MaiTais To Rent Car In Italy: What Could Go Wrong? Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

The statute of limitation has worn off our 2005 rental car fiasco, so the Maitai4 will again return to Italy in 2018.

Now that I am a tad older, my brain seems to be functioning worse. I am a little confused by the following.

I am offered a car rate at a cheaper price that says "INCLUSIVE RATE W/ DEDUCTIBLE
RATES STARTING AT ...

Then the more expensive car rate says "NO DEDUCTIBLE WITH EXTENDED COVER
RATES STARTING AT ... "

The second rate is about $70 more (total of 10 days with car). Is that the CDW everyone talks about? I assume that is what I should get? Is that correct? Do I need to purchase this on certain CC? I thought I read that only VISA CC will help in event of problems. Thanks for any help you can provide. Stay young!

Old Dec 27th, 2017, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You perhaps need to realize what some of those "coverages" actually cover. I know that even when you get a package that includes insurance you may still be able to get so-called "super" CDW (if what you got in the package wasn't, in fact, "super") which as I recall can reduce your out-of-pocket in case of an event to zero.

<B>Then</B> there may still be coverage gaps such as for damages to tires and the windshield and you need to be sure you understand those possible gas prior to leaving the counter IMO.

I am assuming here you have already experienced the documentation of any damages routine and the agreement upon return that you have not, in fact, caused any additional ones.

Of course, in Italy, there are those fabulous parking tickets which can arrive months later even though you <B>absolutely will stake your life</B> on the "fact" that you certainly were not driving in one of those "zones."

I am also assuming you are familiar with automobiles in which the engine stops when you are idling and how to disengage that feature. I did not this last time we drove in the UK and it drove me nuts until I Googled it in the hotel room one night.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget your International Drivers Permit either.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 10:43 AM

Ah yes, the joys of renting cars in Italy! I remember our (good) experience, picking up a car in Agrigento, and then dropping it off in Siracusa. When we drove to the rental office to drop off the car, the office was closed. After wandering around the block, we saw a man down the street waving at us, saying "that's ok, just leave it right there with the keys in it."

Er, no, let's all together now walk carefully around the car, inspecting it closely, and then you sign this receipt saying that there is no damage. Yes? Yes. And everything turned out well. But be sure to get that signed receipt.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 11:03 AM

Dukey. Why did you turn off the start/stop feature? It saves fuel and reduces emissions, and you soon get used to it.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 11:29 AM

We don't need to rent cars anymore, but the last time we did, we were happy with the start/stop engine feature. Even better was the "hill hold" feature.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 11:35 AM

I thought that no credit card covered car rentals in Italy?
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 11:55 AM

<<I thought that no credit card covered car rentals in Italy?>>

Ummm...no. Where did you read that?
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses, although still confused (my usual state) on whether I should purchase the more expensive coverage, although I still don't fully comprehend what I am liable for.

Old Dec 27th, 2017, 12:12 PM

I think that if you consider a car through Autoeurope or Kemwel you will be able to print out the contract that will include the fine print. I do not know if this is available before you pay or after, but since you can cancel the contract with no penalty until 48 hours before you pick up the car, it's worth a try.

As far as I know, the CDW is a mandatory part of any rental agreement in Italy and cannot be waived and carried by the credit card; the remaining issue is the potential deductible (as with any collision insurance).
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 12:17 PM

Yes, purchase the more expensive zero deductible coverage. Here’s our story:

Last May we rented a car in Sicily from Europcar, through Kemwel (Auto Europe sister co.) and bought the full insurance deal. When we picked up the car in Palermo, the woman who gave us the keys said we were really smart to get full coverage.

Little did we know..... Driving was challenging but okay for 12 days. On the 13th day we entered a tight little street and couldn’t get out of it. We scraped and dented the rear end of the car. When we turned it in the next day the guy said it was the 5th damaged car that day (11am) and a usual day was 8-10 wrecked cars. The fee was €50 (admin fee) because of our insurance. It would have been thousands without it.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 12:28 PM

To clarify, without the zero deductible insurance we would have been liable for the deductible, which can be €1000-1500 or more depending on the car type.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 12:29 PM

Theft insurance is also mandatory in Italy.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 12:30 PM

Tom

Make your planning and vacation easier. Just book through Autoeurope. Everything is included. If you find a better rate before your trip, they will match it.

Im jealous. Buon viaggio!
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 12:50 PM

Hm. Since I remember your earlier fiasco, and if it's only $70 more total (right? unless that's an extra $70 a day...), I would go for it.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Yes, this was on AutoEurope. I'm sure we'll screw this up somehow, but if it makes for a better trip report I'm all for it, as long as I don't go to debtors prison.

By the way, I see that you can't rent a car if you're over 70 (is that a rule set in stone?). I'm only five years away. Luckily, I married a younger woman

Old Dec 27th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

oops...one more question. Do I need to put that on a VISA card or does it matter.? Thanks.

Old Dec 27th, 2017, 12:59 PM

<i>By the way, I see that you can't rent a car if you're over 70 (is that a rule set in stone?). I'm only five years away</i>

If true, it must depend on the country, or it's a very recent policy. I rented cars through Autoeurope both in Denmark and Germany this past summer and I am past the cut-off point in question.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 01:00 PM

My dad rented cars in Italy at 80 - maybe things have changed. Before I had a Carte Bleue I put rentals on a Visa card (which covered me for some things - but don't remember as I'm a rural European peasant now). But my Carte Bleue is a VISA, so I suspect that is the preferred card.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 01:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
To clarify, without the zero deductible insurance we would have been liable for the deductible, which can be €1000-1500 or more depending on the car type.>>

you can insure your deductible. in the uk it's called car hire excess insurance cover and it is usually cheaper than paying the extra for a zero deductible policy. Fortunately so far I've never had to claim.

if you are for whatever reason unable to get your car signed off as "undamaged" when you return it, take photos of it from every angle. You should also take photos when you pick it up of any existing damage. This should also be marked on the hire docs.

Lastly - have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -