Search

Transportation in Brittany

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transportation in Brittany

Hi everyone,
My daughter and I will be taking the train from Nice to Rennes in June as part of our second trip to Europe. We will be staying in St. Malo for 4 days. However we want to see Dinan and Rennes and maybe Quimper as day trips with St. Malo as our base. We are very confused how to get around; some say to take buses to these places, some say train and some say to rent a car. Can anyone advise on the best way to see these places on day trips without too much hassle and, if renting a car, is it very expensive and what are the rules in Europe regarding car rentals? Can one be rented at the train station in Rennes? And if I do rent a car, where can I find driving maps? Would really appreciate help! Thank you.
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 02:30 PM

For trains - check schedules at www.bahn.de/en - German railways pan-European schedule site for all European trains and easiest I've seen to use (or try French Railways www.voyages-sncf.com) -but use the latter for trains to and from Rennes - deep discounts available if booking way early - check www.seat61.com for sage advice on booking those tickets or full-fare ducats yourself online; for general info on trains check www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Yes there are several car rentals around Rennes train station and really having a car would be much nicer as what's in between those places is cool too. Like stopping at Carnac to see the famous megaliths: (highlight of Brittany for me!)

https://www.google.com/search?q=carn...w=1536&bih=759

Driving in that area should present no real problems - do research rules of road, etc. but I've done it by car and bike and no real problem. Car again lets you see small villages you can stop by the local cafe, etc - trains and buses do not easily allow that.
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 02:31 PM

A car is best for seeing those sites.

St Malo & Quimper are quite far apart:
- 3 1/4 hrs by car each way

- Train - depart St Malo 10:25 & arrive Quimper 1:15 (1 train change). Just in time for their lunch closings.
Depart Quimper at 4:00 & arrive St Malo 7:30 - 1 train change.

We've spent 6 weeks vacationing in Brittany, and are returning for 4 more this June/July. IMO, the villages are interesting - but we go there for the beautiful coastline, and countryside (especially northern Brittany) - which you can best get to by car.

Stu Dudley

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 02:35 PM

>>Rennes train station and really having a car would be much nicer as what's in between those places is cool too. Like stopping at Carnac to see the famous megaliths: <<

Carnac is not between Rennes & St Malo or St Malo & Quimper. It is a 2 3/4 hr drive from St Malo - each way.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 03:45 PM

Oops - was long ago and got my Brittany coasts mixed up - thinking St-Malo near southern coast but it's on north coast. So scratch Carnac.
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 03:53 PM

Carnac is closer than Quimper though and I would consider it instead or do an all-day with stops loop?
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 04:02 PM

For road maps: http://www.thesavvytraveller.com/ins...ional_maps.htm
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 04:05 PM

Rent a car. Pick it up in Rennes. Michelin maps are excellent for navigating. Rules for driving in France are easily googled. Before I moved to France and had my own car I always rented from AutoEurope or it sister company Kemwel. Once you've done your research you can decide what's expensive or not.
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 04:36 PM
kja

For information on your public transportation options, you might check rome2rio.com – just be sure to follow the links it provides, as the main site is not sensitive to seasonal variation.

IMO, whether to rent a car, take public transportion, or rely on an occasional tour is a very personal choice, and there are advantages and disadvantages to each of them. I know that a lot of Fodorites think that renting a car is always the best option; I’m happy to rent a car when it suits my needs, but generally prefer public transportation, and (depending on my overall itinerary and interests) I would even consider skipping some locations if they can’t be reached by public options. To each his/her own! If you want more information about pros and cons, I’ll be happy to elaborate. In the meantime, you can get some great information about renting a car in Europe on gemut.com.
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 06:43 PM

The Brittany public transport website is www.breizhgo.com. All info about any public transport journey in Brittany can be found there. Rennes and Dinan are easy enough to get to by public transport but forget about Quimper. Have a look at the next link to see a map of the train network in Brittany, keeping in mind the light blue lines represent the major bus routes:

https://cdn.ter.sncf.com/medias/PDF/...cm55-23123.pdf

And a map of the bus network in the Ille-et-Vilaine département:

http://www.illenoo-services.fr/sites...llenoo2017.pdf

And the bus network in the Côtes d'Armor département:

http://www.tibus.fr/plan/popup.asp

The above are the major bus lines but there are local bus services in towns and villages not shown.

