X-mas Eve dinner in Rome

Search

X-mas Eve dinner in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2017, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-mas Eve dinner in Rome

Help us to find a restaurant for X-mas Eve in Rome, Trastevere area would be nice. Not too expensive and fine. We tried to book in one place did not get any confirmation.

Regards From North Norway
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 11:32 AM

Is fish or seafood traditionally eaten ? It is Advent after all.
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 11:56 AM

Yes, Christmas Eve dinner is traditionally based on fish. A popular dish is stoccafisso, which should be familiar to you Norwegians!

A lot of restaurants in Rome offer big fixed-menu dinners called "cenoni" on Christmas Eve, which may not be what you want, if you're looking for something simple.

Here is a list, not complete, of restaurants open on Christmas Eve.

http://www.ristorantidiroma.eu/capod...lianatale.html

As time goes on, more restaurants will probably be added to the list. Only one of these restaurants has an a la carte menu. There are three in Trastevere, but they all have fixed menus, with a fixed price.

Transportation shuts down early on Christmas Eve, and taxis are hard to find, so I suggest you choose a restaurant near where you're staying. Your hotel may be able to suggest one; be sure to tell them you want something simple.
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 12:59 PM

By the way, you'd more likely find stoccafisso at a family dinner than at a restaurant, especially in Rome.
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
>>>I suggest you choose a restaurant near where you're staying. Your hotel may be able to suggest one; be sure to tell them you want something simple.<<<

Is that possible these days? A while back I spent a Christmas Eve in Rome and had a very difficult time finding a restaurant. Long walk and not a great find!
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 01:16 PM

I've never eaten in Rome on Christmas Eve, but I would think hotels get asked a lot about this, and would be the best source of help. There are several lists floating around of restaurants open on all of the end-of-year holidays. If you want to search, the best search phrase is "ristoranti aperti Vigilia Natale Roma". The results I found were all in Italian, but if you click on the menu link, many menus are bilingual. Or you can paste the URL into translate.google.com

Restaurants in the Jewish Ghetto probably would be open, and that's a short walk across the bridge from Trastevere.

Or you could pick up some cheese, wine, and fresh fruit early in the day, and celebrate in your room.
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 01:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed at the Hotel Raphael, and even *their* restaurant was closed for Christmas Eve! Didn't think about the Ghetto. Good idea.
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 03:14 PM

We ate at Saltimbocca in Rome on Christmas Day. Great food, very nice staff...we even went back another night. I had posted something on their facebook page from Christmas recommending them and the next time we went in they thanked me for the post! That's good service in my opinion. Located in Piazza Navona area so not Trastevere but you can take a beautiful night walk around the forum from there... that's what we did and it was the highlight!

We stayed in Trastevere, if you are there for New Years... head to the bridges, it's a great party!
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 03:18 PM

https://www.facebook.com/Saltimbocca-1139452282809001/

here is their facebook link. Also they did not have a fixed menu on Christmas day
Old Dec 16th, 2017, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all your answers!!!

I booked for Christmas Eve (waiting their answer), and maybe Ghetto area for Christmas Day?
Old Dec 16th, 2017, 10:55 AM

Apparently there are more restaurants open on Christmas Day than on Christmas Eve.

Transportation is also greatly reduced on Christmas Day. The metro usually closes down for several hours at lunch time, for example.