Kauai honeymoon

Old Feb 11th, 2018, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai honeymoon

I am trying to put together an itinerary for a m-f trip in Kauai. We will arrive from maui Monday afternoon and leave Kauai Friday evening. Any suggestions on these or other activities and best days to do them? Looking for restaurant suggestions too, any meal and cusine just looking for some awesome places to eat. Were staying at Hanalei bay resort 4th of July week.

Island sails kauai (sailing canoe)- 11am-1230pm

Captain sundown(Napali sail)- sailing 815am-245

Captain don- (deep sea fishing)4 hours 1045am

Sleeping giant trail?

Kalalu trail

Waimea canyon

Queens bath

Tunnels beach?

Kayak Wailua river

Food-

Beach house restaurant ?

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 08:33 AM

It's been a few years since I was last in Kauai, and while my Oahu and Maui experiences are much more current, I think I have a few relevant comments.
Waimea Canyon - I suggest getting a really early start on the day, and driving directly to the end of the road, to maximize your chances of seeing the Pacific from up there, over Na Pali. In my experience, you can spend a lot of time up there waiting for the clouds to separate/rain to end, otherwise. But when it does, there is magic in that view! You can make all the other viewpoint, etc. stops on the way back down.
Fishing - I have always regretted doing only a 4 hour deep sea trip off Maui, when the full day would not have cost us that much more (much less than double), for what could be a once in a lifetime memory. We spent a lot of time trolling to "the fishing grounds" off Lanai, and a long time driving back, so really shortened our most productive fishing potential. We did hook into a very nice marlin (200 lbs.+), but my bro. lost it after it peeled out hundreds of yards of line. But that's fishin'! It surfaced/jumped 3 times, while the drag was screaming.... beautiful!
Yes, a full-day trip would cut into your Kauai activities a bit, but not THAT much.
Congratulations, and have a great time, taking in all the Aloha!
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 09:28 AM

Beware Queen's Bath. Even on the summer gently surf a rouge wave could pull you off the shelf to your death.
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 09:38 AM

If you are interested in snorkeling and have your own or rent equipment, also check out Ke'e Beach at the end of the road past Tunnels. For a hamburger try Bubba Burgers
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 10:04 AM

You have wish list of things to do that would take weeks to accomplish. You will need to prioritize.

I spend a month on Kauai every year. Waimea canyon is spectacular, but be aware that you might spend a lot of time driving to the top and never see the view, as it may well be socked in with clouds.

Food: If you are staying in Hanalei, you will want to look for dinner places in Hanalei. I expect you will explore other parts of the island on some days. The beach House Restaurant in Poipu has probably the best views on Kauai - plan a lunch there (make reservations). For a casual lunch, you might try the new Japanese Grandma's Cafe in Hanapepe. I love gardens and have done all of the tours of the Allerton Gardens in the Poipu area.

Enjoy your time on Kauai!
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 01:22 PM

I agree with heading to Koke'e State Park and the Kalalau lookout first, then stop at the Canyon on the way back down. Try and get there by 9am or so, to avoid the large tour buses. The good news is they do not drive north of the main Canyon lookout (roads are too narrow).
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 04:34 PM

A couple of suggestions:

Our favorite restaurant: http://postcardscafe.com/

https://kiputours.com/

https://www.smithskauai.com/

Happy for you, you have chosen our Happy Place for your honeymoon
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 01:42 PM

I honeymooned on Kauai and Maui a few years ago. A real highlight of the trip was a helicopter ride in Kauai. It was spectacular!
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 12:56 PM
Kal

Alohaaaaa....

You might be able to knock out the Wailua Kayak and Sleeping Giant Trail hike in one day if you start one of them early and if you take the shorter trip to his noggin.

We drive behind the "Da Big Guy" on Hwy 581 aka Kamalu Rd. turn right (if you are coming from the Wailua River) on Lokelani and follow it up to the designated parking area. You may want to do the hike first because the parking spaces fill up fast and you don't want to be an ugly haole and park on someone's lawn.

Picnic area with a killer view on his "chest". 360 degree views once you get to his noggin.
But..if there are big rains a day or two before, I wouldn't do either. A lot of dead stuff up country floats down over the falls and into the river. And the hike is very slippery. We did the hike a day or two after a good rain. Made it up OK but coming down we looked like the one scene from Romancing the Stone when they all slid down the trail.
I still have the red dirt stains on my yellow shorts. Red dirt plays for keeps!

After the hike a lot of good places in Wailua/Kapaa to munch. Streets Burgers, Monicos, Kintaros, Brick Oven Pizza, Trees, Lava Lava, Sleeping Giant Grill (formerly Kilauea Fish Market) .....
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 09:09 PM

We revisited the Beach House in Poipu on our last trip in 2017 and we were pleasantly surprised on how nice it has become and the quality of food so much better. Good place for dinner but it is quite a drive if you are in Hanalei area. Great Fish Tacos at The Sleeping giant Cafe which is good after a hike on the trail. Tahiti Nui for drinks in Hanalei, Blue Dolphin is good food. Tiki Iniki in the Princeville Shopping Center is funky and good fish. Wonderful place for a honeymoon.