Going to Blue Mountains

Old Jan 27th, 2018, 04:55 PM
ajc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to Blue Mountains

I'm planning on taking the train to the Blue Mountains from Sydney and spending a day there. I was all set to hike on the National Pass and Wentworth pass but see they are closed due to a landslide. Can someone suggest other great hikes I can do taking the public buses once I get there? Also any other feedback about the Blue Mountains would be appreciated.
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 05:42 PM

There are numerous scenic walks reachable from Katoomba and Leura that range from easy to challenging. Take a look at Wildwalks.com for options.
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 03:09 AM
ajc
Original Poster

Great site that you recommended. I will probably never return to the Blue Mountains so wonder if someone can help narrow it down. Please remember I am without a car.
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 05:01 AM

Like you, I didn't have a car either and travelled to the Blue Mountains by train. In a day you could:

- Take the train to Katoomba
- Walk from the train station to Echo Point
- Do the Echo Point to Scenic World walk: Echo Point to Scenic World via Giant Stairway walking track (This will get you into the canyon itself and a taste of the bush. You will get to see the famous Three Sisters rock formation up close, assuming the weather is cooperative.)
- At Scenic World, you could do the different rides.
- If you are looking for cliff top panoramic views, one option is the Prince Henry Cliff Walk: The Prince Henry Cliff Walk walking track

I did most of this in one of my trips to the Blue Mountains which you could read about here: From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures (entry #115).

Hope this helps narrow it down for you somewhat.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 04:02 AM
ajc
Original Poster

This is perfect. I read about both of those. Your trip notes will be copied and put in my suitcase....I loved the ones for Sydney too...Are there some for Melbourne? ...I'm off to work so perhaps they are further on.
Are taxis expensive in the Blue Mountain area?
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 11:06 AM

Taxis were not expensive - think $10-20 for shortish distances - but need to be arranged; we usually had someone at a shop or attraction that we patronized call for us.

Here is my report from my trip to Australia last year, which includes information on what we did in Melbourne as well as in Sydney: https://www.fodors.com/community/aus...idays-1170461/