Quebec City First Time Visit Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2018, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're starting to plan a trip to Quebec and Montreal for May. We've love Montreal but have never been to Quebec so are excited to be visiting someplace new.

Wondering if 3 nights, 2 full days in Quebec will be just right? We love wandering through historic streets, alleyways and interesting neighborhoods and districts, as well as visiting galleries and museums. Quebec seems perfect for doing these activities

For hotel accommodations we're considering the Fairmont, Marriott Downtown as well as a few more interesting ones, Auberge Saint Antoine, Le Germain Quebec and Hotel 71.

We'd love hearing any comments or suggestion you may have. Thank you for your help.
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 08:57 AM

The Fairmont chain operates Le Chateau Frontenac, an authentic symbol of the city and one of Canada's most instantly recognizable buildings. Extensively renovated a few years ago, it dominates the skyline above the river and surveys the old city swirling around it. So you can guess that I have never had the budget to stay there beyond glancing at the handsome lobby. Maybe I could dine there some day..
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Southam, we’re considering the Fairmont because as you’ve pointed out, it is an iconic symbol of the city. But I absolutely get what you say about price lol, which is why we’re considering other places as well. Appreciate your input, thanks.
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 07:33 PM

I feel that 3 nights and 2 days IS quite suitable for Quebec (City).

And I wish I could address the hotel question AS IF budget were no concern of mine, because I'd want to be "fair" more than anything, on a travel advice board.

I just... was most drawn to an older area of lower Quebec, which had cobblestone streets that were relatively narrow.

There was a subway station / underground/inside shopping area immediately to the... *east* ... of the area I recall, and scores and scores of shops all over the area.

That's the part I would have explored much more if afforded more time.

(the walled city is up on the hill, not far from the Frontenac, and while I looked around in the walled city, and was OK with the many shops and touristy stuff there, I was more, uh, "curious" about the area I first described)

Maybe I should return to QC and sate my intrigue over the area I described.
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 07:47 AM

I think 3 days/2 nights is enough to get a good feel for the city but you could easily spend another day especially since you are interested in museums. The Musée de la civilisation is huge and we have also enjoyed the Musée de l'Amérique francophone and Musée de la place Royale.

Our most recent trips have been in 2011 and 2017. We spent 3 nights each time and had the equivalent of almost 3 days of touring.
I don't really agree with the last post about the walled city vs the lower old town section. I think either is a fine place to stay and you will want to walk back and forth between the two (or take the funicular) wherever you stay. The views from the upper city are spectacular so I have a slight preference for staying in that area. Both are very touristy, but May should be a good time to go.

This is my TR for 2011 which gives some more details about what we saw on that trip and explains about Louise Penny's Bury Your Dead which you might want to read before the trip
Quebec City--three day visit

We timed our July 2017 trip so that we could see the 40 tall ships visiting Quebec City harbor. My husband was really excited about the ships and I thought it would be fun to see them sailing in as well as close up in the harbor, so I made reservations for the night before they were due to arrive. We stayed at a B & B a block away from the Dufferin Terrace overlooking the ST. Laurence so could easily go back and forth to watch the river activity.
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 09:31 AM

Curiousgeo, while in Quebec city, we stayed at the Quebec City Marriott, just outside one of the Old City Gates to the upper city. I believe it on La Rue St. Jean. We found it very convenient to restaurants, parking (a garage just next door), and from there did walking tours of the city. We visited the Frontenac for late afternoon drinks. Also, we did a couple of day trips outside Quebec, and found it very easy to get in and out of the city. Have a good trip!
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies, they are very helpful. I'm glad to hear you think our initial plan of 3 nights, 2 days gives us sufficient time to explore a bit and get a feel for the city.

As for hotels, I feel drawn towards staying in the lower area with its cobblestone streets, but am not locked into it at all so we'll see what kind of rates and rooms are available. Appreciate your comments and hearing what you enjoy while visiting there.
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 06:09 PM

When I was in Quebec City last, we rented an airbnb (my only bad experience with airbnb) and then our last night we spent at the Château Frontenac. Needless to say, the Château Frontenac was wonderful.
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Not sure if you made reservations for a hotel for May yet. I have stayed at the Fronternac and also at Hotel du Vieux in QC. The Chateau du Fronternac was a beautiful hotel and we booked a gold level room which meant free breakfast buffet and also evening appetizers with an honor bar. It was worth it to have the extras. It was my 50th birthday and in October, so we were fortunate to get upgraded from standard gold room to a suite on the 17th? floor with great views of the river. It was very nice to just sit in a chair and look out my window at the boats while having a glass of wine.
A year later, I took my daughter on a QC/Montreal trip when she graduated college in June. I did not want to spend 500 per night for our hotel room and also I knew I would never get the free suite upgrade again, so I opted for a smaller hotel. The Hotel du Vieux is located on a street that closes at night to traffic. There are many shops and restaurants nearby. If you book directly with the hotel, you get breakfast which is a cute basket of yogurt, fruit and pastries that are delivered to your door around 8:30am. You do not have to get it right away, but it is there for when you wake up! We loved our hotel and felt like family each time we walked in from our days exploring. I would return again to the hotel du vieux! I believe it ran about 220USD per night for a room with two queen beds. I stayed there 3 years ago, but according to Trip Advisor, it is still highly ranked. They were about to redo all of their rooms.