Italy input requested

Search

Italy input requested

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy input requested

Finishing up month-long trip in Europe with 3 teenagers and spouse. Airport departure from Bologna. We are going to Venice for three nights, then Dolomites for four, and I need to decide where to spend last three nights. Likely, we will have a car, but negotiable. My options include staying in Modena 3 nights ( day trip to Florence or Ravenna), Fiesole or Florence 2 nights/bologna airport 1 night, or 3 nights Bologna ( city or country). Ferrara could also be possibility. I’d appreciate input from those who have driven to the airport and could advise about how that goes. We like history, art, and food. Thanks for your help
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 12:57 PM

If staying in Bologna or Florence last few days cars are useless - can't even be driven into city centres even to hotels though you can dump off bags but have to drive out of city centre to park. Anyway for lots on Italian trains check www.trenitalia.com - you may be too late to get discounted tickets but can on those relatively short hops just take regional trains where you just buy tickets day of train and take any regional train that day -dirt cheap - do not have to decide which train to take unlike discounted tickets on long-distance trains. Check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com for lots on Italian trains and where to go.

My choice would be Florence - good for teens from a historical standpoint they may later study in school - like birthplace of Renaissance and world-class museums and lovely city not super crowded at this time.

I would not stay at remote Fiesole - well just a few miles from Florence but little there besides Roman ruins and neat views but if driving could be nice place to stay with buses to Florence proper.

Bologna may be more convenient and a really neat old town - and day trip to Florence by train.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 02:26 PM

Stay in Bologna, fantastic city with great food. You have 3 nights and assume 2 days as you leave the 3rd day. Suggested visits:

Bologna 1 Day
Ravenna 1 Day

Alternatives: Modena, Parma or Florence was Pal suggests.

Stayed in Bologna twice and enjoyed very much.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 03:26 PM

Bologna - IMO one of the most underrated overlooked cities in Europe - most folks just pass thru when taking trains Venice-Florence - and it has relatively little tourists vs Florence, etc. I loved walking around the old arcaded university district. Depending on how old teens are they may enjoy student night life.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 04:04 PM

If you are at the end of a long trip I think staying in Bologna would be perfect. It is a lovely, charming city, which we really enjoyed.

One highlight was taking this tour: http://www.italiandays.it. It was not cheap but it was a lot of fun.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 02:35 AM

Are you in Europe now and finishing your trip or are you finishing up with planning a trip that you will be taking in warmer months?

If you are traveling now, I think it would be best if you got rid of the car in Bolzano or Trento and took the train to the Bologna area. You need to be in a good position to catch your fligth without worrying about snow or fog slowing down your travel to Bologna airport.

If your teens are great fans of fast cars, then even if you stay in Bologna you might want to head over to Modena for a Ferrari car factory tour. For motorcycle enthusiasis, the Ducati factory is just outside of Bologna. As Europe's oldest university town, Bologna has some inspiring and fascinating sights for people who'll rather soon be heading to college themselves. It's a city of students and learning. Check out the Bologna Welcome website.

It is possible to take food tours and, for spectacular art and history, a day trip to Ravenna is extraordinary.

If you are going in nice weather months, Ferrara is great if your family likes bicycling (and you can daytrip to Ravenna from there. In summer you might want to keep the car unless you decide to stay in Bologna. From Bologna, another fun daytrip for teens - or even a base -- would be Rimini or Ravenna. But if you have an early morning flight out of Bologna airport, then you need to be closer to the airport than Rimini (or Ravenna). It's not hard to drive to the Bologna airport from Modena or Ferrara or an agriturismo in the area -- but none of these are good ideas in winter. Stick to Bologna itself, without a car.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 02:41 AM

Wanted to add that if you prefer smaller Modena in winter, it's possible to visit Parma easily (also Ravenna is doable). There are not a lot of sights in Modena but it's a charming town and easy to get a taxi (and I tihnk a bus) to the airport). Staying in Modena you run the risk of boredom if sights are closed on Sundays, holidays or if bad weather makes you relectant to travel further afield. In Bologna you can always find sometihng to do -- music museum, art museum, shopping, live music at night, etc because it is a tr
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 02:43 AM

sorry, sometihng was lost-- because it is a true city
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 08:45 AM

If doing day trips from a base then it doesn't matter much whether Modena rocks or not. And how old are the teens? Would they enjoy livelier places like Bologna?