Cadiz and San Sebastian visits and transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife and I want to return to Spain for up to 4 weeks. We are considering spending 2 weeks in Cadiz and 2 weeks in San Sebastian Because of our advanced age, we do not want to change locations a lot of times. We prefer day trips (bus/train) to other cities. A couple of years ago we spent a month in Malaga and loved it. We took day trips to Cordoba and Granada, but weather kept us away from Ronda. We hope for a similar experience, but are not yet set on which cities we want to be based. Suggestions on base cities would be appreciated. We are looking at fall, 2019. Also suggested day trips ?
We will not likely rent a car. Looks like flying into Madrid, then taking train to base town is best option ? We are wide open to different base cities, but prefer 1 or 2. Would consider northern Spain, but just don't know much about it . Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 10:18 AM

Public transit is good everywhere but for two weeks in a base how many easy day trips can you take? Madrid maybe. Anyway for lots on Spanish trains check Renfe - Spanish Railways' official site; www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves - sites that cover where to go and tell you what to expect on Spanish trains - short day trips just buy locally - long trips like from Madrid to either town book as early as possible to get limited in number discounted tickets - suggest spending some days in Madrid and maybe fly home from Seville or Barcelona and spend some days in each.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

PalenQ- Thanks. Do I understand you to believe that 2 weeks in each location might not be necessary ? Again, we are open to suggestions.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 02:38 PM

Well that depends on the person but I think if thinking day trips yes maybe a week - from San Sebastian (Donostia to Basque locals who may despise use of Spanish rulers San Sebastian) you could take the neat Eusko Tren -narrow-gauge commuter train to many places either way from Donostia - and to relocate for a while could take it to Hendaye, France and the train station there and do a short ride to Biarritz or St-Jean-de-Luz - two neat bases with character and seaside locations and bop around the French Basque country. Could just be a day trip from Donostia too.

Horarios de Tren | Euskotren
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Palen. This is the type info we were seeking.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 03:52 PM

thank you - can also take mainline trains from Donostia to some nearby cities - check www.bahn.de/en for easy-to-reference schedules and research towns nearby.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 04:10 PM
kja

Whether San Sebastian or any other location in the north of Spain makes sense depends, IMO, on the time of year -- which you don't seem to have mentioned. If you do go there, there are good bus connections between the cities and towns of the area.

If you don't already have it, I strongly recommend either the Michelin Green Guide or the Rough Guide for Spain.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

we intend to go in the fall, likely sept or oct. Fyi, we have spent time in Seville, Barcelona and Madrid. However, we would be pleased to revisit these .As older people, we don't want to move around a lot. We are looking for a place to stay a while with a lot of local walking sites, plus some day trips available. Thanks again.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 06:41 PM
kja

You might want to consult some "when to go" web-sites and various resources for climate data. I believe there's a huge film festival in San Sebastian in Sept, which might be something that either draws or repels you. And some might find that region a bit cool for their tastes by Oct. Others would consider it ideal.

And depending on your interests, you might want to consider Malaga rather than Cadiz.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 09:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I'd start in San Sebastian before moving onto Cadiz, if going in September when the weather in the north will be better. October in the north will probably be rainy.

Reasons are:
  • the film festival in San Sebastian usually starts about the 3rd week of September so hotel rates are exorbitant! I paid a small fortune for a tiny hotel room last September during the festival.
  • weather - it will be better in the north of Spain in early September yet still beautiful at the end of September in Cadiz.
Hope you have fun planning and a wonderful trip!

Last edited by joannyc; Aug 9th, 2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 12:08 AM

Climate data doe not say what will be happening when you are there. Neither will be able to give you a good guess. All information is based upon statistics.
All of those that can give you a prediction are wasted on this forum and should be working for a weather forecast company, especially in Spain where the forecast is never good for much.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 12:33 AM
kja

Originally Posted by ribeirasacra
Climate data doe not say what will be happening when you are there. .... All information is based upon statistics.
@ ribeirasacra: Thank you so much for once again pointing out the obvious! That YOU do not know how to use or interpret statistics does NOT mean that the rest of us won't find them of value.

Last edited by kja; Aug 10th, 2018 at 12:42 AM.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone. I will check on the film festival since this will not interest us. Since no dates are set, we can work around this. Couple of years ago our month in Malaga was in Jan/Feb, and it was very cool in the morning, but sunny in the afternoon. Very pleasant. I assumed Cadiz would be about the same. Didn't think about the rain in the north. Might consider skipping SS, and selecting another town. That's what I am asking help to decide. Have already spent time in Barcelona and Madrid, and will likely spend another couple of days in Madrid. Looking more for a small historic town, perhaps Ronda if transportation is not an issue.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 05:27 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I was in Cadiz in late October and it was lovely. A special place.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 05:57 AM

We were in San Sebastián for a whole week two years ago smack in the middle of the film festival, and had we not noticed posters around town advertising some of the events, would have had no idea it was happening. We loved SS and took a number of daytrips from there, both by bus and in a car with friends who had one.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
I was in Cadiz in late October and it was lovely. A special place.
look at this the North was even better.
https://noticias.eltiempo.es/avisos-...-hasta-cuando/
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by kja
@ ribeirasacra: Thank you so much for once again pointing out the obvious! That YOU do not know how to use or interpret statistics does NOT mean that the rest of us won't find them of value.
Thank you for informing me about my education. I do understand how statics are gathered. That is why I warn other members about them.
Statistics can be quite damaging for the quest for knowledge.
“There is no way that we can predict the weather six months ahead beyond giving the seasonal average”
― Stephen Hawking
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all input. At this time, we have decided not to include SS on this trip. Instead we will likely use Cadiz as a base. We will likely spend a couple of days in Ronda. Any hotel recommendations near new bridge/old town ? Then we will likely spend a few days in Madrid.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 03:22 PM

could even hop over to Morocco for a few days! Algerciras ain't far from Cadiz is it by bus - and frequent ferries to Tangiers. Think outside of box.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks PalenQ- We have been there and it was not a very pleasant experience. Had to fight the rug merchants and their agents. If there was a way to avoid them, we would love to see the area again. BTW, we love your postings. Very helpful. Please continue your good work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -