Ohio Amish Country Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're headed to Ohio soon to visit "rellies" in Canton. We would like to spend a day visiting the Amish/Mennonite communities nearby. If you are familiar with this area, we would appreciate any information that would contribute to a day trip there. We're interested in learning about the history/culture and having a good lunch.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 03:30 PM

Berlin, Ohio, I think is a center--just north of Columbus and south of Canton.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gretchen. I have my eye on Berlin as the spot to begin the day. If anyone can recommend one or more "must see" sites or good restaurants in the area, I would appreciate knowing about them. We'll be based in Canton.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 05:57 PM
kja

I didn't have dinner at any restaurants in the area, but enjoyed a brunch at the Olde World Bakery and Bistro some years ago, and it still gets good reviews.

Maybe you already know, but if not, it's BURR-lin.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 09:49 PM

We have been there many times because my husband's relatives live in the area. The largest amount of Amish live in Holmes County and you will see many Amish in Berlin, Sugar Creek. Kidron and many surrounding communities that I am forgetting. There are many restaurants in the Berlin Area and I believe a lot of them are owned by Mennonites but many Amish work in the restaurants. We especially enjoyed the hardware store in Kidron where they had tons of things that are made to work without electricity. Just down the street from that store is a grocery store where many Amish were shopping and they have auctions in town at times and you will see lots of Amish buggies and Amish people at the auctions. If you drive on the side roads you will see many more Amish in their buggies as they try to stay off the bigger faster roads if possible, but that is not always possible so keep your eyes open for buggies on any road. The whole area has grown tourist wise since I first started going there with my husband and it seems more commercial now, but it is still very interesting. Have fun!!
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 02:48 AM

Just a note--Berlin is pronounced BER-lin. ;o)
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your helpful replies. We'll probably head for the BER-lin area and strike out from there. The hardware store and grocery store in Kidron sound interesting, as does the Olde World Bakery and Bistro. Fodorites are the best!
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 12:36 PM

I second the recommendation for the hardware store in Kidron. My kitchen houses a number of awesome little cooking items from there. Allow yourself plenty of time. The Amish auction is on Thursday mornings; if you can, by all means try to be there then. Also from Kidron is our bedroom furniture - handmade and custom ordered from the furniture store across the street from the hardware store. It's absolutely gorgeous and surprisingly affordable (except for shipping down to Florida, of course). There are lots of furniture makers in the area, but Eastwood in Kidron is right there. Also, don't forget to visit Heini's and Troyer Cheese, both in Berlin. I like Heini's for the cheese; they have their cheesemaking room on full view with glass windows, and there are samples next to every kind of cheese available. Troyer's is my stop for trail bologna (you have to taste it, really), jams and preserves.
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 11:40 AM

I second Heini's Cheese Chalet! If you like chocolate, visit Coblentz Chocolates in Walnut Creek. Yummy!

I love that area. We live in California and visit friends in Columbus, Ohio. We always ask them to take us on a day trip to the Amish area. At Heini's we always have to purchase a wheel of Baby Swiss to take home with us. One trip we ended up having a custom built bar cabinet built at Homestead Furniture in Mt. Hope. Do visit them. They have furniture I have never seen anywhere else.

Be sure to go off the beaten path and have fun!