Search

Georgia - decent accommodation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2018, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Georgia - decent accommodation?

Hi,
I don't have any plans set in stone yet but am considering a 10 day to 2 week holiday there soon wanting to see Tbilisi (one night), Kutaisi may be a necessity to get northward, Gori, Ushgali and perhaps some towns in the east: sorry very vague, I am still at the research stage! But, what I would like to know is - how is the level of accommodation? I realise that in a lot of the out-of-the- way places one is going to have to stay in hostels - but I do like a decent room and decent beds and a bit of privacy?
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am hesitant to post as I was in Georgia back in 2009, but I am not sure how many other posters have been to Georgia. When I was there there were two Marriots in Tbilisi and a Sheraton under construction in Batumi, and one local chain of smaller hotels. Further off the beaten track however, accommodation was pretty much confined to small B&Bs of varying comfort. And I don't mean American style B&Bs, just rooms in someone's house.

I imagine there are more choices now, and would recommend consulting some guidebooks, and maybe checking some of the tour companies, such as MIR, to see if they list the hotels they use. I know that MIR goes to Georgia, and I expect they are using hotels.

BTW, I didn't get up to the mountains while I was in Georgia, but would love to go back and do so.