Rome - Nice - Paris 2 weeks in April!

Old Jan 25th, 2018, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome - Nice - Paris 2 weeks in April!

Hello Fellow Travelers!
I am traveling with my husband for 2 weeks in April to Rome for a family reunion (5days), then through France (Nice and surrounding, Paris) for work/vacation. We would love some suggestions for:
- unique day tours in Rome and Nice /surrounding areas.
- restaurants for dinner Rome/Nice/Paris- Rome hotel near Spanish Steps, Nice hotel near old town, and Paris in the 1st Arrondissement. Mid priced old traditional preferred, 1-2 fancier for our reunion dinner.
- we are relatively close to the Roma Termini. We need to travel from Rome to Nice - if we take a train where would you suggest we stay a night en route? Hotel suggestion?
- places to catch live Jazz in Nice, Paris ?

We welcome all suggestions - Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if we take a train where would you suggest we stay a night en route? Hotel suggestion?
Milan (although I prefer Turin). There is a direct train from Rome to Milan and one from Milan to Nice. See schedules at bahn.de

Although I am a big fan of trains, I would be tempted to fly this route. There are direct flights on Alitalia - skyscanner.com
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! We're seriously considering the option of a flight rather than taking the train since it's quite a few hours. If there's anything else that comes to mind please share!
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 08:30 AM

Remember 'one hour flights' take 4 hours of train, airport, flight, airport, train, so don;t save as much time as you think.

The train journey is PART of your vacation, of interest in itself and a chill-out opportunity, whereas the flight is hassle and nothing new.

Rome to Milan takes 2h55 at up to 200mph and starts at €29.90 (or from €39.90 in 1st /business class), www.trenitalia.com - the trains on this route are mostly now Frecciarossa 1000s, see https://www.seat61.com/frecciarossa....cciarossa_1000

Milan to Nice takes 4h47 by Thello train from €15 also booked at Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia with some great scenery along the coast. For photos and tips on these Thello day trains see https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-ro...e-to-milan.htm

Those train journey times are city centre to city centre with zero check-in to add!
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Useful information!
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 11:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't flown from Rome to Nice nor done it on the train but I echo what the Man in Seat 61 says - train journeys always seem to be so much more of the journey and given that you are staying close to Termini you are already half way there. As well as the advantages he mentions, there is also the fact that with trains, you usually have a choice of times of departure too - you could leave after lunch and be in Milan in time for a taxi ride to a good hotel and a decent dinner, or you could leave early, have lunch in Milan [or on the train] and be in Nice for supper.

You don't mention what if any activities you are going to be doing with the rest of the family before or after the reunion, but assuming you have time for sightseeing and/or excursions, two nice ones are to Ostia Antica, which will take about half a day, and to the Villa D'Este at Tivoli, which will probably take most of a whole day; you get there by tube and bus. Ostia Antica was the ancient port of Rome and it provides a very interesting insight into Roman life. It's on a much smaller scale than Pompeii and is well signed and laid out so you can get a really good idea of their lives without being exhausted. As for Tivoli the Villa itself isn't terribly interesting but the water gardens are very impressive and our kids loved the tanks which were full of mating toads. Nice places to have lunch in the town too.

Have a great time!
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 02:38 PM

Walks of Italy does wonderful tours of the Vatican museums. If I were taking a day trip from Rome, I would go to Tivoli to see Villa d'Este and Hadrian's villa.

Mot sure what your interpretation of mid-range, mid-priced for restaurants is. We loved La Gensola and Glass in Rome. I always hear great things about Armando del Pantheon but somehow it has never worked out for us to go there. Katie Parla and Elizabeth Minchilli have great apps for Rome dining. Eat Rome is one of them and will give you info on cost, what's good and neighborhood.

