UKs top 100 walks

Old Jan 30th, 2018, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UKs top 100 walks

Good to see so many North West walks in ITV’s top 100 UK walks. The top three were all walks in the North (I have done all three). I think both Pendle Hill and Dove Dale deserved a higher ranking, Pendle Hill because of its links with religious history (Quakers) and witchcraft, and Dove Dale because it is a glorious walk. It is a mystery why Hardcastle Craggs didn’t make the list – must be one of the best ever walks, and one that introduced me to walking.We should pass on the list to our younger generation so they can appreciate that you can also use your feet to get to places.https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getoutside/itvs-britains-100-favourite-walks/
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 01:30 AM

Usually I can't abide the middle Lakes (too busy) but we recently had a reunion in Ambleside and the London people wanted to walk locally. We did Loughrigg Fell and down into Rydal. Really enjoyable and very shocked to find Rydal cave. I've driven past it hundreds of times without knowing it was there.

Buttermere with Haystacks and Red Pike is always very enjoyable.

Best fun in Britain, Cym Idwal and Devils Kitchen in winter, fine weather and snow on the ground. It's one of those walks where you can take it or leave it when the conditions become too harsh.

Least favourite walk is Striding Edge in winter, the conditions change so quickly and it's a take it, can't leave it walk. Once you are committed to the ridge you have to go on.

Any suggestions as to which hill you can see the most countries from?

Screel in Galloway, you can see Scotland, The Isle of Man, Ireland and England.

Can you add Wales to the list from any fell?
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 01:35 AM

High Cup Nick near Dufton, Cumbria : stunning.

Cullins, Skye.

Cliff walks near Dover.

Ben More on Mull for the views of the Hebrides.

After you have walked in the Lofoten Islands, Norway anything we have to offer seems a bit tame.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 02:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree about Pendle Hill, it's great walk up to the top which I can see from my house. Helvellyn is well worthy of top billing, but Striding Edge is a bit too much for me these days.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 07:58 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks so much for the link, stevelyon. I received the email from The Ramblers about the ITV program but no link to just this information that I hoped for. Again, thank you.