Minnesota in late August

Search

Minnesota in late August

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minnesota in late August

My husband and I (in our early 50's) enjoy visiting baseball stadiums and are considering a trip to see the Minnesota Twins in late August. Having never been to Minnesota, we thought it might be a fun vacation destination. Maybe 10 days or so exploring the Minneapolis area (including the state fair, MOA, etc), as well as a drive up to the Duluth area and Superior, Wisconsin. We live in a hot desert climate and would love to escape the summer heat. Will we find the Minnesota area to be miserable with heat and humidity? And I keep seeing comments about huge mosquitoes? Will I be eaten alive like in Hawaii? The one good thing about dry desert heat is that the bug factor is very minimal in our area. I'm just trying figure out if we would enjoy the area in the late summer? Or if we should hold off and visit the area at another time of year? Any thoughts on a better time to visit? Any suggestions on other stops between Minneapolis and Duluth? Is Eau Claire worth a visit? Any other must see destinations in the area?
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 12:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Just bring some bug spray and you will be ok. I love the area around Duluth's canal park. Drive up at least to Two Harbors, It will be cool along the lake.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 06:12 AM

Late August is generally not really hot and humid but it is definitely a possibility. It should be cooler further north.

If you want reliably cooler temps, the Twins have a homestand from September 25th through the 30th. You'll see some fall color in the northern part of the state with fairly minimal mosquito issues.

Eau Claire is not really a tourist destination. There are plenty of places to visit in Minnesota/Wisconsin. Go north of Duluth at least as far as Grand Marais, head to Bayfield in Wisconsin, you could visit Itasca State park or Ely as well in 10 days.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The two most miserably hot and humid places I’ve ever been are the Yucatán and the Minnesota State Fair in August.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 01:22 PM

Average high in the Twin Cities in August is 81, in September it is 72. It can vary by about 15 degrees in either direction but those extremes are rare. We've averaged 2-3 90 degree days in August over the last decade.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 05:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The Minnesota State Fair is a fun experience. In Minneapolis, Take walks aeound the city lakes and deive out to Lake Minneronka for a larger lake experience, Wayzata too. The Twins new ballpark is quite nice, easily walkable from any place downtown. Make sure you visit the University of Minnesota too, mostly on the east bank of the Mississippi. Do not miss the Walker Art Center. Weather will be fine late August.