Worried about short layovers.

Old Dec 24th, 2017, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worried about short layovers.

My travel buddy was able to get a really fantastic deal on a trip to Prague. The only trouble is that the layovers are super short, so I'm panicked.

Currently, it's looking like I have a 96-minutes in IAD, and then a 75 minute layover in VIE before flying onto Prague.

On the way back, I have a 105-minute layover in Brussels, before flying back to the US.

Now, I know nothing is guaranteed. I know that I could have a 12-hour layover and still find myself missing my connection (I've had that happen, in fact), but nonetheless, I'd really love some insight from some more experienced travelers. So, what do you think? Would you consider these layovers doable?
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

To add, the flight is originating in Albany, New York, and will be on United Airlines and Austrian Airlines.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 09:49 AM

None of those layovers sound terrible to me. As you have already noted, there are no guarantees. But these look do-able to me. Also, since they were booked on one ticket, the airline will put you on the next flight if you miss the one for which you were scheduled. Good luck!
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 01:34 PM

I agree with Kathie and wouldn't worry about it. I have flown into VIE several times including a connection to Salzburg last year. The Vienna airport is easy to navigate and everything is clearly marked. Ditto for Brussels, just don't dawdle in either airport.

When I connected through BRU last month, the only thing that slowed me was that I arrived at my gate (B29), with a boarding pass issued in Rome but had to go back to the United customer service counter (at B1) to get a different pass and undergo US security inspection. So, you may want to stop on your way down the concourse and ask if you're headed in the right direction.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Citylights, can you tell me a little about what the US security inspection was like in Brussels? Did you have to collect baggage and go through customs then go through TSA again/

Thank you all for the information you've given so far! Much appreciated.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 11:27 PM

When you check your bags to Prague, you will not see them again until you arrive there. Likewise, when you check your bags for your return, you will not see them again until you arrive in the US.

The additional inspection is just a few more questions and a random swab of some folks' bags at the gate that takes less than two minutes total. The advantage was that those pulled from the beginning of the line for the swab were then right at the doorway when boarding began.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 01:25 PM

Neither 75 minutes in Vienna nor 105 minutes in Brussels are "super short".
Changing planes in Vienna will take you through passport control and security. The latter is extremely efficient and speedy in Vienna. I doubt you will need more than 30 minutes from gate to gate.

A minor inconvience in Vienna can be the layout of the Terminal.
All the security and passport facilities are at one end.
So if your plane from the US arrived at the furthest away gate, and the connecting flight to Prague departed again from a further away gate you would need to walk a bit.
The terminal itself is a single simple pier structure, with non-Schengen flights on the upper level, and Schengen flights on the lower level. So it takes no rocket science to navigate it. Just follow signs for "transfer" and NOT for "exit Vienna".
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Cowboy1968, thanks for your comment. Noting what you said about the layout in Vienna, I think I'll play it safe and ask one of the flight attendants or gate agents where I need to before setting off.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 12:55 PM
J62

On my last trip to Europe the hardest part was getting from 'toga to ALB airport. Got stuck in the extra bad morning backup at the twin bridges & nearly missed my first flight.

As the others have noted none of those connections sounds super short.

You will (or at least should) get all of your boarding passes, incl VIE to PRG when you check-in, and your bags will be tagged all the way from ALB to PRG - you won't see them in between.