Search

Jackson Hole, Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2018, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jackson Hole, Wyoming

We will be attending a wedding in Jackson Hole in July with our grandchildren
who are flying in from LA to meet us. we will be there for 6 days and we're wondering what would be some wonderful memory making experiences for a 14 year old and an 12 year old. I have heard that rafting on the Snake River is a must. As far as going to Grand Teton NP is a guided bus tour at sunrise/sunset
a good idea. We will be staying at Snow King Resort. We are open to all suggestions. this site is so informative...we love it.
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 04:57 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
While the Tetons are certainly majestic, I found Jackson a good stop for lunch on the way to Yellowstone but otherwise exceedingly dull. For something not dull, though a long drive, 2 1/2 hours each way but through unmatched scenery with possible wildlife sightings, I'd head for a day in Yellowstone seeing Old Faithful and adjacent geothermal features, lunch maybe at Old Faithful Lodge and a nice dinner at Old Faithful Inn before heading back. Best of all would be to stay in the park but it might be a stretch to find rooms for a group at this late date.
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 05:38 PM

Jackson, the town, is kind of quaint and very touristy. However, GTNP has so much to do! There are the raft trips on the Snake River that you already know of. In GTNP there is wonderful hiking, kayaking on the lakes at the foot of the Tetons, endless photography and wildlife opportunities. There is also a good wildlife museum just outside of Jackson to the north.

I would recommend looking in to a wildlife tour with one of the operators in Jackson. You have to get up before dawn and it's worth it!

You can also take advantage of some of the fun activities at the ski resorts. I know snow king has an alpine slide and they probably also have a zip line. Taking the tram up to the top of Jackson Hole ski resort is pretty amazing if that is something you have never done. The views are fantastic.

A day trip to Yellowstone would be a long drive and require a very early start. From Snow King it would be about 2 hours one way up to Old Faithful geyser basin.
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 06:34 PM

I totally agree with MmePerdue. Go to Yellowstone, at least for a day.
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 03:31 AM

I agree that Yellowstone is the "must". The Tetons are iconic--and you see them from everywhere you are in that valley. As for the float trip on the snake being a "must". I'd put it a "maybe" depending on your total time. If you do it, do it at dusk when you MAY see animals feeding. And it is a float trip--not a really exciting rafting trip.
Try for some lodging in Yellowstone--might get a cancellation.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 04:59 AM

We did the morning raft through on the Snake River a few years back with Barker-Ewing. It was amazing! Although it was summer, the morning was chilly, especially on the water. Our guide who has been a guide with the Baker for 20 years was great. He knew where all the eagle nests were - we saw at least 7 bald eagles on our trip. I would highly recommend them!

I would also recommend spending a day in Yellowstone. It will be a solid day of driving, but you'll see some spectacular sights along the way.

In the Tetons there are lots of historical structures, scenic areas and great hiking. Take the boat ride across Jenny Lake and a short hike to Inspiration Point or Hidden Falls.

You can't go wrong with whatever you choose to do, it's such a beautiful area!
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 10:38 AM

If you click on my user name, you will see trip reports for Jackson, GTNP, and Yellowstone with kids. We did do a week in Jackson/GTNP and had fun. But if the kids have never been to Yellowstone, you must take them. Even if only for a day.
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions...We will certainly try to get to Yellowstone with the kids...
So happy to be coming West. So much to see.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 04:41 AM

My kids were that age when we went to Jackson Hole. There is a lot of hiking of all levels so I'm sure you can find some that match your abilities. It is gorgeous! We took a half day white water rafting trip which was a blast! The kids loved it and it wasn't too hard. You must drive up to Yellowstone for a day. We did it in a day trip and it was fine. It's a long drive but it is interesting and well worth it. Make sure you pack a fleece. It was very warm in Jackson but quite chilly in Yellowstone. You will make so many memories! My kids are grown now but they still say that was their favorite trip.
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 03:59 AM

We spent a week in the Tetons at a ranch that used to be there near the town of Kelly and the Gros Ventre Slide. Google that for background--it was the largest land mass slide ever recorded and is very interesting to see if you have time.
There are probably chuckwagon dinner stagecoach trips, horseback riding, fly fishing. You should contact your hotel and ask what they offer just for starters.
I will reiterate about the "rafting". We are from NC and the guide there on the Snake made it clear that this was not a whitewater trip as we might have here!! It IS fun, if the animals are out at dusk--and the eagles.