However, I have to agree with the advice about renting a car. Much more convenient and will allow you to see so much more. You will not get to see the countryside or explore the small out of the way villages relying on public transport and IMO the countryside and out of the way places are the best parts of France. For proof you can have a look at a photo report I wrote about exploring the area near Dinan and saint-Malo for five days with a car. You wouldn't even be able to do 1/4 of this in 5 days without a car:

http://tinyurl.com/86s4v8f
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone! I am definitely going to rent a car in Brittany. I was a little nervous about it but not anymore! However while in Nice I think we will rely on public transportation as Nice is probably a nightmare to drive around in and may be easier as KJA points out. Also thank you for all the great websites for maps and car rentals. Am so excited about renting a car for the first time in Europe and skirting the Beautiful Brittany coast and maybe Dinan too. May leave Quimper out this trip though. Thanks again! Will report back after trip.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 12:43 PM

I usually rent my cars through autoeurope.com or kemwel.com. This year I twice had to have them help me get a refund on unwarranted charges and they provided the necessary support. If you choose the "basic" rate it means that your credit card is carrying the potential damage to your car (all rentals agreement include liability), but you have to pay for the damages and then have your credit card reimburse you. It happened to me in Portugal, and it took a couple of months to finalize the refund.

Check your credit card for the coverage it offers and if you choose that route, remember that all transactions for the rental must be done with that credit card.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 12:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
All info about any public transport journey in Brittany can be found there. Rennes and Dinan are easy enough to get to by public transport but forget about Quimper.>>

no, please don't forget about Quimper. One of my favourite Brittany towns. It is quintessentially french - sitting on a river, with a cathedral, a market, nice shops and restaurants, a museum showing the most extravagant ladies' lace caps you'll ever see, and much more.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 01:39 PM

But Quimper is 3 1/4 hrs away. They seem to want to base in one place - St Malo. Seven hours in a car on one day is too long for most people.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 02:21 PM

ledhead

Which train schedule are you taking to get from Nice to Rennes??

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 05:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
But Quimper is 3 1/4 hrs away. They seem to want to base in one place - St Malo. Seven hours in a car on one day is too long for most people.>>

you're right Stu, somehow I missed that they were staying in St Malo or thought that they had changed their plans.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 07:10 AM

It's a long train ride via Paris Nice to Rennes - consider flying Nice to Rennes or place nearby or break up journey in Paris. Otherwise probably 8-10 hours all told.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 11:06 AM

You can take the 7:23 TGV to Lyon, change trains & be in Rennes at 5:17. 1 1/2 hrs allotted to change trains in Lyon. Note that it means you'll need to get to the Nice Ville station around 6:45am, and your transit time to Rennes is 10 hours. Don't attempt to train to Paris and do the required station change there in anything less than 1 1/2 hrs unless you speak French pretty fluently and are familiar with the Gare de Lyon in Paris and especially the Montparnasse station (I think it may be multiple stations in the complex).

Personally, I would do what PalenQ recommended and take the 10:00am from Nice that arrives in Paris at 3:41, or the 11:57 that arrives at 5:41. Then check into a hotel next to the Gare de Lyon. We stayed at the Nov0tel this year instead of our "usual" Terminus Hotel, and enjoyed the Novotel much more than the Terminus (5 previous stays at the Termins). Then visit the Viaduct des Arts, and have dinner at the "eye popping" Train Bleu http://www.le-train-bleu.com/uk/index.php . Early next morning (or anytime you like) take a taxi to the Montparnasse station & 1 hr 20 mins later you'll be in Rennes. Lots of daily departures from Paris to Rennes. Stow your bags in the car in Rennes (guarded in the rental car park) or at the rental office & explore Rennes that first day in Brittany.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 11:15 AM

Lyon could be a nice place to spend a half day and night.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 12:56 PM

There is also an overnight train Nice-Paris but it only has couchettes no private compartments so many would not like that but is an option on that long haul - again I'm all for trains but flying here makes sense if you cannot break your journey. Probably as cheap or cheaper than trains.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -