Milan and then what?

Search

Milan and then what?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2018, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milan and then what?

Impulsively, I bought a ticket fo Milan. First mistake. Now I am caught trying to think what to do from there. A bit of a panic. In my Fodorites experience, do i go to the Lakes or to Cinque Terra? Which is easier to do without a car? I have been to Rome and the Capri area so i would like something different. Where did you stay for day trips? I will spend one day in Milan to do the big sights. I hope someone can suggest some direction. Thanks (and yea I am off to a bookstore to find find travel books).
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 04:15 AM

Why is buying a ticket to Milan a mistake? The same could be said of Rome.

Before suggestions the time of year and number of available days is essential for a reasoned response.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 04:28 AM

Only one day in Milan? THAT would be your mistake.

There are countless places you can easily get to by train from Milan. Your guidebooks and online searches should fill you in on that.

And yes, we have to know when you're going and for how long.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

It will be August. By “mistake”, I meant “my mistake” or booking a ticket before doing some research. I will be in Italy for 10 days.I know I would like to go to Verona. I like architecture and history so I am sure I can figure out a lovely trip. Has anyone used a good guide?
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 04:44 AM

By "guide" do you mean a book or a human? If the latter, I've never felt the need to tour around Milan with a guide. All the information you need is there for the taking in guidebooks and thousands of internet sites. If you want one, though, check out the official Milan website.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 04:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In August I would go to Turin and either the mountains near Turin or the Dolomites. I would not go near the CT.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 05:10 AM

Do you want to go to the highest mountains and longest glaciers of Europe, to lakes, waterfalls, castles, palaces, museums, churches, sanctuaries, abbeys and cathedrals, outstanding museums of all kinds (science, technique, paintings, History, ethnography, oldtimers, steam locomotives, umbrellas......), seawater acquariums, famous restaurants, luxurous shops, outlets, beaches....?
Everything is possible within 3 hrs around Milan.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 05:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to go to Verona, then I'd suggest Lake Garda and Venice, spending half the time in each place. There are lots of places to stay around the lake but only two villages on the rail line--Desenzano and Peschiera, both at the southern end and both worth using as a base. Desenzano appeals to me more.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 06:05 AM

Milan is definitely NOT a mistake.

True story: I planned a trip to Italy a number of years ago. Rome, Naples, the Amalfi Coast, Assisi, and Florence. We spent the last day in Milan as were flying out the next morning.

I hired a private tour guide for the afternoon who was able to book us two tickets to see the Last Supper. Bottom line: that 15 minutes in front of da Vinci's classical masterpiece was literally the highlight of our entire trip. To be alone with one of the classics of art history with just a dozen people in the room (capacity controlled to protect the fresco) was pure heaven. And we saw some very interesting things on our walking tour as well.

So take full advantage of being in Milan. Then, follow the train tracks to wherever your fancy takes you!
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the encouragement and suggestions. I am feeling better about my impulsiveness. I am definately going to book my time to linger with the art. I am going to start a new thread for hotel suggestions, but feel free to post here. I am looking for 200 or under, close to restaurants/cafes.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 02:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow. I don't think a ticket to Milan is a mistake at all! I'd pair it with Venice and split my time between those two cities.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 02:48 PM

I love Venice, Verona etc. ... but August will be hot. Does hot weather bother you? I'd probably head to the lakes.
But, you can't lose no matter which direction you take.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 03:07 PM

If you've never been to Venice, and you are interested in Verona, then I'd take the train to Venice upon arrival and spend two nights. This is not an ideal time to see Venice, but since you'll be so close it would be worthwhile. However I wouldn't spend much time there as it will be hot and crowded. See it, but hopefully you'll get a chance to get back.

Then train to Verona for 3-4 nights. You can also do numerous day trips from there (Vicenza, Padua, Bologna - all worth days each, but if you want to see another town all of these are very worthwhile and easy day trips).

Then train back to Milan for the remainder of your time. Plenty of worthwhile day trips from there is you run out of stuff to do in Milan itself. Including Bergamo, Pavia, Parma, Lake Como, Lugano, etc.

You could spends weeks covering the area around Milan and between there and Venice. So you'll have to just pick and choose what interests you most.

In Milan I can highly recommend Hotel Berna. Very nice hotel, decent price and absolutely the best breakfast buffet I've ever had (and I've stayed in hundreds of hotels). Close Milano Centrale for easy day trips and access to airports, plus a metro stop and only a 20 minute walk to the Duomo.

Photos - Zenfolio | Isabel's_View | Italy
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 03:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Often people make a big (negative) deal about Venice in the summer time. I have only been twice, for 4-5 days each time, and just happened to be in July/August. It did not detract from my experience in the least. I thought it was magical and would love to go back again.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 04:04 AM

I've been to Venice 5 times, four of them in the summer. The first three times I felt like suze does. But then in 2016 I went back again (in July) and it was a huge difference from the first three times. The other times you could just wander off the main tourist route be in solitude. Early morning, evenings - wonderful. But this last time was just horrible crowds. Four or five massive cruise ships and thousands and thousands of tourists from early morning till quite late. Then I went back in March 2017 and quite a difference. Overall I prefer summer - more and longer light, warmer. But Venice is one place where the cruise shippers have done some serious damage. I tell people who have never been (like the OP of this thread) it is still worth going - even in high season - but during high season it's not a place to linger. See it - it's still incredible, but limit your time there and try to go back at another time when the crowds will be (somewhat) less.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Hello Isabel, I used your recommendation for the hotel for my son and his girlfriend's trip in February...thank you - they liked it a lot. I have been to Venice and I am not embarrassed to say, it was so beautiful, I cried . I don't know if I want to head that way in August..due to the crowds but I like a lot of your suggestions and I am currently working on putting an adventure together.

How did you find Milan in terms of feeling "safe" at night walking around?
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gwendolynn
I love Venice, Verona etc. ... but August will be hot. Does hot weather bother you? I'd probably head to the lakes.
But, you can't lose no matter which direction you take.
I know it is going to be very hot. I wish I could travel other times of the year (for multiple reasons) but this is the window so I will bear the heat...not ideal but I try to go slow, enjoy and take lots of coffee breaks
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Would you happen to remember the guide's name or the company?

Last edited by kelsey22; Feb 17th, 2018 at 08:19 AM. Reason: "Last Supper" guide
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 08:40 AM

Why do you feel Milan is a mistake? Are you just not a city person? We go to Milan a few times a year -- it's one of our favorite cities in Europe. We tend to spend most of our time in the Brera area, staying up near the Muscova metro station and using that as our starting base for explorations.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 12:24 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
We did a Milan to Munich route in mid summer 2 years ago - Verona is lovely, then you could go north to the cool of the Val Gardena. Trento en route is wonderful, too.