Wandering in the UK by car for 20 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As schedules have worked out (a September wedding in Henley-on-Thames, clear calendars, and excellent airfare to/from UK on select days), we find that we have about 20 days (Sept 14 - Oct. 6-ish) to wander (potter, meander, go very slowly) around Wales and the border counties, perhaps then the Cotswolds, or perhaps turning south to explore the southwest of England, as our whim and the weather dictate our routes.

We have the enormous luxury of not being driven by a "17 towns and 6 castles in 9 days" schedule. (We had first contemplated doing 5 days in Yorkshire to see the purple heather bloom on the moors, then train to Cardiff and 13 days in Wales,etc , but that seemed too rushed.)

The only "musts" will be a visit to Hereford, and time in Glamorgan and the valleys in south Wales, hunting ghosts of grandparents, or at least their gravestones (Llantwit Major, Merthyr Tydfil, and so on)

Here is the question: where to begin? Or more accurately, where to rent a car?

After a four day stay in London, we will take the train to XX; we have absolutely no intention of driving in the greater London area. (Nor do we like driving in the greater Boston or New York areas. Why stress when you can take the train?). We will also be avoiding M-roads as much as feasible, opting for the slower routes. We have discussed booking two 10-day hires (which will give us flexibility in cancellations and changing plans): 10 days for the Wales/borders loop, and 10 days for other other destination, perhaps taking a train between drop off city 1 and pick up city 2.

Cardiff, Swindon (or Oxford) and Gloucester come to mind as places to pick up a car. Rick Steves sends people to Bath for car pickup. We will need relative ease of getting from the train station to the car hire location, and a route that leaves the car hire location without battling major city traffic.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

EJZ

Last edited by EmJayZee; Aug 14th, 2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 01:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>After a four day stay in London, we will take the train to XX; we have absolutely no intention of driving in the greater London area.<<

That is unfortunate . . . because collecting a car at LHR is probably the single easiest place in the country. (other major airports are OK to but picking up a car in an mid-sized or large city where here are likely to be the major car rental locations would be significantly harder)

Especially if you plan on heading to the Cotswolds, South Wales, and Hereford - pick the car up out at LHR.

Bath is a lousy place to collect a car (and just one of many reasons I think RS is pants for UK advice). the traffic in Bath is almost always awful.

>>We will also be avoiding M-roads as much as feasible, opting for the slower routes<<

Absolutely -- but starting out on the Motorways out of LHR and THEN taking off on the smaller rural roads is easier than starting out in the middle of any town.

Last edited by janisj; Aug 14th, 2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Is LHR easy for people with very rusty UK skills for driving on the other side of the road? We were thinking of a gentle entry while brushing off the rust.

Would CWL be a good option? It's out of the city, so we could spend a couple of days in Cardiff and then go pick up the car.

Last edited by EmJayZee; Aug 14th, 2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by EmJayZee
Is LHR easy for people with very rusty UK skills for driving on the other side of the road? We were thinking of a gentle entry while brushing off the rust.

That is why I think LHR is so easy. You immediately get on a limited access, with everyone driving the same direction at close to the same speeds. No narrow roads, cars parked every which way with barely enough room for two cars to pass, and watching for directional signs and roundabouts and pedestrians, and zebra crossings, and cyclists and buses. After a 30 or 40 minutes or an hour on the M4 or M40 you will be getting used to the car, the controls, etc, and then can exit to your first real driving challenge on surface streets.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 01:18 PM

Didn't see your edit. CWL would be OK too but if you wanted to hit the Cotswolds first, LHR is flat easy.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Didn't see your edit. CWL would be OK too but if you wanted to hit the Cotswolds first, LHR is flat easy.
As we will be starting on the weekend, the Cotswolds would not be our first choice: we suspect that in mid-September they will be overrun. We are inclined to begin with Wales.

But you raise an interesting question: is it easier to get used to a car (and driving on the other side) on a Motorway, or on an A or B road?
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 01:24 PM

>>we suspect that in mid-September they will be overrun.<<

Why is that? September is not high season. But yes, if you want to start in Wales CWL would be an option. It has been several years since I was on the A4226, but as I remember it was a two lane road -- shouldn't be a huge amount of traffic though.

Last edited by janisj; Aug 14th, 2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spent some time in part of that area a couple of years back - Oxford - Worcester - Gloucester - Hereford - Shrewsbury - Conwy - Chester - although I traveled by public transport. I didn't miss having a car for that area, although I might want one for the Cotswolds.

Start here (links at the top of the page): https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...rowded-oxford/
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 02:08 PM

Just be aware that many A roads can be as busy as the motorways. I think the roads through most of the Cotswolds are easy to manage so I'd start there with rental at LHR. It"s a pretty easy drive.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 02:15 PM

Em: We took the train from London to Cardiff and rented at Enterprise. It was an easy walk from the station and the staff was wonderful. We were headed for western Wales and on to Scotland.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 04:02 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Some random ideas to address your concerns.

