Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Your favorite London streets for strolling?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2017, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in London for 3 weeks starting January 5th, 2018. It has been an embarrassingly long time since my last visit. I've bought a guide book and have been reading trip reports. Obviously I'll be doing all the typical sightseeing and lots of museums. But, I also love to just wander streets, discover neighborhoods, window shop, sit in a outdoor cafe and watch the world go by (I do a lot of that in Paris even in the winter). I'd love to hear about some of your favorite streets for strolling. My interests are architecture, history, window shopping (and sometimes buying) housewares, antiques, art, specialty food shops (I've rented an apartment in Kensington).

Anyone care to weigh in on some of your favorites? Thank you in advance!
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 07:55 AM

South Bank Walk along the south bank of thames - not a street but has everything you want- very popular strolling street for Londoners.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 07:59 AM

Off the top of my head:

Marylebone High Street
Kings Road in Chelsea
Greenwich village
Blackheath Village (take the train from London Bridge)
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 09:31 AM

We liked the area below Hampstead Heath.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 09:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Ditto jamikins and underhill's suggestions. Hampstead, Greenwich, Chelsea and around Sloane Square, Marylebone . . . plus around Lincoln's Inn Field/Sir John Soane's Museum.

But there really are wonderful neighborhoods for wandering all over
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 11:22 AM

As above plus Soho - Dean, Greek, Frith, Wardour Berwick streets plus Soho Square .
Spitalfields area around Brick Lane, Commercial road
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 12:57 PM

Camden High Street - especially on Camden Lock Market days. But like janis says there are so so many everywhere - even Oxford Street, one of Europe's busiest shopping streets can be fun - 60s throw back Carnaby Street still hops.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I've happily spent the last couple hours googling, reading, using google maps and finally highlighting the areas on my paper map.

PalenQ - Would you give me more of an idea of where the "South Bank Walk" is located? Google didn't help. Glad to hear Carnaby Street "still hops". I haven't been there since 1971. It was hoping then! Camden Lock Market is now on my list of "to do's".

jamikins - thanks for your suggestions especially Greenwich Village and Blackheath. I had planned on going to Greenwich one day. Good to know there's good wandering in the area.

Underhill - thanks. I almost rented an apartment in Hampstead Heath but didn't know the area was good. I'll check it out for sure.

janisj - thanks! You always have such good suggestions. Sir John Soan's Museum was on my maybe list. Good to know it's a good area for wandering too.

northie - thanks for the specific street recommendations. That certainly will help me plan.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 05:10 PM

Re Lincoln's Inn/the Museum. Just to clarify, it is good for strolling to see interesting bldgs and visit the museum -- not for window shopping.

>>Spitalfields area around Brick Lane, Commercial road<<

Big ditto.

Not PQ but >>PalenQ - Would you give me more of an idea of where the "South Bank Walk" is located? <<

He just means the Southbank. Basically anywhere between Westminster Bridge and Tower Bridge. There have been a lot of changes/development along the Southbank since Pal last saw it. Not much window shopping except a bit in Hays Galleria, and museum/gallery shops, but great views, lots of pubs and restaurants, the Tate, Globe, Oxo Tower, Southwark Cathedral etc etc etc.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 06:02 PM

Dee_Dee:

Can you share more about the apartment you have rented in Kensington? Location? Rental agency?

I hope to do the same in Dec 2018.

Cheers --
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

janisj - thank you for the clarification on the different areas. As I know virtually nothing about London neighborhoods, your help is greatly appreciated.

BarbWire - Hope you're able to do your December 2018 trip! I generally rent from VRBO as I prefer a unit strictly for rental rather than a owner occupied unit like many on Airbnb (although I've rented through them as well). As I haven't yet stayed in the apartment, I can't give you a personal review (the on-line reviews are excellent though). I am questioning my choice of location now. It seems a bit far out but it's on good bus lines and was reasonably priced (for London). https://www.vrbo.com/409377ha
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 04:44 AM

Adding a few more:
- Elizabeth Street
- Jermyn Street
- Wilton Crescent
- Pimlico Road towards the Sloan Street part

London is such a walkable city...so many great streets to name. Looking forward to my next trip in a couple of weeks. The area around your flat has some beautiful houses to look at too.
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 06:37 AM

and then there's Chinatown near Piccadilly- just one long block or so by like being in China.
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 07:15 AM

Dee_Dee: Unless things have changed a lot (which I don't think they have) this part of the listing is incorrect: >>Tubes - all week tube service from across the road at Kensington Olympia! <<

AFAIK the District line only runs to Kens Olympia on weekends - and it is a very limited service even then. It is quite a hike to either Earls Court and to High Street Kens stations. There IS good bus service. I have stayed twice at the Kens Olympia Hilton so I know the exact location pretty well.
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 07:43 AM

Given your location and interests, suggest making Chelsea a priorty. But if you want to go further afield, then I would maybe put Islington ahead of Hampstead area, given your stated interests, especially on a day when it's not possible to enjoy the heath.

Ignore the guff in some of these blogs and sites,, but am passing them along for pointers

https://www.essentialliving.co.uk/bl...ems-islington/

http://www.coolplaces.co.uk/guides/u...n/45-islington

https://www.londoncalling.com/featur...ngel-islington

http://www.theresident.co.uk/food-dr...ems-islington/
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 07:43 AM

priority
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 07:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I second the above rec for Jermyn Street for window shopping.

Also Mount Street in Mayfair. Haven't been there for a while, but it had some fine antique shops some time back.
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 11:01 AM

Mount Street - forgot that one too Fra_Diavolo! LOVE it and love The Connaught Bar for a drink too...so many great places to wander around...
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 11:07 AM

>>love The Connaught Bar for a drink too…<<

!!!
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 11:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
>>>love The Connaught Bar for a drink too<<<

Can't go wrong at The Connaught!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -