Reload this Page >

Greek Island Trip Report: Santorini, Folegandros, Milos and Sifnos in July

Search

Greek Island Trip Report: Santorini, Folegandros, Milos and Sifnos in July

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2018, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So in summary I would say that 3 days on Sifnos was perfect. The first afternoon I took the bus up to Apollonia but my timing was terrible – it was the middle of the afternoon and very hot and of course nothing was open and the streets deserted. OK for shooting photos but the atmosphere and the heat were less than perfect. Fortunately the beach in Kamares is wonderful so cooled down back there. The highlight of my time on Sifnos was the walk to Kastro. The walk was idyllic and Kasro one of the most picturesque villages I’ve seen in Greece. Apollonia and Artemonas are much more pleasant in the morning and evening. And Kamares is pleasant all day. The third day I had planned a day trip to the next island over, Serifos, but a lazy day on the beach seemed like a better idea at the time (of course now I wonder what Serifos is like, oh well, will have to return). All three evenings, after dinner at various tavernas on the water I walked up to the little chapel on the hill for sunset.

I really think the type of traveler you are partly determines how much time you want on any of these islands. Normally I am pretty fast paced and 'need' new stuff to see (photograph) every few days to keep me happy. So in that respect the islands of Naxos, Paros, Crete, Santorini would be better. But since I had already seen those places, and this was the end of a fairly long (5 and a half weeks) trip these islands were perfect. If you haven't been to any Greek islands yet, and your goal is more 'sightseeing' than 'relaxing' then I'd advise other islands with more to do.

But even if I wasn't before, I'm now 'hooked' on Greek island hopping and already planning which ones next.
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 05:55 AM

Thank you again Isabel to take the time to write this. It is very helpful and I read other of your trip reports to know that your style of travelling is very compatible with mine, so I take your advice soundly. Thank you to the Greek experts to chime in, Tavelerjean and Heimdall.

Last edited by ToujoursVoyager; Nov 10th, 2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by isabel
So in summary I would say that 3 days on Sifnos was perfect. The first afternoon I took the bus up to Apollonia but my timing was terrible – it was the middle of the afternoon and very hot and of course nothing was open and the streets deserted. OK for shooting photos but the atmosphere and the heat were less than perfect. Fortunately the beach in Kamares is wonderful so cooled down back there. The highlight of my time on Sifnos was the walk to Kastro. The walk was idyllic and Kasro one of the most picturesque villages I’ve seen in Greece. Apollonia and Artemonas are much more pleasant in the morning and evening. And Kamares is pleasant all day. The third day I had planned a day trip to the next island over, Serifos, but a lazy day on the beach seemed like a better idea at the time (of course now I wonder what Serifos is like, oh well, will have to return). All three evenings, after dinner at various tavernas on the water I walked up to the little chapel on the hill for sunset.

I really think the type of traveler you are partly determines how much time you want on any of these islands. Normally I am pretty fast paced and 'need' new stuff to see (photograph) every few days to keep me happy. So in that respect the islands of Naxos, Paros, Crete, Santorini would be better. But since I had already seen those places, and this was the end of a fairly long (5 and a half weeks) trip these islands were perfect. If you haven't been to any Greek islands yet, and your goal is more 'sightseeing' than 'relaxing' then I'd advise other islands with more to do.

But even if I wasn't before, I'm now 'hooked' on Greek island hopping and already planning which ones next.
Thanks for your helpful comments, Isabel. We haven't been to any Greek Islands yet, so we would be more interested in sightseeing than relaxing. When it's time for me to start planning, I will do my research on Naxos, paros, Crete, and Santorini. I know I definitely want to see Santorini, despite the tourist crowds.
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 01:29 AM

Great report - thank you for writing, Isabel, and for everyone else's contributions. Isabel, did you find the hot weather made you disinclined to get out and about walking? I'm not a fan of the heat and wondering how I'll enjoy visiting Greece in July. Realise that everyone has a different thermostat!
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Karen - if sightseeing is the priority I would definitely suggest Santorini. And for a first island visit I do think Naxos and Paros combine well with it and make for a great intro. I thoroughly enjoyed the islands I did on this trip, but Folegandros and Sifnos especially were very quiet and I wouldn't suggest them for a first trip unless 'relaxing' was top priority. And of course you can also 'relax' on Naxos and Paros - you just have more options.

dreamon - I've been to Greece three times in July now. I don't mind heat but even I had to take breaks mid day and either cool off with a swim or in the air conditioned room. Of course the days are long so there is still lots of time to do exploring/walking/whatever in the mornings and evenings and still have a 'siesta' mid day. From some of the things Jan and others have said, it sounds like things are even quieter in May or Sept/Oct which is sometimes not good but the weather is probably a bit cooler. But I was happy to have frequent bus schedules, lots of boat trips (not just the ferries) to choose from, etc. which you might not get if you go shoulder season.
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 11:06 AM

Thank you, Isabel. A break in the middle of the day is a very civilised idea - and practical too.
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 09:59 PM

Not only are mid-day siestas a civilised idea, they were a necessity during summer in pre-aircon days. Even today, on the less busy islands shops open early in the morning, close between 2 and 6 pm, then reopen until 9 or 10 pm. Tourists go to the beaches in the middle of the day, while sensible Greeks wait until evening when it is cooler and the sun is lower on the horizon. It is rare to see a Greek with a sunburn.
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 11:34 PM

Thanks again for the ferry websites, Isabel and Heimdall. It will greatly help in planning our routing for some of the lesser-known islands.