Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

8 days in Thailand late Feb - independent female traveller

8 days in Thailand late Feb - independent female traveller

Old Jan 17th, 2019, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by suec1
I have been to Bangkok several times, mostly to visit my daughter. I love the Chatrium Riverside, esp. with a river view room. I actually find Bangkok a bit "much" due to the heat (even in the cool season) and the time change (I'm from the US). I had big plans for some independent sight-seeing the first time I went (I had purchased a Bangkok Walks book) but the heat made walking unpleasant. Do try to stay near a skytrain station if not on the river. I did do a walking food tour that was pleasant, and much less expensive than in other countries. The Jim Thompson House is lovely and the foot massages, heavenly. Hope you have a pleasant time!
Hey Suec1 - have just booked the Riverside Chatrium for a few nights for while I'm in Bangkok on your recommendation! I liked the idea of a more budget place for most of my stay but a treat at the end.
Thanks for the advice - looks fabulous!
Lesley
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 01:12 AM

Can I put in a suggestion to consider an overnight (or even 2) for Ayutthaya, rather than a day trip? It will really give you the opportunity to explore more of the beautiful ruins, not just the handful of very busy favourites the day trip tours usually take you to, plus you can really appreciate the town itself, it has a glorious food market, a couple of night markets for street food, we came across a fascinating amulet market during our visit.

For places in Bangkok, we'd definitely look to stay by the river next time. On our first trip, this time last year, we did the first few nights by Nana BTS in Sukhumvit, which was great for getting around the city, and for easy access to lots of food choices. We did the last few nights in Silom, which I wouldn't choose again. We wanted to stay at the Dusit Thani before it closed, my parents having stayed there not long after it first opened, when they first went to Thailand.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 02:37 AM

Lesley - oh I hope you enjoy your stay at the Chatrium and all of your visit to Bangkok. It is easy to take one of the water buses along the river from the Chatrium - wonderful, inexpensive sight seeing!