Croatia Driver/Guide out of Zagreb

Old Jan 9th, 2018, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia Driver/Guide out of Zagreb

We have limited time in Zagreb and will want to hire a driver/guide to take us out to Jastrebarsko/Karlovac for a day. We think this might be best, as we don't speak Croatian. If we can hire a local driver who knows the area and speaks English, we think that is best.

Need recommendations. We will be staying in Zagreb.

Also, out of Zagreb, we would love to visit Plitvice. However, don't want to spend the entire day there. Maybe just 2-3 hours. We don't want to stop any place else on the way for coffee or lunch. Most tours I can find are all day. Any advice on how to see Plitvice without spending the whole day? Is it feasible to rent a car for one day? (I suspect not speaking Croatian will be ok, since this is such a big tourist spot.)

Thanks! Any/all input appreciated.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 04:26 PM
kja

For Zagreb, the "best" location really depends on what you want to see and experience, but FWIW, I was satisfied with the Best Western Premier Hotel Astoria, which still gets very good reviews. At least when I was there, some rooms were quite small, so make sure you consider that, and if it matters to you, work with the hotel to get a larger room. My understanding is that they are happy to do that.
https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/bo...ode.89502.html

Not speaking English in the Plitvice Lakes should be fine. I normally recommend a walk of at least 6 hours in the park, but if that doesn't work for you, I would urge you to start at Entrance 1 -- the entrance nearest the lowest part of the lakes and Veliki Slap (although the entrance itself is high above the lakes at that point). There are English-speaking park rangers at each gate who will help you plan a route that maximizes your time in the park based on your interests and the then current conditions.

I know of no reason not to rent a car for the day.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 04:51 AM

As Karlovac is on the way to Plitvice, why not hire a car and spend whatever time you want there, afterwards go on to the lakes and overnight there before returning to Zagreb. This way you would avoid a lot of backtracking.