Search

20 days - Austria - Czech Republic - Bratislava

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2018, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20 days - Austria - Czech Republic - Bratislava

Hi,

Me and my wife (plus 2 and 6 year old kids) are planning a 20 day trip in June-July.

The focus would be on Austria:

- 5 nights in Vienna (including a day trip to Bratislava)
- 2 nights in Graz
- 2 nights in Innsbruck
- 4 nights in Salzburg (daytrips in the surrounding area)
- 2 nights in Linz
- 1 night in Cesky Krumlov
- 4 nights in Prague

Looking up on the map, this seemed to me a logic itinerary, which avoids passing through the same roads more than once.

We would like to hear your opinion about the plan: are the roads specially interesting (to the point it's worthwhile driving instead of catching a train)? Are the above mentioned cities enjoyable for kids? We wouldn't like to skip Vienna, Salzburg, Cesky Krumlov and Prague, but what do you think of the other citites we cited? Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 04:47 PM

Looks wonderful to me - I would not change a thing. But if renting car in Austria and taking it to Czech Republic and returning it there result in steep surcharges you may want to take trains/bus Linz - C K and then to Prague - kids may enjoy a little training or drive the car back from Prague to Vienna = taking some of 5 days there at start to the end. For lots on trains check: . For lots on trains check www.seat61.com (great insights on discounted train tickets available); www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Yes driving with a family would be wonderful. Seek out scenic roads and not necessarly stick to Autobahns - like between Innsbruck and Salzburg take the longer inland all thru Austria route than the quicker autobahn route that goes largely thru Germany and is less scenic than the other that goes down a lovely Alpine valley much of the way.

Near Linz you could visit the Mauthausen Concentration Camp/Memorial - kids are too young to be affected and easy to drive to near Linz: https://www.mauthausen-memorial.org/en.

Hopefully fourfourtravel will see this thread as he/she lives in Ausrtria and has traveled widely with a family in those areas.

Near Vienna don't miss Melk and the Wachau Valley - a gorgeous stretch of Danube with vineyards and cute wine towns dotting the way. Kids may enjoy the boats that ply this stretch of Danube.

Last edited by PalenQ; Mar 19th, 2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 05:32 AM

Probably booked already to fly out of Prague but if not consider yes driving back to Vienna (if dropoff costs are high, etc) and motoring along Wachau Valley en route to Vienna.
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 01:52 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
The routes can be interesting, depending on how much time you want to take moving from one point to another. There are numerous castles, ruins, lakes, and so forth that can serve as lunch stops (road food in Austria is lackluster) and places for the children to burn off a little energy. I am on my own holiday at the moment, but would be happy to suggest scenic routes when I return home in early April.

Without knowing your interests, I might ask, "Why Linz?" for two nights. Or even, "Why Linz?" at all.

Happy Planning!
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ:

Thank you for the inputs on scenic routes connecting Innsbruck to Salzburg and for telling us about the Wachau Valley.

And y
ou're right: we will fly out of Prague, that's why we are not returning to Vienna.

But I suppose it is feasible visiting Wachau Valley, Melk and Krems anyway as a day trip from Vienna, am I right?

I guess it would not be a good idea going to Malthausen with my 6 year old kid: too curious about everything...

Fourfortravel:

Thank you for taking your time too.

Linz was chosen just because it's halfway between Salzburg and Cesky Krumlov and we assumed it had nice things to do and see in it.

But after your comment I guess we will have to rethink the visit to that city... we could skip it if it is not interesting. Any suggestions to substitute Linz? Maybe going from Salzburg to C. Krumlov passing through Germany or other austrian cities?

I accept your help offer in April !

Anyone else? Your help is great and avoids huge mistakes during trip planning.
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 05:39 PM

Yup I'd suggest Hallstatt and high Alps around this cute small town on a placid lake over Linz and drive to C Krumlov.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hall...ih=633&dpr=1.5

And near Hallstatt are salt mines to slide down and be carried around in too.
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Great views, and the salt mines are a good idea too. Hallstatt is now officially part of the trip!
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 10:39 AM

Trains to Hallsatt let you off at the train station across the lake and you take boats to the town or buses - boats much nicer IMO.
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 10:30 PM

Are you still in search of a scenic driving itinerary, or are you committed to the train?
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

It's going to be train from Vienna to Bratislava and back; from Vienna to Wachau Valley and back; from Vienna to Innsbruck; and from Salzburg to Linz.

We are taking the bus from Linz to Cesky Krumlov and from there to Prague.

During the 10 days between Innsbruck and Salzburg, we are still doing research to decide: train, car or motorhome.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a direct bus from Salzburg to CK.

I would recommend more time in Innsbruck to allow for day trips up the Ziller valley and to the Stubai glacier.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 06:32 AM

Check Willkommen - Austria's low-cost train concession for low prices always for trains. ÖBB - Startseite - Austrian state railways site has cheap fares if you book (in stone) weeks in advance too.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 07:09 AM

"It's going to be train from Vienna to Bratislava and back; from Vienna to Wachau Valley and back; from Vienna to Innsbruck; and from Salzburg to Linz."

The Vienna-Bratislava ticket (Euregio Slovakia) can be purchased at the train station; trains run frequently so there is little need to purchase in advance. Just be certain to ticket to hlavná stanica (the main train station; the other station is not near the city center.) Your Euregio ticket will also be good for public transportation in Bratislava. There are three ways to reach the Stare Mesto (Old City); two are below, and the third is of course to walk (about 15 minutes.)
  • Bus line 93: Exit at the 2nd stop "Hodzovo nam." next to the presidential palace or the 3rd stop "Zochova", and go through the underpass by foot into the centre.
  • Tram line 1: Exit at the stops "Postová" or "Kapucínska". When returning to the station, exit at the "Safarikovo nam." stop next to Eurovea or "Namestie SNP" next to the pedestrian area.
There are numerous combinations of train/boat tickets to the Wachau Valley from Vienna, depending on what you want to see. Plan carefully. (And, should this be on your itinerary, the trek up to the Durnstein ruins is not well suited for poor footwear, out-of-shape persons, or really young children.)
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 06:54 AM

Be sure to leave time for Melk abbey - if interested get combo tickets that include abbey admission - trains to Melk - boat to Durnstein - bus to Krems and train back to Vienna.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cruzeirense
It's going to be train from Vienna to Bratislava and back
Probably too late for this reply but...why not take the Rejiojet bus from Vienna’s Stadion bus station (right next to the U2 Stadion Ubahn) to Bratislava’s Most SNP bridge bus station? You can check regioJet’s website for schedules and the fare is about €5 each way. Much easier when you get to Bratislava as the Most SNP bus station is right in the middle of where you’ll want to be - close to the Castle, the church, the square etc.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Not too late. Just in time. Thank you for the information!
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 02:34 PM

I've taken trains to both Bratislava stations - the commuter train from Vienna terminated on other side of Danube about a mile from old town - the old main station is not so bad as there are some neat parks and villas between it and town center - but bus sounds super cheap and best of all for arriving in town center. Well hovercraft do too, another option from Vienna - dock right in town center under the castle.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ
. Well hovercraft do too, another option from Vienna - dock right in town center under the castle.
I’ll have to try this next trip! I saw that the boat starts in Vienna at Schwedenplatz right under the bridge but wasn’t sure where they docked in Bratislava. Did the boat ride have a scenic, pretty view or was it so-so?
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 02:23 PM

I did not take boat but saw them tied up at dock - don't think that stretch of Danube especially scenic but just a guess - best part of Danube in this area is northwest of Vienna - Wachau Valley area and this stretch certainly not like that.