Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Fiji vs Mauritius, or Moorea? Have not decided?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fiji vs Mauritius, or Moorea? Have not decided?5/4/18

Please advise me if anyone in Fodors has any suggestions for September or October travel for 1 adult trying to decide where to travel with the choices being Fiji, Mauritus, and Moorea? Might want to travel to Australia, if i can fit into a budget?
Traveling from the west coast (CA) USA

Islands I have traveled in the past: Mahe, Seychelles, and Hawaii (Maui and Oahu)

What I like to do:

Art, dirt cart, culture, cuisine, hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, wildlife, and relax

September or October

Affordable hotel or bure/hut?
(When giving advice, keep in mind, I might also be traveling to another destination as well?)

Budget:
5 nights, 1000-1500 USD total, for 1 adult, includes food and optionals? Does Not include RT airfare
under $150 night includes pool, and meals, option to to buy food, snacks and water at store?
-Not interested in paying $25 US Dollars for each meal!
-Not interested in hanging out with a bunch of tourists, more interested in the culture i'm visiting, not tourism!
-Water treated on these islands safe to drink water
-Safety issues?
-Humidity, low, medium, or high? (Sept or October)
-Able to buy food at store, or only can purchase all inclusive with Hotel or Bure?
-Cautions for not getting sunburned, happened only once!

Thank you,

br125
Old May 10th, 2018, 06:08 AM

Been to all three places. Personally, spouse and I weren't impressed with Mauritius and didn't think it was worth the travel time from mid-west USA so you might find it even more of a letdown when traveling from the west coast US. For us, there was nothing special or exotic about the island or it's people. Been there, doe that, don't have to do it again.

On the other hand we very much enjoyed Fiji and Moorea - they are both what you'd expect from a South seas island. That said, we found Bora Bora to be among our favorites in the South Pacific (it had the best snorkeling when compared to the other two on your list).

Don't remember seeing "dirt carts" on any island you mentioned but if by "dirt carts" you mean ATV's or other off roading adventures they are available on all the islands you mentioned.

Sorry, can't give recommendation for 'budget hotels" as we have a more upscale travel style. Likewise we always drink bottled water (Fiji Water is our preference) so can't comment on quality of tap water.

We had no safety issues.

As far as temperature & humidity is concerned - Daytimes highs will be about the same on all those islands in September & October (mid-80's F.). Mauritius will have higher Relative Humidity (about 85% to 90%) while the other islands will be in the 70% to 75% range.

Like anywhere else, you'll find food prices can vary significantly depending on whether you eat "street food" or very upscale dining. Yes, there are local grocery stores on those islands.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 08:26 PM

I think fiji should the best fit according to your likeness. you can do lot of Adventure sports, Scuba diving, kayaking moreover the hotels and resorts are pretty affordable. You can have a different cultural Experience and can enjoy some local food and tradition ceremonies.
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 12:26 AM

We were trying to decide on one of these locations as well for our honeymoon. I'm still researching each of these areas, especially Fiji and Tahiti since I've always wanted to visit these areas. We're still deciding on wh
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 03:18 AM

Snorkeling

We found the snorkeling to be excellent in Moorea ... right off of the beach of the Hillton. In Bora Bora, we had to take a kayak out to Coral Gardens to find equivalent snorkeling.