- During your stay in London, ride a couple of times in taxis rather than the tube or on buses. Sit behind the driver and imagine it's you at the wheel. Pay attention to the mirrors, on how he/she navigates roundabouts (always the biggest challenge for me when I'm fresh off the plane) and just get a feel for sitting on the right side and driving on the left. My bet is that a few minutes of this will make you feel a lot more comfortable once it's you driving.

- Use the Google Maps "street view" option (little yellow figure at the bottom of the maps.) Drag it to the road and it will give you a 360-degree view and allow you to "walk" along the route. It's surprisingly good practice.

- Rent a car with an automatic transmission. These are much more plentiful these days, and it will be one less thing to fret over.

I'd make the first day's drive as easy as possible. For example, here's an imaginary map showing a drive from the Hertz rental office (or several others) at Heathrow to a lovely thatched inn out on the edge of the Cotswolds. https://goo.gl/maps/YwxhBcqtvr12 . You travel a half mile or so on one-way roads until you're on the M4, and you stay on motorways (M4, M25 and M40) all the way (around an hour) until you're around four miles (most on divided road) and three (minor) roundabouts from the hotel. Here's the street view as you approach the hotel. https://goo.gl/maps/QW6YSmE8ijA2 (Note I haven't stayed here but it looks pretty nice.)

That would put you on the edge of the Cotswolds in under two hours after leaving the airport, and by the time you pull into the hotel's car park and get ready for a pint in the hotel bar, you'll be comfortable with the car's controls and how to navigate country roads. Off you go.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
>>we suspect that in mid-September they will be overrun.<<

Why is that? September is not high season..
my assumption is that September is the “shoulder season” and that, if the weather is good, the tourists will still be out and about in large numbers —though not necessarily families with children. That is certainly what we have seen in shoulder season elsewhere, especially as the ranks of retired travelers swell.

But who knows?

Thank you to all for the replies; it certainly gives food for thought as to where we want to start (Wales or Cotswolds). Gardyloo — thanks for the suggested route, and yes, I plan to rent an automatic as my shifting skills are a good 20years old. If we do multiple serial rentals I may take a manual later on the trip.

if we were to start in the Cotswolds, I would be tempted to head from LHR to Bourton-on-theWater, thus braving not only the M40 but also the A40 around Oxford and then the A429.... in for a penny, in for a pound !

Last edited by EmJayZee; Aug 14th, 2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 11:23 PM

I agree that it is easier to start on the motorway. You follow along with the rest of the traffic, no confusion as to the side of the road you are driving on. Stay in the slow lane until you get used to it.
It is on small roads with roundabouts and little traffic that you tend to make mistakes; for example taking a turn and ending up on the wrong side of the road, or the impulse to drive around the roundabout the wrong way.
Also, on narrow roads you will perhaps try to overcompensate and drive too far to the left - I know I did that when I started driving in the UK.

Take care and have a good time, sounds like a nice trip!
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 11:35 PM

- During your stay in London, ride a couple of times in taxis rather than the tube or on buses. Sit behind the driver and imagine it's you at the wheel. Pay attention to the mirrors, on how he/she navigates roundabouts (always the biggest challenge for me when I'm fresh off the plane) and just get a feel for sitting on the right side and driving on the left. My bet is that a few minutes of this will make you feel a lot more comfortable once it's you driving.
Yer take driving lessons from a taxi driver..please do not do that!
Watch these.

There are loads more.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 12:00 AM

I've been living in the UK for the past five months on an extended holiday...I come from Australia so already have the advantage of driving on the same side of the road. I agree with the motorway preparation driving but be aware some of them have horrible traffic jams for miles for no apparent reason...so don't fret just sit and wait with everyone else! My only downfall has been the huge roundabouts, they are ghastly. Some even have traffic lights smack bang in the middle, so half way around you have to stop...once of course I didn't and went sailing through a red light much to my horror. Just be warned, there are some doozies, take your time and indicate madly which way you are going at least that helps the other drivers...
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 12:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If going towards the west country avoid Swindon's notorious "magic roundabout"

I'd start at LHR.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 01:45 AM

If you decide to come up here to North Yorkshire you might find you are too late for the purple heather by the end of September/early October. It's bloomed pretty early this year, although August is always the 'best' time.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 06:58 AM

Yes, by all means avoid Swindon's ' magic roundabout ' The most hellish traffic obstacle ever.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 09:01 AM

Easy enough . . . just avoid Swindon altogether
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

We began (or re-began) our planning discussions last night, having been convinced that we should seriously consider simply catching the tube to LHR from our London digs (Swiss Cottage) and pick up a car there. And the head first to the Cotswolds and then on to Wales.

Avoiding Swindon at all costs!

Now, the next decision is when: I assume a late morning or midday pick-up would be desirable. Yes? And which day? Friday? Saturday? Sunday? We have flexibility in London,so I'd like to take the day with the lightest traffic.

I will book with AutoEurope.

Morgana: thanks for the tip about the heather. I was afraid that mid-September would be too late. Next year!

Schnauzer: I would like to hear more about your "extended holiday" as a six month extended holiday is something we are considering for 2019. Perhaps a new thread?

Last edited by EmJayZee; Aug 15th, 2018 at 10:42 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -