Search

Germany

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany

In June 2018, I will be in Germany for 5 days. I plan on visiting Nuremberg and Wolfram-Eschenbach since my ancestors came from there I would like to do genealogy research while I'm in Germany.
Is churches (Catholic) open every day ?. Is there any days when civil register offices aren't open? Is bus or train the best way to get from Nuremberg to Wolfram-Eschenbach?
Looking for any suggestions on best way to research and just explore the cities. I plan on staying in Nuremberg.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 12:16 PM

1. There is no choice between bus and train for the connection from Nuremberg to W.-Eschenbach. You would have go by train to Ansbach or Windsbach first, and then to proceed by bus. Look up at the DB website connections from Nuremberg to "R.-Wagner-Str., Wolframs-Eschenbach" (the Richard-Wagner-Strasse is the center of Wolframs- Eschenbach near the Münster).

2. There are no official opening hours for catholic churches, not even inside a single dioecese. Just inquire at the parish: wolframs-eschenbach@bistum- eichstaett.de. Maybe they will reply in German (I'd would even encourage them to do so to speed up a response) but google translator will to the job. The webseite of the Parish is http://wolframs-eschenbach.bistum-ei...de/startseite/

3. Hope you are aware that civil register offices are of no use when searching for ancestors befor 1806. In that case you have to turn to the dioecesan archive, in your case to the one in Eichstätt (https://www.bistum- eichstaett.de/dioezesanarchiv/liste-der-kirchenbuecher/), which keeps the batism / wedding / burial registers. For details write to [email protected] (try to contact either Dr Bruno Lengenfelder or, preferrably, Mrs Maria Ludden). Eichstätt is (a nice baroque town) 50km south of Wolframs-Eschenbach and accessible from Nurenberg hourly either by direct train or with on transfer at Treuchtlingen (please note: in any case you have to transfer at the station "Eichstätt Bahnhof" to the little shuttle train to "Eichstätt Stadt"; the Dioecesan Archive is 300m from that station).
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 12:31 PM

Great info as usual from sla019 - search www.bahn.de/en for schedules - takes about 1.5 hours with bus change from train. And as these are S-bahn (local) or regional trains no need to pre-book like on long-distance trains to get a cheaper fare I think as these are kind of like metros - commuter trains with a cheap base fare. For lots on German trains if taking other ones check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

In Nuremberg don't miss if interested in 3rd Reich relics the old Nazi Parade Grounds just a short S-Bahn train ride south of town - now have some poignant museums and things like stadia like one with same balcony Hitler used to famously review goose-stepping troops prancing by.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. It is very helpful.