Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

early research for potnetial honeymoon to Bay Islands, Honduras?

Old Feb 8th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're considering the Bay Islands for our Honeymoon in late may or early june. I don't know ANYTHING about the area. we did go to Caulker and Ambergris in BZ last year and LOVED it - seems like it might have a similar vibe?

hoping i could pick peoples' brains on the area?

first, where should we fly into? and what is the best way to get over to the islands?

Second, any primary reasons we should pick one island over another? or maybe it's easy enough to see all of them? we don't like to stay in cities, or even big towns for that matter, but also want a decent choice of things to do and see so we don't go island crazy.

our big priorities are:
1. good local eats (we're foodies) that specialize is unpretentious, but really well done local dishes. so please recommend your favorite restaurants, and also unique local dishes we should seek out
2. also good drinks: local breweries or distilleries, or quality craft cocktails - please recommend any breweries distilleries or bars you enjoy.
3. picture perfect beaches that aren't crowded
4. great diving and snorkeling, primarily so see wildlife - would love to see some mantas or whale sharks if they'll be there that season. any other unique local widllife? (aquatic or landbased)...and speaking of wildlife, a means to get up close and personal with wildlife would be great, too. any preserves or such that allow you to interact with animals would be pretty awesome.
5. awesome natural wonders like waterfalls

we also don't want to spend a ton on fancy resorts - we'd rather stay in relatively affordable independent boutique B&Bs or hotels that are good, but not pretentious.
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 07:09 AM

Ty,
I see you have not gotten a reply. I have only been to the Bay Islands once- to Utila in April 2017 for a week- so I am not a lot of help. I will tell you; however, that I got a lot of help from a couple of regulars on the TA forum for the Bay Islands. Also, I have planned and had to cancel two trips to Roatan in the last five years (one for health reasons and one due to a death in my family) so while I have researched quite a bit, I have never been there except to fly through on the way to Utila.
I am not sure where you are traveling from but you can fly into Roatan from several US cities on large carriers- we were traveling on American Airlines via Miami.
Also, unlike Amergris or Cay Caulker (did both of those islands in 2016 and especially liked CC), there are cruise ships that come into Roatan so keep that in mind when you ask about places to stay and things to do to avoid the cruisers onslaught.
We are not foodies but love small, quaint and authentic local places- the food on Utila, imo, was mostly very good and very cheap. Similar in price to the Belize cayes.
I am pretty sure you will miss the whale sharks but not positive. I seem to think that around February to March or April is more prime time for that but you can find that out from more experienced travelers.
One last thing- if you like more off the beaten path and more local low key places, I think you might be more interested in West End rather than West Bay in Roatan.
I think you will find the great diving and snorkeling you are looking for.
Best wishes!
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 07:17 AM

PS Although Belize rather than Honduras, I stumbled upon this place recently when looking for a future dive trip for my husband and me, I think it looks like a great honeymoon spot- all adult. I am not an all inclusive person but some little places like this are nice because it is simple.
https://www.cocoplumcay.com/

I
think you would see a different area of Belize there and from there on day trips they arrange.
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 01:34 PM

You can fly into San Pedro Sula and make your way to an island: direct flight (more frequent to Roatán) or a flight or bus and water taxi combination through La Ceiba. You can fly directly into Roatán, too - might be worth the extra cash. Roatán seems like a better fit for you. You could consider a few nights in one of the amazing suites at Omega Lodge on the mainland for kayaking, rafting, horse trips, and waterfall hikes. Home

My photos with blog links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Congratulations and happy planning!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections