Apartment Rental in Berlin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2017, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a week in Berlin this summer (end of June, start of July), and it will be our first visit to the city. We would like to rent an apartment, but we are unsure about which neighborhood in which to concentrate our search. Any folks with experience with short-term rentals in Berlin and particularly with pros and cons of certain neighborhoods, we'd love to hear from you. Thanks!
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 09:52 AM

If you want the heart of the former West Berlin - fashionable and all that, look in Charlottenburg and especially around Savigny Platz. A pricier choice and farther from most of the major historical sights, which tend to cluster in the East..

A trendy part of former east Berlin, full of young professionals and hipsters - look around Prenzlauerberg. Whereever the established trendy part of your city is that you would direct people to = Prenzlauerberg.

Tastes a little more along the lines of edgy hipster-ism? Look in Friedrichshain. This would be the part of your town that was up and coming and not quite as refined as the one above.

Mitte is the "core" of Berlin (it means "middle") and there are apartments to be had but the selection is probably broader in the other areas noted.

Find a place as near to a U-Bahn (subway) stop as you can and as near to Mitte (Museum Island would be ideal) and you should be a happy camper.

And I realize that there are deeper and more complex descriptions of these areas, and those who will take issue with my opinions of them. Chill, it's a broad brush. Make your own suggestions - its all good.

Heading to Berlin for my 5th visit next month so I'm not reciting from a guidebook.
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Aramis: Many thanks...just the kind of overview I was looking for. We will probably start looking in Prenzlauerberg given its proximity to Mitte.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 07:16 AM

We rented an apartment in Prenzlauerberg last year and thought it was both a fine area in which to stay and as a base for exploring the city.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 08:00 AM

Could you share your apartment information? Wondering where you ended up renting. Looking for the same. Thanks!