Tibet and political climate

Old Apr 11th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tibet and political climate

Hello...I've always had an interest in Tibet. Traveling there has piqued my interest. The reading I've done has left me with the impression that perhaps it might not be what I'm expecting and isn't that open to tourism. Any thoughts on the political climate in Tibet and thoughts about traveling there? I'm looking at companies the arrange tours out of Lhasa. Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 03:42 PM

It sounds to me like you have done enough research to have a sense of what the political climate is like. Be aware that the Chinese government shuts down the issuing of permits to visit Tibet for a time every year.

If you are interested in the religion and culture, there are places in India that have managed to preserve some of that, Dharmasala where the Dalai Lama now lives, Sikkim, and Ladakh.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Kathie , that is very helpful. I've got some new research to do!
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 05:08 AM

Sure you can travel to Tibet. You need to first get your Chinese visa. Then you find a tour operator for Tibet (you must join a tour). In addition to the visa you need a permit to visit Tibet and this is arranged by your tour operator..
You can also visit some Tibetan communities in China outside of Tibet with only your Chinese visa and without joining a tour.
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 09:41 AM

I went to Tibet for two+ weeks in 2006. I was in Japan at the time and made all my arrangements while there. I had already contacted a tour operator in Chengdu who told me the steps. First was the visa to China which was a breeze at the consulate in Tokyo. Then the tour operator sent me a voucher to download and return by fax for the credit card payment (scary!). I notified my bank in the states that there would be ONE credit card charge for X amount payable to the tour operator. I flew to Beijing, stayed one night at a hotel near the airport. The tour operator had already sent my "permit" and it was waiting for me. I was a tour of one! All of the arrangements were great and I had the most fantastic time. I had a young Tibetan woman as my "tour" guide and a driver with a Toyota Land Cruiser. It was really truly the experience of a lifetime.
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 11:26 AM

We were in Lhasa, Tibet in October 2018. Nice people, fun visit for three nights. The information on visitor permit is still correct. One thing to be aware of is the altitude. We secured a prescription for Dioximin (sp) prior to trip as the high altitude does effect your breathing. Our hotel had a doctor on staff to help with people having altitude sickness. They had one room that pumped in oxygen. Just do your research prior to trip.