Booking Rental car for South Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2018, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I researched a bunch on here and on Tripadvisor, but I still have a couple of questions. We are a family of 4 - 2 parents, 2 adult children. We'll be driving from Johannesburg to Kruger Park, self driving through Kurger, and then driving to Shindzela in Timbavati before going back to Johannesburg. I figure we need at least a Toyota Avanza or Toyota Rav4 for the space. I also like that these two vehicles sit higher up than a sedan and have a bit more ground clearance. We can drive a stick shift, but remembering to drive on the correct side of the road, while manually shifting - with the left hand no less, is a lot to focus on. I priced out both vehicles on the ZA and US car rental sites. The US sites are cheaper by almost half and include unlimited mileage and the Collision Damage Waiver. Using an AARP 25% off discount code, I got a rate of $375 US for 11 days through Budget for the Rav4. It is not a prepaid rate. I will pay at the Budget counter with my AMEX card. I am also enrolling in the AMEX Premiere Car Rental Protection, which give me primary insurance for the whole rental period for $19.95. This is in addition to the insurance you get by paying with the AMEX card.

My questions:
1) Will I have any problems with Budget honoring the rate on my reservation paperwork?
2) Is the insurance coverage (CDW, and extra AMEX coverage) acceptable in South Africa? Is it enough?
3) Will a Rav4 be comfortable for 4 adults?
4) Can I get a better rate that $375 for 11 days, or is that a pretty good rate?

Thanks all you experts for your help!
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 09:22 PM

I can answer some of your questions:
1. Budget should honour your quote & reservation for car rental since they will have the details in their system. You’ll be charged the equivalent amount in Rand. I mostly prepay my rentals which eliminates any worries such as yours.
2. Check with AMEX if the coverage applies to South Africa.
3. Toyota RAV4 looks a good size to me
4. South Africa has local car rental firms such as Tempest, Bidvest & First, might be worth checking those too, you can check via a car rental wholesaler such as Autoeurope who will offer local companies and 4WD vehicles so you can compare prices to your quote plus you can prepay. Did you get the quote from www.budget.co.za?

Last edited by Odin; Aug 9th, 2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 12:56 AM

I would recommend a Toyota Hilux, far more spacious and comfotable. Greater ground clearance good fuel efficiency and very reliable.I had hire the Toyota 4x4, Double cabin bush camper from Johannesburg for a 12 day camping safari to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park Botswana.

I went with Bushlore and was very unhappy with their services and attitude.Primarily (rather unfortunately) I had little time to inspect the vehicle before my drive into Botswana( my fault).I was given a hilux which it seems wasn't properly inspected.I too in a hurry to hit the road didn't pay attention to details,During the course of those 12 days, the battery packed up, the power-steering failed and a large crack developed on the side walls of the tire.The two spare tires were in bad shape and worn out.Mind you, getting help in the Kalahari is very tough as you may not sight another vehicle in 2-3 days.On returning the hilux the guys at Bushlore were nonchalant and unconcerned. Simply brushing it off by saying the they would have reimbursed any replacement.Well ,that is not what I bargained for,spending time in workshops, repairing rental cars,if I could ever find one in the middle of the desert !! Not a good experience though.I would vouch for the Hilux.
I'm sure there are more professional companies,like the few mentioned above.My two cent piece of advice, is, please make time for the pre-pickup inspection with a thorough checklist.
Enjoy your driving holiday in SA
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Odin
I can answer some of your questions:
1. Budget should honour your quote & reservation for car rental since they will have the details in their system. You’ll be charged the equivalent amount in Rand. I mostly prepay my rentals which eliminates any worries such as yours.
2. Check with AMEX if the coverage applies to South Africa.
3. Toyota RAV4 looks a good size to me
4. South Africa has local car rental firms such as Tempest, Bidvest & First, might be worth checking those too, you can check via a car rental wholesaler such as Autoeurope who will offer local companies and 4WD vehicles so you can compare prices to your quote plus you can prepay. Did you get the quote from www.budget.co.za?
Thank you so much. I am pretty sure AMEX covers South Africa; it wasn't on the list of non covered countries. But you're right, I think it's worth a phone call to make sure. I will check out Autoeurope. If I stay with Budget, I'll prepay once I get my flights ironed out - great idea. I'm still waiting for the fares to drop a bit more (hopefully!!!). I booked through the US Budget site because the ZA Budget site was almost twice as expensive. That's why I got nervous about them honoring the rate. Thanks for all the tips!
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inquest
I would recommend a Toyota Hilux, far more spacious and comfotable. Greater ground clearance good fuel efficiency and very reliable.I had hire the Toyota 4x4, Double cabin bush camper from Johannesburg for a 12 day camping safari to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park Botswana.

I went with Bushlore and was very unhappy with their services and attitude.Primarily (rather unfortunately) I had little time to inspect the vehicle before my drive into Botswana( my fault).I was given a hilux which it seems wasn't properly inspected.I too in a hurry to hit the road didn't pay attention to details,During the course of those 12 days, the battery packed up, the power-steering failed and a large crack developed on the side walls of the tire.The two spare tires were in bad shape and worn out.Mind you, getting help in the Kalahari is very tough as you may not sight another vehicle in 2-3 days.On returning the hilux the guys at Bushlore were nonchalant and unconcerned. Simply brushing it off by saying the they would have reimbursed any replacement.Well ,that is not what I bargained for,spending time in workshops, repairing rental cars,if I could ever find one in the middle of the desert !! Not a good experience though.I would vouch for the Hilux.
I'm sure there are more professional companies,like the few mentioned above.My two cent piece of advice, is, please make time for the pre-pickup inspection with a thorough checklist.
Enjoy your driving holiday in SA
What a nightmare!!! I am so sorry that happened to you.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Odin
South Africa has local car rental firms such as Tempest, Bidvest & First,
Can anyone offer some advice on the reputation of these local firms? I know from experience in Europe that the firms offering the cheaper rates also tend to be the ones with shoddier cars and hidden fees.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 02:13 AM

Bidvest and First are offered thru Autoeurope. Tempest is offered thru rentalcars.com. There are reviews on TA and below. I've rented thru all of them over the years + Budget ZA, Hertz ZA and Avis ZA, never had an issue (well not caused by the rental company but had other issues.) There is nothing wrong with any of these companies, there are good and bad reviews about them all.

https://www.rentalcars.com/en/brand/tempest/
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 09:00 AM

Thanks Odin. I usually use rentalcars.com but doing a search in mid december the prices were extortionate and I'm used to paying high prices due to being limited to the school holidays. Tempest were offering cheaper rates than the others but my experience has always been that if they're cheaper than the competitors there's usually a catch.