A familiar refrain, please help me fine tune Slovenian (& Trieste) days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2018, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts

At the end of September; I’m ending an Eastern European trip that begins in Krakow and Prague, slides down the Danube on a river cruise that ends in Budapest, and after 3 nights there, will rent a car and drive to Slovenia where we’ll fly home from Ljubljana. (Yes, I know about and accept the drop off charge as the better evil of flying or training there)

My initial plan is to drive to Logarska Dolina (2 nts) (think I could get by with 1 night for the scenery but hate one night stands): then Lake Bled (2 nts): drive across Vrsic Pass (weather permitting, could have snow?) and spend night in Kobarid; then on to Trieste for 3 nights; and drop car before staying in Ljubljana for 3 nights: I would really like to drop one or two nights if possible since this is getting to be a long trip:

Questions: instead of staying in the Alps, is there a town you’d recommend in the karst/wine region instead in case we can’t make it across the Pass? I was planning to go to Piran, which would only take 2 nights; but I thought Trieste looked like it has more to offer especially as it could be raining that time of year. Do you think I could do Trieste justice in just 2 nights. And, I know many of you think Ljubljana only deserves 2 nights (1 day) but I think I’d like another day there. I had planned on 4 nights in Budapest but think Slovenia deserves the day instead....what do you think?

sure appreciate your thoughts on this:
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trieste to me was surprisingly neat - especially 2nd time I visited after 30 years before. 2 nights and a full day IMO would be sufficient though you could always do things like visit the Austrian monarch's seaside vacation home west of town too - Miramare or something it's called.

If taking trains Krakow-Prague there is a night train that could save lots of time if not flying and even then. For lots on trains check www.seat61.com (excellent advice on booking your own discounted tickets online); www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 01:15 PM

I liked Trieste but was fine with just one night there. On the other hand, if you book a couple nights there and have seen enough on day one you can do a day trip to Udine and Cividale from Trieste and I found both of them very interesting. - Zenfolio | Isabel's_View | Treviso, Trieste, Udine, Civadale

I loved Piran - it was hot and sunny when I was there so I agree that if it's raining not much to do there, but it really is a lovely place. Zenfolio | Isabel's_View | Slovenia

I was also content with Lake Bled as just a day trip from Ljubljana. I walked (slowly) around the entire lake and went up to the castle in that amount of time. In fact, if you are worried about rain I would suggest maybe adding one day to Ljubljana and doing Lake Bled as a day trip. That way you have the flexibility of going on a sunny day.

That would actually save you a day (4 Ljubljana including day trip to Lake Bled vs 3 in Ljubljana and 2 in Lake Bled) and I would keep that day in Budapest. Plenty to do there for 4 nights - Zenfolio | Isabel's_View | Budapest, Krakow, Prague
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 04:34 PM
kja

It really depends on what you want to see and do, but FWIW, I would find 3 nights too little for Budapest and 3 nights one too many for Ljubljana (which is absolutely charming, IMO, but quite small). I’m glad I had 2 nights in Bled – but in addition to what isabel mentioned, I also visited the Vintgar Gorge with a long hike on the way back and took a pletna to the island and explored it.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

ThanksPalenQ and Isabel for your good suggestions. I do want to see Castello Miramare but I could cut one night here. And I’ll check your train site for Krakow to Prague bur will skip the night train...I like a good nights sleep!
i hate to relegate Bled to a day trip since a photo of it is what made me first want to visit Slovenia! But, I could look into one night if I skip seeing Lake Bohinj. And, I really need to research Budapest in more detail before I commit to number of days. Just trying to nail down dates so I can buy international airfare from US
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for weighing in Kia. Ok, 4 nights Budapest and 2 nights Ljubljana ....so, still think 2 nights in Lake Bled because I also want to do those activities. I’m also thinking of adding a second night to Kobarid area to avoid the dreaded one night where you basically can’t see or do anything.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

I’ve relooked at this and have decided to cut out either the Logarska Dolina stop or the Kobarid stop. I’m leaning toward keeping Logarska because there’s a tourist farm there that looks appealing....and there’s a good possibility we couldn’t cross the Alps mountain pass. If I was in Kobarid,I’d want to stay at Nebesa, which is very expensive. This leaves me with 2 nights each at Logarska Dolina, Lake Bled, Trieste and Ljubljana . That makes my total trip 28 days which is plenty.
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 07:18 AM

Difficult decision. We loved Loigarska Dolina valley...I would not cut that...the views were lovely. We stayed in Bovec at Dobra Vila Bovec which was also quite lovely after Vrsic pass. From lake Bled I agree it would be good time spent to visit Lake Bohinj...
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mnag, I’m really wondering if we should cut Trieste and put the alps back in. Might make the trip easier to enjoy things along the way.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

nmag, looked up Dobra Vila Bocec and it looks really lovely. Perhaps we’ll stay there after going over the pass. Thank you!