Search

Help with perfect itinerary for Spain

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with perfect itinerary for Spain

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I are travelling to Spain end of March flying in and out of Barcelona. We will have only 1 week, which is sad, but i want to make the most of our time and choose places to see intelligently. Ideally we would like to split our time between 2 or maximum 3 places, but there is SO much to see that I can't seem to decide. one of these places is definitely Barcelona (we will be there for Semana Santa or holy week), but I would want the others to be either Madrid, Seville or Valencia and then a beach destination (doesn't have to be Ibiza, but can be).

We are deeply interested in history, are not big partiers, but like some nightlife and love quaint, small architecturally beautiful towns. Also, would like the beach to see the Mediterranean sea and relax a bit after sightseeing in other towns. Would be super grateful for a nice, well-balanced itinerary. Open to flying internally or driving.

Thank you so much!
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 11:21 AM

With just a week you have little time IMO except for Madrid and Barcelona - do a day trip to Toledo - a real gem from Madrid and to say Sitges from Barcelona for seaside but spend the other days in those towns. Trains are great - check Renfe for schedules - www.seat61.com for how to book your own online tickets at a discount if book realy early perhaps; www.sea61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

Valencia would take about two days to get there, see anything and travel to Barcelona or Madrid.
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 01:31 PM

Barcelona is on the water - it has a beach. PalQ is basically right (although the seat 61 website address is wrong).
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 01:44 PM

The Man in Seat Sixty-One - the train travel guide...

https://www.seat61.com/

Thanks Russ!
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 02:23 PM

We visited Barcelona, Valencia and Madrid in June 2016, however we had two weeks to cover them. Madrid is a wonderful city, with lots to see, but if you are interested in a smaller city then I recommend Valencia. We took the train from Barcelona to Valencia, I think it was about a 3 hour trip from memory. Valencia has a beautiful compact old town/city centre it is very pretty and easy to walk around. You also have access to lovely beaches in Valencia, that are not too far from the city centre. We also spent time at the modern Arts and Sciences buildings, which are about a 45 minute walk from the city centre through garden and park land that was formerly a river bed.
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 04:05 PM

Barcelona and Valencis or Barcelona with 1-2 day trips.( Girona, Sitges, Tarragona...etc)
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 05:44 PM
kja

I agree with danon -- With just one week, you might consider Barcelona and perhaps Girona or Tarragona or maybe, just maybe, Valencia. Personally, I don’t think a week sufficient for Barcelona and either Madrid or Sevilla, let alone adding in a day trip. YMMV. It really depends on what YOU want to see and experience….
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 09:01 AM

Yup just two bases for just a week.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. We have some thinking to do now after all your advice. I will come back with questions, if any and hope you will help us out. Really appreciate your time and responses and SO EXCITED to explore Spain.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

I'm back with another question. I looked into Valencia and it seems to be too metropolitan for my taste. I am looking for somewhere more quaint. Seville seems to be a great option, but I am trying to find some more. Would Malaga or Cadiz be a good option or can anyone suggest a few. I want somewhere like Venice, which has the old world charm, cobblestone streets, architecture etc. Also, would like to go somewhere where it's not that cold in March.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 03:30 AM

I'm not sure why you think Valencia is too metropolitan.

From the other things you mention Seville is likely a better choice but with both cities if you stay in the older part of town I'm happy. Valencia I guess transitions to more modern quicker then Seville.

I'd expect Seville to be warm but you need to define not that cold. Valencia won't be cold in March. Too cold for you no idea.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 03:56 AM

We were in Valencia last year during Las Fallas (15-19 March). Daytime temperatures were mostly excellent (22-25°C), nights are cold in March, also in Sevilla or Málaga.
Valencia is super! The coastal towns north of Barcelona are smaller indeed, but there won't be a lot to see so early in the year 'cause these are mainly aimed to tourists seeking beach life.
Weather history tells that Sevilla isn't any warmer than Valencia in March. It even gives more rain in Sevilla than in Valencia.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 05:31 PM
kja

You can consult historic climate data at wunderground.com or timeanddate.com

Valencia and Sevilla are both cities -- like Traveler_Nick, I'm not sure what your concern is.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 06:31 PM

Sevilla is much more traveled tourist city.
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 09:56 AM

If you already have the feeling that you don't like Valencia, don't go. I spent 6 weeks there years ago, and recently another day. Both times I didn't like the city. Can't really say why, it didn't seem quaint at all, somehow too busy and difficult to find my way around.
now, obviously some people will have experienced exactly the opposite. I just want to point out that you might be right, it's not a city for everyone
on the other hand, I have never met anyone who didn't like Barcelona...
Cadiz is a really lovely place and might fit the description of what your looking for. But it's a completely different part of Spain so I personally would not consider that. Why not look at a travel guide and see if you spot any daytrips you can do from Barcelona, maybe some smaller cities? Don't have a good suggestion though. My only day trip from Barcelona was to Cadaques at the coast, which was a great trip, but a bit complicated and timeconsuming to get there
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 12:13 PM

Into Dali -if so take the short high-speed train ride to Figueras and visit the weird-looking of course Dali Museum and a fairly nice town. Girona is also a really nice old city close to Barcelona.
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 12:37 PM

Check Vueling for inexpensive flights all over Spain.
If there is a good connection after you land in Barcelona, fly there first. End your trip in Barcelona
​​​​​​​Valencia is not a small, quaint place .
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 02:00 PM

If going between Barcelona and Madrid Zaragoza was a surprisingly nice city smack on the high-speed rail line between the two.
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 02:49 PM

Yes, Zaragoza is nice but not particularly quaint t
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 07:42 PM

If you like quaint, go to Andalusia, the south of Spain... Seville, Granada, Córdoba, Ronda...2 years ago we spent a week in Barcelona and liked it. Last summer we spent a week in Andalusia and we LOVE it. We are coming back this summer. We had round trip tickets from east coast USA to Barcelona for some ridiculous price. All we did is add a short flight to Granada to start our adventure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -