Romney Marsh, Yea or Nay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving from Dover to Rye, and I keep reading about Romney Marsh.
What are the highlights, best roads to drive, places to stop? I do want to see the Churches, and take some photos, not sure how much time to allocate?
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

hmmmmmmmm .......... no opinions/recommendations?
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 01:34 PM

Probably because it’s a fairly unpopulated little-known place that feels like the end of the universe.

i went there once when I lived in Kent. It’s about the slightly weird atmosphere rather than actual sights. But it’s small enough for you just to drive around as the mood takes you.

This might help. https://theromneymarsh.net/
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 01:38 PM

Very cool link!

I hope folks didn't stop looking after the word Romney. Maybe ask the moderators to add country name???
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 01:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't see this originally.

The main tourist attraction is the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway -- which a a lovely excursion (you don't have to ride the whole route) and several of the churches. >>best roads to drive<< There aren't a whole lot of roads because . . . well, its a marsh

I'd maybe take a train ride, but mostly stick to the A259. Pop inland a bit to St Mary in the Marsh. The Port Lympne Animal reserve is interesting but probably not sort of place you are looking for.
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by TDudette
Very cool link!

I hope folks didn't stop looking after the word Romney. Maybe ask the moderators to add country name???
Didn't see your post. What on earth does that mean? Anyway the thread is tagged for the UK . . .
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 02:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Though I lived in/near Kent for approx 20 years we never went to Romney Marsh. Rye and Winchelsea yes, Dungeness yes, Canber Sands yes, but Romney no. Not sure why as the kids would probably have enjoyed the railway but there you are.

We liked Tenterden very much, I seem to recall, but we were always coming from the north however, and I've never driven there from Dover when obviously Romney makes sense.

sorry not to be more help but it was a long time ago.
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 03:13 PM

Yah
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

It's a YEA, thanks for the input, here's our route

When leaving Dover going to Rye
Fredville Oak if not done the day before ~ Little Fredville, Frogham, Dover CT15 4JF, UK

Scenic Drive/Romney Marsh Churches
Hythe CT21 5PN
Lympne UK CT21 4NB (turn left on to Lympne Hill Road towards West Hythe. not into Lympne)
Burmarsh, Romney Marsh TN29 0HL
St Mary in the Marsh, Romney Marsh TN29 0BX
Snave, Ashford TN26 2QJ, UK

Lunch at Royal Oak
High Street, Brookland TN29 9QR, England
+44 1797 344444 ~ lunch 12-3

Beckets Barn Farm, Brookland, Romney Marsh TN29 9RZ, UK (pick up the key there for St Thomas Beckett Church in Fairfield)

Rye to our self catering

No kids to worry about entertaining, and certainly sounds unlike any place we have seen!
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

By the way, no RR trip, we will be driving and this way I can take pictures where I want!
St Thomas Beckett Church in Fairfield looks lovely.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 09:36 AM

>>By the way, no RR trip, we will be driving . . . <<

It isn't a train trip as in 'transport'. It is a steam excursion train (LOTS of good photo ops) and you'd pretty much have to drive to do it. RH&DR Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway - About RH&DR
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Surprised to see Romney Marsh mentioned! When I was growing up in England we used to spend holidays in that area. Basically for the beach, but we would ride the train as well. The power station at Dungeness has been built since then.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 09:02 PM

Does anyone still read Russell Thorndike's Dr Syn novels (all about an 18th century vicar on Romney Marsh who's also a smuggler)?
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi janis, I realize that, but I want to go into the churches when possible, and walk around places when I want to, especially in a place I will probably never go back to
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 05:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The interest in the place is the atmosphere and the stark visuals, neither of which will you really get from a car. Churches are not the issue, while the little steam/petrol (depending on the whim of the drivers) railway line is a piece of 1920s wonder planted in a strange place.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 06:06 AM

I know you want to see churches. I was simply suggesting you can do BOTH on your day's drive from Dover to Rye. Very easily.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

But Bilboburgler, I can't get off the train when I want and walk around or stare or enjoy the atmosphere and stark visuals!

I'll ask DH but we hope to have some time to walk around Rye when we get there, so don't think we would do both
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 08:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
https://theromneymarsh.net/stthomas

Wow - what an interesting place! Never knew it existed which is a shame as I too have a penchant for weird churches.

BTW, not wanting to stoke the fire of an argument, but as you are self-catering, I'm assuming that you are going to be in the area for a while so you could easily go back and explore the railway as a day trip. Ditto Rye.
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 12:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wren, do you think you might be a little too addicted to the motorcar ;-) but yes try and do both.
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

bilboburgler, yes I suppose I am............. but I think it's also that I want to do what I want, when I want to do it !

We've been on trains and buses, and struggling to take pictures when on the wrong side with 10 other people in your area is not my idea of "enjoying the moment"

We have done several trains in Switzerland, and several Nat Geo trips inclusive of trains, boats, and buses, so I am maturing

Annhig, we're actually staying in Rye for 4 nights, so much to do in that area! And the website you posted above is the one that convinced me to go

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -