Recommendations for 14 days in Portugal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Portugal for 14 full days, we'd like to get a broad overview of the country, so I'm looking for any suggestions on places that are "must sees" or "total skips". We fly into Faro and then out of Porto from the end of September to Early October. We will be using public transportation, and I have noted www.theseat61.com is a good place for advice on that. Our rough overview is 4 nights in the Algarve region (2 in Tavira, 2 in Lagos), then head up to Lisbon for 7 nights, doing day trips to Evora, Obidos, Sintra, Estoril and Cascais. Head north for a night in Tomar, a night Coimbra, then 3 nights in Porto with a day trip to Douro Valley, before heading out.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? All input will be appreciated.
Old Jul 24th, 2018, 06:05 AM

Sounds like you are hitting many highlights - so loks good to me - and yes book trains early for discounted tickets at www.cp.pt - Portugeuse Railways site and yes www.seat61.com has keen insights on doing that - for general info on trains - like benefits of first-class over 2nd-class travel, etc also BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 06:33 AM

I'd consider adding a day to Porto and doing a day trip by train to Guimares or Braga - two fantastic old towns.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the tip on Porto. Do you think it’s okay to skip Nazaré and that part of the coast? Since we will go up to Óbidos as a day trip but that’s all we have planned for that part of the country.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 07:45 AM

Nazare was to me a very nice old seaside town but on limited time would not go out of my way to hit it but IMO after staying in Lagos and Tavira though those are nice old towns I did not care much for the Algarve and wouled suggest a stay in Nazre for a few days could be sweet - I used it as a base fromwhich to day trip to nearby Albaca and Batlha - each with UNESCO World Heritage monasteries.But, if into swimming the waters of Algarve I believe would be warmer at that time of year. If staying in say Tavira and driving to Lisbon I'd hit Evora en route - nice town to stay the night in and then go on to Lisbon.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 10:25 AM

I'd say you don't need a full day in Obidos. The town is cute, but I felt like I'd done it justice within a couple of hours.It would also be a long day trip from Lisbon. I'd say skip Obidos in favor of two days in Sintra or a day trip to Guimaraes from Porto.

For me Cascais is a must-visit. It will probably be too cold to lie on the beach in September/October, but it's a beautiful little town with quite a bit to see.

I'm currently but slowly writing up my trip, so you can click on my name and trip report to get the full explanation behind my opinions.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 01:29 PM

I thought that Obidos was exceptional but like memejs says a few hours was enough but it is very mobbed during day often with tour buses so staying overnight could be cool too!
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 05:06 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We liked Nazaré much more than Obidos and had a delicious seafood lunch there.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 05:33 AM

Don't skip the Douro. It is fantastic!
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 05:52 AM

Hi! I would skip Obidos. It felt like a theme park to me. Consider cutting back a night in Lisbon and overnighting in Evora - it was one of our favorite places in Portugal. We also enjoyed our two nights in Nazare.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 07:28 AM

Stay overnight at Obidos to savor it - when bus tour hoards have gone - yes in daytime has become so popular the tiny town can be overwhelmingly popular in recent years.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 11:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have lodging in Lisbon yet? The Hotel Avenida Palace is fantastic. Beautiful historic hotel, excellent customer service, amazing breakfast buffet included, served in a gorgeous dining room. It is next to the Rossio train station, and Square. Great location for walking.

We also liked Cascais a lot. You can get off the train at the stop before Cascais @ Estoril, and walk the short distance to Cascais along the water. There's a beautiful hotel at Cascais, right on the water, where we stopped for a very nice lunch. (Not inexpensive, but worth it for the view)
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 11:11 AM

Nazare - recall local fishermen's wives (I guess) grilling fresh-caught fish in front of houses on little lanes - a real treat and a true local delicacy.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 05:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We stayed overnight in Obidos, a waste of time. Very nice Pousada though.A few hours there is more than enough.
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 06:06 AM

Few folks here seem to really like Obidos after all the hype about it - I'm with Happy Trvlr - I stopped for a few hours and rather liked it but did not care about staying longer. That is a nice pousada though, being built part into town's ancient ramparts. Just too many tour groups now during day in a small but yes neat old ramparted hill town.
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 09:22 AM

You seem to be hitting all the right spots. Liked Obidos for a few hours...pretty little town (our trip was 2 years ago). Loved Pinhao in Duoro valley. Spent a night in Marvao which we loved but may not be feasible for you. Consider adding a visit to a mountain town like Monsaraz (reachable from Evora) to your itinerary.
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

These are all fabulous tips!! I am truly grateful and am getting so excited to go. I think we may cut a night back in the Algarve add Evora, cut 2 nights out of Lisbon add a night in Sintra and Pinhao. I think I've given up on having a base as it doesn't make sense and we'll have backpacks anyways. I would love to be able to write like memejs, very talented and detailed. definitely some good stuff in her posts. Thank you everyone for the input!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 03:39 AM

I think you’ve made some good adjustments to your itinerary. If you plan on spending the night in Pinhao, take a look at Casa do Visconde de Chanceleiros. We spent two fabulous nights there and it was a highlight of our trip. Beautiful old manor home high above the river. There’s a pool and gorgeous gardens. They serve dinner there too which is not to be missed. Typical Portuguese cuisine accompanied by great local wines. It was the best food we had on our whole trip. You’re going to love portugal!