Search

First time Cabo travels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2018, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time Cabo travels

Three weeks away from our first upcoming trip to Cabo. Staying at the Villa Del Palmar (feedback?) we are looking to charter for a full day with an American crew if possible (good baits, quality equipment no pangas) Any tips or suggestions of things to do see etc? Safety is a concern but we are open finding the gems in the area. Thank you
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 09:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed my one trip to Cabo San Lucas. Sorry don't have information about your boat/fish question.

I did not have any issues or negative feelings about 'safety' concerns even traveling solo, female, and staying right downtown in a budget hotel.

Medano Beach is a fun place to spend time in the beach bars and restaurants (all different atmospheres so take a stroll and check them out). Paraiso Mall is beautiful and upscale if shopping (or window shopping) is of interest.

And do go downtown. Most tourists seem not to cross that boulevard and there's all kinds of hidden gem local restaurants in that area. Regular working/living Mexican part of town with department store, fabric shops, etc. There's a small museum, church on the square, low key but places of interest I thought.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 01:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We go to Cabo just about every year. Alternate staying in CSL and San Jose each year. Like both. Friends stay at VdP and enjoy it very much. They never do all inclusive as they enjoy the many restaurants in town.

The main swimming beach, Medano is a short walk up the beach from you, across the dry arroyo. We love Tabasco’s for breakfast and inexpensive eats. There are also massage places that are popular near the arroyo. Further on are the popular party beach bars like the Mango Deck and The Office. For good info on places to eat, her is a link to Trappers list;

http://trapperscabolist.com

Our husbands always go fishing, but prefer pangas out of San Jose. Some well know outfits in CSL are: Pices, Picante, and Redrum. Check them out and book ahead if you can.

Some fun things we have done include snorkeling on the Pez Gato. Snorkeling can also be done from the beach at Chilleno and Santa Maria. We have done sunset cruises with Rissalena(dinner) and Tropicat(jazz, heavy appetizers, drinks) both were wonderful. We did a tour of the smaller villages on the East Cape last year;

http://ranchotours.com/hideaway-villages-tour.html

We have explored up the coast to Todos Santos. This November, we stopped on the way at a little farm to fork place for lunch. Excellent! Called Hierbabuena.

http://hierbabuenarestaurante.com

You could also do a day trip to San Jose. They have an Artwalk on Thursday evenings

Lots of info. We never have felt unsafe. Just do what you would anywhere: stay in the touristed areas and don’t drink too much. Be aware.

The timeshare people are relentless. Anyone offering to help you is probably going to hit you up to go to a timeshare presentation. The airport is terrible with them. DON’T DO IT. No matter how great the offer. If you do go, don’t buy in. Now a days, with the internet, you can go anywhere and get deals. People rent out their timeshares all the time.

The beaches in Cabo are beautiful, but most not swimmable due to undertows. We like the desert meeting the sea. Enjoy!
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 03:35 PM

I own a time share at VDP, and while I like staying there, I DO NOT recommend buying a time share there. Unless you're already committed, don't bother with the mis-named all inclusive at the resort. It's only partially inclusive (certain menu items and certain drinks are not included), and there are many great restaurants in town.

Do you have transportation arranged between the airport and the resort?

As MichelleY said, the timeshare folks are relentless. As you leave customs in the Cabo airport, they'll all be beckoning you to come talk to them. DON'T. They're trying to rope you into a timeshare presentation.

You can swim right on the beach in front of the resort, but the waves are gentler as you head down Medano Beach toward the marina.

"Town" is within walking distance of VDP; it takes about a half hour.

Uno Mas and Monkey Business both have great margaritas; I like the food at Maria Corona's.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 05:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Arrange transportation to/from airport before you leave home. I have used Cape Travel and Cabo San Lucas Tours. Cabo San Lucas Airport Transportation - Save Here!

Totally ignore your “amigos” in the airport. Head straight outside. I always start speaking Italian and they are totally baffled!
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 08:12 AM

We just booked with All Ways Cabo Transportation for the first time. It was $185 round trip for a private van for 10 people. I, too have used Cape Travel and Cabo San Lucas Tours; I've also booked sunset and snorkeling tours with Cabo San Lucas Tours and had good experiences.

That's a great tactic, Michelle.......... my daughter just tells them she's an unemployed college student, and they immediately lose interest!
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 03:15 PM

Take the whale shark tour with Cabo Adventures.
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 09:45 AM

Lilsydney, how was your trip??
Old May 18th, 2018, 09:12 AM

A little late this reply, however fur future travelers reading this, I recommend Pisces as well, and as per the last comment offering you Transportation, I recommend Transcabo instead.

As a suggestion for your fishing trip, consider it is a long trip, clarify if will be 4 or how many hours, the crew tips are not usually included.

About Safety, Los Cabos is a very safe place, unfortunately media said the opposite recently due to lots of bad scenarios last year between drug cartels, but not with the ordinary people or tourists, that was just a fight between them that left a mark on this paradise. Everything seems back to normal now.

Hope you visit Cabo again soon!