In Paris, in the First, take a look at Verjus. Wonderful food and the bar is cozy. It is aprix fixe menu that is very creative, delicious and reasonably priced. You can also check out restaurants in Paris on David Lebovitz' blog/website or Paribymouth.com also does reviews that may be helpful.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the suggestions and sites! I hope to make a few reservations before the trip. I find that after a day of touring we fall into the habit of just going to a decent convenient restaurant or a hotel recommendation because we're too tired to find something better.
Re: Our general itinerary
1) Rome - 1 day general touring of sites since it's our first time together in Rome and 10 years since my last visit. I'd like to tour the Coliseum and a museum, 1 day at the Vatican and my husband and our families hope to book the tour of the Tomb of Saint Peter and the Necropolis under the Vatican Basilica. 1 day shopping (girl needs shoes!) and so that leaves 2.5 days ??!! Or do we leave a bit earlier to enjoy the train ride and stay overnight en-route for Nice ??
2) Nice - Besides work commitments and seeing the city we'd like to venture out on a couple of day trips.
3) Paris - I've booked and canceled 2 trips with my husband. Let's hope the 3rd times' the charm! We'll do 1 day city tour and a museum, 1 day Versailles, and that leaves 2 days to plan interesting and unique experiences. My last trip to Paris with my sis we enjoyed a tour Versailles and seeing Jean Paul Gaultier's retrospective exhibit at the Grand Palais.
Generally - We love immersing ourselves in the history of places, European cultures and cuisines, design and live music (especially jazz).
I'll be researching and planning till April. Please continue to share what comes to mind. I value the advice of Fodorites and have enjoyed many suggestions over the years.
Thank you!!
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 02:10 AM

I second the recommendation to visit Ostia Antica as a day-trip from Rome. It's quick and easy, and it's an excellent site.

We've also done a day-trip to Florence. A little over 1.5 hrs by train...you can be there when the museums open and come home after dinner. Train fares are reasonable, ~40E round trip, if you buy well in advance.

ssander
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 03:28 AM

Have you already secured a reservation for the Scavi tour at the vatican? If you want to do that then you will want to send that request ASAP to see if there is availability.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 05:33 AM

Hi!

New to this format of the forum, please forgive any mistake.

Some suggestions:

--Orvieto is a beautiful day trip from Rome, if you want to go out of Rome. Excellent food in Orvieto, nice views and a magnificent Cathedral.

-- From Nice, two nice places are Villa Ephrussi, in Cap Ferrat, and Saint Paul De Vence. Both can take you less than a day, and are easily reachable in public transport. Of course, you can always visit Monaco from Nice.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 06:17 AM

Villa Kerylos is a good pair with Villa Ephrussi, and a walk round Cap Ferrat will yield good views. For other suggestion see my first visit to Nice (I've been back):

Nice to Paris: on not taking it easy in Eastern France
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for reminding me! We got right on it and secured spots during our stay in Rome Phewww!
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions!
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions and the link to your travel logs! Very interesting read and helpful.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 08:16 AM

If want to do in one day fly -otherwise long slog. Genoa would make a nice stop enroute. For lots on trains check www.seat61.com - discount tickets a specialty here - general info like where to stop by train BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

Ostia Antica great day trip from Rome - ancient Rome's old port - ruins evocative of Pompeii.

Nice - hill towns like St Paul de Vence, Vence, Mougins and seaside Antibes (nice alternative base to larger Nice IMO).
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Since our original post the trip is starting to take shape!

Re: Travel from Rome to Nice - We appear to lose a day in travel & jet lag to get to Rome from North America. Therefore we decided to enjoy Rome on the last day and fly late into Nice rather then all day trains. We are reviewing tours available for Naples/Pompeii, Ostia Antica, and Florence. We have teenagers with us and not sure if we'll endure a full day bus tour to Naples/Pompeii. If anyone has had great experiences with any specific tour company please reply, especially knowledgable guides providing historical background to what we're seeing.

Re: Nice and surrounding - work trip has organized group tours - 1/2 day boat tour and 1 day in Monaco. We will venture on our own to see the Chagall & Matisse museums, and will plan a tour of Cap Ferrat & Villas as everyone has recommended (and thank you!). I'd like to do a 1/2 day in Cannes and if time allows Antibes/Picasso museum but it will depend on work commitments.

If anything else comes to mind please share! Happy Feb to everyone ...
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 10:48 AM

You don't need a tour for Ostia Antica. You can read up on it in advance and read the signage as you travel around it.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 11:42 AM

Be sure to dine in Nice's Latin Quarter by the old port and cathedral by the sea - scores of restaurants of all kinds - try the local specialty Pain Bagnat as a snack - nice beach nearby for teens maybe whilst you do some museums.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 12:22 PM

You don't need a tour for Florence or Naples/Pompeii either, although if you insist on a guide for Pompeii you can pick one up at the site. If you are not sure whether your kids are up for Pompeii, I would recommend Herculaneum instead. Smaller and more compact site with shade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -