPway, one day snow, one day SMNP.

Looking for feedback.
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 02:57 AM

You are just too far from the high ski areas (Boone/Sugar Mountain) to even think about a day trip of skiing. You might go to Maggie Valley (an hour) but I have no experience there. BUT any time you go skiing, are planning on a lesson you have to get there EARLY. You have to get fitted for equipment, get tickets (lines), get dressed, stow stuff and get to the lesson site by X time (maybe 9. Parking lots are crowded.
If you want to go tubing, check with the area and make a reservation (probably).
YOu are 2.5 hours away from Blowing Rock, to give you an idea--your day trips will be very long on driving. Parts of the Parkway may be closed and the other part of Parkway driving is that often you are driving ABOVE the clouds in the valleys so you can't see anything. It's pretty but you get caught up on it pretty quick. LOL
Brevard itself is a lovely little mountain town.
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Gretchen.
So I've planned too much driving.
Suggestions?
Looking at State Parks now.
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 07:42 AM

You never know--they should be open by then. Asheville is always good for a couple of days. You can check out Maggie Valley--it's a cute little town. Snow is just iffy.
If you really want to try skiing stay above asheville--can you change reservations?
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 10:47 AM

Sapphire Valley ski area is only 25 miles away, you could go there.

https://skisapphirevalley.com/index.html

If it's cold enough, a lot of these places have snowmaking, of course. It's nothing great, but for a total beginner child, should be okay. The snow conditions just aren't good even in the higher ones, its too warm. So it's granular or hard pack.l
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 12:05 PM

What Christina says is right. IF there is snow on the mountain (that is, if it has been cold enough long enough to make snow) you might give it a try.
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Gretchen and Cristina!! We are true Floridians so *snow* will be fun.
It's my son's 18th birthday so I wanted to plan something extra special!!
I''ll look at Sapphire Valley for sure!!
Anything else we shouldn't miss??
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, ladies. We had a great time. My DD wrote a trip report.