Two Grandmothers need Ireland Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2018, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I, both in our seventies, are hoping to go to Ireland in July and we would love to see itinerary suggestions. We are hoping to stay 10 days, on a conservative budget. We like sheer beauty, accessible castles, charming towns, local music, simple and authentic more than fancy. We are hoping to rent a car ( will our age be a problem?). Please include ways not to be rocked by unexpected fees for rentals. I have bad joints and a lung problem, so need to know the best contrivance to get around. I can't expect my friend to push me around unless it's fast and easy. I don't really need accessible lodging as long as it's no more than one flight of stairs. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old Apr 29th, 2018, 08:20 PM

I don’t think you will have a problem with renting a car at your age. Just get zero deductible insurance from the rental company and you won’t have any surprises for a dent or scratch. People here will offer other suggestions regarding insurance but sharing the car cost with a friend makes the slightly higher cost the most convenient if you should damage the car. You will be driving on the left side if you are not familiar with that so I recommend getting an automatic.

This forum encourages people to do their own research, but the convenience of using a company might work better for you. Try CIE tours. They offer independent travel packages. You get a car and vouchers for bed and breakfasts. You can even upgrade to spend a night in a castle. You then prebook your b&b’s on line on their web site and can research the homes to check for stairs, etc. I have used this company and I was happy with their service.

You can study the bus tours they offer and basically follow one of those routes but you have the luxury of customizing how many days you might want in each place. I’m a 69 year old Grandma and I have been renting cars in Europe for years and always loved the independence of having a car.

If you have a local travel agent, they could also help you with using CIE or another independent travel company. And lastly, don’t pack too much. You don’t want to be lugging a big suitcase in and out of b & b’s.

Last edited by rfbk50; Apr 29th, 2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old May 1st, 2018, 09:08 AM

Regarding car rental, if you are over 75, it can be a problem. We met a couple last month who ran into this. The rental company would only allow the wife to be a driver, since she was younger. At 75+, he would have been allowed to drive if he had proof of a clean driving record and a letter from his doctor advising that he was okay to drive.
Old May 1st, 2018, 09:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
In your situation and with all the extras of your circumstances, I would look into an organized tour in a small group situation. That way all your transportation will be taken care of for you. I really don't see how this is going to work very well with the two of you trying to self-drive, with such limited mobility. That also would be one way to not be "rocked by unexpected fees" or situations that are more than you are able to handle independently.
Old May 1st, 2018, 09:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
These companies popped up in a quick Google search. I have no experience with them. Even if you decide to not use them, you can check out the various itineraries they offer to pattern your own trip using some of their highlights:
https://www.roadscholar.org/collections/ireland/
https://www.myirelandtour.com/
https://vagabondtoursofireland.com/
https://www.cietours.com/us/ireland/...r/default.aspx
Old May 2nd, 2018, 04:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Public transportation is great in Ireland. The Leap card in Dublin allows you to use the dart, luas and bus system. The Dart train takes you up and down the coast to nice villages. There are great day tours out of Dublin and Galway. You can take the train to Killarney and then do day tours from there to the Ring of Kerry or take the bus and stay in Dingle. Yes, we can drive but I find it much more relaxing not to have to worry about driving. I like Wild Rover out of Dublin, Galway tour company from Galway for day tours. Stay in the center so you have things to do and places to eat at night.

You can take the train to Cork and Cobh also. I love Cobh.

Last edited by Macross; May 2nd, 2018 at 04:45 AM. Reason: ...