10 days in Peru : 2017 Trip Report

Search

10 days in Peru : 2017 Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2018, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day 10 : Monday, Dec 25th :
Got up late and had a leisurely breakfast. Great views from hotel rooftop restaurant, of the plaza with the mountains in background.

We left and walked to the Mercado a few blocks away. Very similar to San Pedro market of Cusco, and nothing much to see. Then we took a taxi to Yanahuara area, to the Mirador Plaza. Nice views, where we sat for awhile. Then we slowly walked to the bridge Puente Graf, and then past San Lazaro area, with nice white houses. Then went to an excellent restaurant for lunch – a fine dining place called “Chicho….something”. Very good food. Then back to the hotel for rest. There was not much to do today, and we were whiling away time. Many establishments were closed on account of Christmas Day.

In the evening, we went to one of balcony restaurants of main Plaza, and had a round of drink. Then walked to Pisco Museum and had another drink. Then slowly walked back. We picked up some food from McDonalds and ate at the plaza, as most restaurants were closed. Then back to hotel for an early night. Not sure if we had spent one day too many in Arequipa.

The next morning, we started from hotel at 5:30 am, and boarded a 7am flight to Lima. Some changeover time at Lima, after which we were on a 12:20 pm flight to JFK, reaching at 8 pm. We then had an 11 pm flight to Dubai, and then on to Mumbai. So it was a long long return journey, going from Arequipa to Lima to JFK to Dubai and finally to India.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

This brings me to the end of my Trip Report. Hope you enjoyed it. We did enjoy Peru, but if I had to do it again, I might have cut out Arequipa. Would be happy to answer any questions.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 10:53 AM

Glad you had a good trip. Re Arequipa I also had a hard time finding really good, not overpriced restaurants. I enjoyed Catalina Monastery (went back for the evening tour also), two of the Museums (the Ice Maiden one and the one at the University), the painted part of the Campania chapel (requires paid admission) and some of the adjacent courtyards of sillar construction, visiting a few of the old mansions, and eating at and visiting the market (designed by Eiffel). Great displays of produce, local cheeses and seafood and a good comedor lower level for eating. It was the only place I was able to find one of those embroidered Colca Canyon hats that was not pastel. I didn't care for the plaza area or the Cathedral and was a bit underwhelmed by Yanahuara. I liked my old sillar construction hotel (Casa de Melgar) not far from the Catalina Monastery. The old part of Arequipa is required to maintain that color theme that you enjoyed in Catalina. . Of course also the views of the volcanoes (good ones can also be had if you go to the upper levels of the Catalina Monastery).
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 04:31 PM
kja

Thanks for your response, indiancouple, and thanks again for posting such an informative trip report! I know I’ll be consulting it again (along with mlgb’s comments) before I leave for my trip.

Those flights must be killers….
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

mlgb, unfortunately we were in Arequipa on Christmas day, when almost everything was closed. I had not realized this while making the bookings. So many of the good sights that you refer to were actually closed. The Santa Catalina monastery was truly incredible, and the only thing we really enjoyed in Arequipa. We would have loved to go back there again, but that too was not open to the public on Christmas.
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 06:57 AM

Oh dear, the actual Christmas Day isn't a good one for seeing sights, is it? At least you were able to get into the #1 site in Arequipa.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 09:14 AM

Enjoyed your report as well. Thank you for posting. Looking at a possible third trip to Peru and looking at new things to do so got some good ideas.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 09:33 AM

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
indiancouple, thanks for taking the time to write a trip report. You were smart to book a guide for Machu Picchu...we visited for two days also and I think we would have gotten so much more out of the experience with a guide for one day. Thought the train back was also a fun experience.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

When you refer to the "fun" on the return train journey, are you referring to the fashion show which the train staff put up ? I thought that was enjoyable too.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 10:54 AM

yes, the fashion show was entertaining and the scenery was good too.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 06:19 PM
kja

I'm currently planning my time in Peru, so....
@ barefoot beach: Were there no guides at Machu Picchu when you reached it?
@ indiancouple: Can you say more about your decision to hire a guide for Machu Picchu in advance?
Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 05:59 AM

kja, we had decided to do it on our own so didn't have a guide there. We had used a good guide in the Ollyantambo area to visit the area...if you like, I can try to find his name.
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 05:20 PM
kja

@ barefootbeach: Thanks! I know that I do want a guide for Machu Picchu, and currently plan to hire one at the gate; I do not anticipate hiring a guide for Olllantaytambo, but appreciate the offer.
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

We had arranged a guide in advance through our hotel at Aguas Calientes. He accompanied us on the bus journey from Aguas Calientes to the Machu Picchu site, and gave us an excellent understanding of the site when we entered. He was with us for the entire afternoon, and I am glad we had taken his help. The following day, we did not need a guide, and wandered on our own. I understand that you can also get guides at the entrance gate of the site.
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 05:01 PM
kja

Thanks, indiancouple!
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 07:15 AM

indiancouple, your review has been so helpful to me -- I'm planning a trip for 5 "seniors" this fall & have referred to your notes frequently. Thanks much!!
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

You are welcome mb222. Enjoy !