Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting around in Santorini for a big group (with kids)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites:

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked here countless times. I tried to do a search but could not find anything or maybe I did not enter in all the right terms or maybe I do not know how to use the new Search

A big group of us (26 - 16 grown ups and 10 kids) is going to be in Santorini for 2 days (3 nights). We will be staying at this AirBnb (in Mesario) : https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1415841...65429052535440

What is the best way to get around the island? I did some research online and it seems like a lot of people are recommending buses or rental cars. The challenge is with the rental cars is that we would need a couple of mini-vans for all of us and I am not sure how challenging these will be to drive and park given that Santorini is not that big of an island. The challenge with the buses is that I have read that they become hot and crowded in peak season and require some amount of waiting around/coordination (might be challenging with the kids).

Are taxis an option? I had originally (naively/foolishly) thought we might just use Uber (or whatever version of Uber is available). But I don't think this is an option. Thoughts?
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 01:12 PM

Yes, the buses can be crowded from June through August. Finding parking can be a huge hassle and time-waster. Taxis are available but can only take 4 people at a time so if everyone is going someplace specific that could get expensive, assuming you can get 5-6 taxis to pick all of you up at a pre-determined time. For a group that size I recommend you hire a driver and vehicle large enough for all of you. If you plan your outings carefully it should be "doable". There are plenty of transfer companies on the island so you should be able to find one that fits your needs. Here's one company to start your search: Santorini Taxi,Santorini transfers
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks @brotherleelove2004, I love this idea! I've written to a few companies including Santorini Taxi. Let's hope we are able to work something out with them! Driving/parking big buses on the island sounds painful from everything I have read so far in my research!
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Any other suggestions?

Based on @brotherleelove2004's suggestion, I've written to a few companies and a couple have responded with some rates (from 1200 Euros to 1980 Euros... including airport pick up and ferry port drop off). Its quite a range, let's see what some others say.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 05:27 AM

Wow! You need a whole bus to yourself Why not ask how much would that cost at a travel agency or someone organizing tour guides around the island? Basically what you need is your own bus and driver. Taxis won't do. Or you could rent 2-3 mini bans.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks @anniesweetiepie. My friend worked with the AirBnb host to get us 2 mini buses and 2 drivers (I think 18 passengers each!) Sounds massive....let's see how we get around on the tiny island. The good thing is somebody else is doing the driving