Merry X'mas Folks....

Old Dec 24th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merry X'mas Folks....

...and a Happy New year.
May every travel wish you have in your heart be granted this Christmas and fill your life with miles & miles of joy that will warm your heart and open your soul to our wonderful blue planet holds in her bosom.

To Fiji , I go.The Mamanucas, Yasawas and Taveuni.Yonder blue.
Wish me luck with the weather.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 09:42 AM

Thanks, inquest. Best wishes to you as well. Please post a report on Fiji !
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 07:19 PM

Happy holidays to you as well, and to you too, Kathie. It will be intriguing to hear about your adventures in Fiji, as I have never been there.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 09:08 PM

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year back to you, Inquest. Sending wishes for good weather!!
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie, Cali and CL. Your wishes are very precious.The weather is the only thing thats bothering me. Its the beginning of the tropical cyclone (Hurricane)season in the South Pacific. I've been following the reports closely.There was a 'small storm' which crossed Fiji islands north to south,last week.Presently,heard its a bit wet.I'm there over the weekend (new year) in the Yasawas (4 hrs by speed boat from Nadi) for 3 days,before moving on to other islands.Praying to the sun god and keeping fingers crossed.
I've got a business class upgrade on Fiji airways from Singapore.Its a 11 hour flight to Nadi. Should be relaxed.First time on Fiji airways.
Keep you folks posted.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 05:37 AM

I will follow and best of luck with the weather. Fiji is a beautiful place. Happy holidays to you!
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 06:04 AM

And to you, too, inquest! Hope you have a great trip to Fiji - and wishing you a very happy New Year! Looking forward to reading the Fiji follow up report!
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 12:17 PM

Seasons greetings inquest. May the weather in Fiji be sunny and kind. Given that Fiji is only a three hour flight from my home airport, it’s been on the travel radar for some time. I just can’t imagine there’s much to do there if one isn’t into luxury all inclusive resorts. Please tell me otherwise....
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 11:37 PM
Original Poster

Sartoric, JW, progol...wishes accepted with gratitude. I too am under the impression its 'beach time' in the Fiji,from what I've been researching.Apart from the Yasawas(where I'm likely to be marooned for 3 days),I done few reservations and plan to move on if a place isn't exciting enough.....driftwood in the south pacific.

I intend to do Taveuni,another island (3rd biggest after Veti Levu and Vanua Levu),its called the 'garden island',is said to have a lot of interesting features. I've been communicating with a couple of locals almost on a daily basis.

Covered in rain forests and lush tropical habitat to waterfalls,
reefs(including the Rainbow Reef),the avian diversity in Taveuni is said to be unique to this island as there are no predators like the mongoose,which were introduced into other islands with disastrous effect.

Also interested in local cuisine,with seafood being the focal point of the Fijian diet,would love to explore the culinary options.In Nadi,looking forward to dining in Kuruvita's Flying fish @ the Sheraton,where I would be staying the last couple of days.Crab Ravioli and Lobster bisque on the menu sounds irresistable.

Bonefish is another restaurant which was recommended.
Lobster curry in coconut milk( an Indian/Srilankan) concoction,a fijian speciality,is another of my must try.Will look out of a place which offers the finest local.

Will be back reporting...
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 07:33 AM

It’s been a while since we were there but in Nadi there is a very nice place called Chefs. We went several times. Also there is a Hindu temple worth seeing. And remember Bula! which is the Fijian version of Aloha!
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 01:00 PM

Inquest, if there's something interesting and off the beaten track anywhere in the world, you will find it!! That's your specialty!! (Smiling and recalling your exceptional and very unique stays and visit to wonderful Uganda.)

Please do remain mindful of the weather forecast My sister barely survived two horrendous September hurricanes in the Caribbean USVI and was out of touch for nearly a week, with no communication or other infrastructure. It is terrifying for those there who are in the eye of the storm (literally) and live through the events and the consequences, and horrendous for those who are scared and frantic at not knowing if their loved ones are safe. So if you do, God forbid, get stuck in some awful storm, report back to us asap!

Btw, have you visited our fair shores ( USA) yet??

Happy New Year!!!!!
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 01:55 PM

Your plans sound fab, Inquest! May the sun gods reward you and you avoid any serious weather challenges! Stay safe and have a great trip!
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Hello & Bula!! I'm back from sun kissed Fiji. Would like to thank you all for your wishes. I'm posting a brief TR here on the asia board. Would love to interact with you all there.I was a little taken aback with this new look Fodors. Hope I get use to it.