A day with Thai elephants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I was severely critized earlier for posting about Tong's elephant camp called ELEPHANTS' HOME and NATURE in the Kantchiburi province, I now must truly sing it's praises after having spent a day there.

Located in a rural area, set amongst tapioca farms, this large track of land is bordered by 500 meters of riverfront land on the river Quai.

The place is clean, the elephants are exceptionally well cared for (most came from distressed situations) and the goal is simply to love them and bring each of them back to full health.

YOU MUST GO AND VISIT. Visitation is somewhat limited as Tong tries to limit it to one small group at a time. We were 5 persons and that was perfect.

We met the Ellie's first, we fed them, we mounted them, we walked with them, we went into the river with them, we gave them mud baths, we washed them off in the river, we had a water fight with them, we rubbed them with lanolin, they performed some tricks, we took pics with them-- one camera has over 1000 pics taken, and generally just had a complete blast.

Our ages ranged from 12 to 74.

This is not an inexpensive day, but it is the one activity you will never forget from your Thailand trip.

All elephants are well treated. No hooks or switches are used, only verbal commands and/or a slight pull on their rope collar.

We were shown pics of both before and after arrival of the Ellie's to the park. All signs of abuse are now gone.

You can set up an appointment for a visit by telephoning Tong---often e-mails go unanswered. Remember the time difference-- 12 hours from USA EST. You can get her number from her website---www.tourswithtong.com or by googling her.

YOU WILL LOVE IT
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 11:44 PM

<<<We met the Ellie's first, we fed them, we mounted them, we walked with them, we went into the river with them, we gave them mud baths, we washed them off in the river, we had a water fight with them, we rubbed them with lanolin, they performed some tricks, we took pics with them-- one camera has over 1000 pics taken, and generally just had a complete blast.>>>

Out of interest...

- What does the safety brief include?

- If there is an accident or incident, where are nearest emergency medical facilities?
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

LL--- you are trying to make a perfectly wonderful memorable day into something like sky diving.

This is the type of negative comment I was hoping to avoid.

We think positively rather than in the negative when traveling.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 05:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I gave up at "we mounted them". Most of the previous discussion was precisely about NOT doing that.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 05:52 AM

For anyone wondering about the previous discussion go here

https://www.fodors.com/community/asi...s-168996-2.cfm

Oh, just saw "they performed some tricks"!!! Just no.

Avoid this place. For somewhere better that is also closer to Bangkok try this:

https://www.elephantjunglesanctuary.com
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 12:52 AM

The following are the Trip Advisor reviews of Elephants' Home and Nature...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac..._Province.html

All bar one are favourable as you'd expect. There are also lots of photographs at the end of some of the reviews, pretty most definitely, but some are quite unsettling.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 06:17 AM

The favorable reviews tell us nothing. You might remember that the "best" (according to TA) place in Northern Thailand the elephants had visible wounds from the use of a stick with a nail in it to "train" them.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 09:44 AM

You mounted the elephants and saw them do tricks.
I will never visit that place. You supported cruelty treatment of the elephants.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for pointing out all these tired discussions.

These people, save kathie, are some of the people that harp constantly on the "negatives" of SEA.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 08:32 PM

If that is directed at me it is utter rubbish. It is true I don't care for Bangkok, and I regret the excessive crowds at Luang Prabang and Siem Reap, but I challenge you to prove that I am "constantly harping" on negatives about SEA. In any case, the comment is entirely irrelevant.

It would be unnecessary for us to reiterate the "tired discussions" if you were not insistent in ignoring the problems with your precious Tong's camp.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 11:21 PM

@rhkkmk<<<Thanks for pointing out all these tired discussions.>>>

I think you initiated that in your opening posting.

@rhkkmk<<<These people, save kathie, are some of the people that harp constantly on the "negatives" of SEA.>>>>

Posting [usually] recent first hand experience to a thread is adding 'balance' to a discussion. The only reason you call it negative is because you might not agree with comments, which you have every right to. But that doesn't make those that disagree with you 'negative'.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

My last comments on this subject: WHEN DIDI EITHER OF YOU VISIT TONG'S ELEPHANTS' HOME AND NATURE???? Oh, never--- then how are you experts on this limited subject.

To keep it clean, shut up and get off my post. If you have something negative to add, CREATE YOUR OWN POSTING, please.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 05:10 AM

Come off it Bob (and do stop shouting, so childish). You know perfectly well that once you start a thread you do not "own" it, nor do you control the discussion. And if you didn't want a discussion, why did you start the thread?

I already have my own thread on the subject, thank you.

https://www.fodors.com/community/asi...-elephants.cfm

You, yourself, posted that the elephants are ridden and are expected to perform tricks. Therefore I do not need to visit to know that there are problems with this "camp".
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Note to readers. This over 2 year old posting by this fanatic crazy zeolat is about Indian elephants not about thai elephants.

Make your own decision by visiting this venue and observe the devotion and reverence for these animals. Please do not fall pray to a person who knows nothing about the actual situation.

Can all the happy customers be wrong?????
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 07:26 AM

An elephant never forgets and neither does one's ex-spouses!
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 07:36 AM

So learn from them and mate for life.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 07:59 AM

Sorry you received so many negative comments Bob. I have travelled with Bob and Karen and they have the most lovely respect for everything and everyone in SEA. They would never participate in an activity that was hurtful or harmful to an animal but would appreciate the love and caring that was given to these elephants.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 02:12 PM

A Elephant is not a horse! Their backs are round not flat!All bones?
Do your homework! Their backs break, hips as well.
Do they use Bull hooks? You didn’t mention?Do they live In groups?
Do they have a huge space to wonder in to be a Elephant or a slave to
tourists?Are they leased out by owner?
All about money it seems!Happy customers know nothing what goes on behind the scene.
Terrible!
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 02:14 PM

PS I work with rescued Elephants in Thailand.
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 02:31 PM

"about Indian elephants not about thai elephants."

Indian and Thai elephants are the same species.

"They would never participate in an activity that was hurtful or harmful to an animal "

If that were true they would not visit, nor encourage others to visit, a "camp" where the elephants are ridden and required to perform tricks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -