Changing Airlines at EWR

Search

Changing Airlines at EWR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2017, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Airlines at EWR

I have VERY firm plans to take a Business Class flight to Europe on United out of EWR in a few months for a vacation. But I live closest to DFW and United to EWR is about 2X the cost of flying American.(United has limited destinations out of DFW.) I can't remember the last time that I had to actually change airlines to reach my destination - certainly have never done it on an international flight.

Short of claiming my bags from American in EWR and then re-checking them with United, is this something that can even be done?

Thanks!
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 06:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
One possible solution - might work (maybe not). Fly to BWI and then take Amtrak to EWR. Both airports have an Amtrak platform with transport into the terminal.
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 07:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Short of claiming my bags from American in EWR and then re-checking them with United, is this something that can even be done?<<

Nope

You want to book separate tix so your bags will not be checked through. When is this trip? 'In a few months' could mean still during the winter and weather delays could be disastrous. You could fly in the night before

(Tom thinks <i>every</i> trip requires some rail travel)
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 05:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Is EWR the ONLY airport to make The connection to a business class flight to your European destination? Find out.
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 05:11 AM

The OP says he has very firm plans (i.e., a ticket). So just allow yourself 3 hours between flights and take American (4 if you are concerned about having to rush). It's not the end of the world, and you can check in for your United flight before you leave. All you need to do is collect your bags and then recheck them at the United terminal; you'll have expedited service since you are flying business class, so I can't see this as a huge impediment.

If you are concerned about delays and weather, you can schedule a hotel at EWR the day before, but that will likely erase any savings on the cost of flights. United is a dominant carrier at EWR.

Also keep in mind that Southwest has a nonstop from DAL to EWR if that would work for you.
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 08:00 PM

As a seasoned veteran of EWR I'll agree with Doug. Flying in the front of the UA plane does get you some extra consideration including a dedicated check in counter. You will need to collect your bags from the carrier that delivers you to EWR and get to the UA check in (likely in terminal C)but it's not that big a deal. I would build in at least 3 hours to allow for any delays. You'll ave club access as a front of the plane pax. If you are really concerned, fly in the day before, book a room at an airport hotel (Marriott is closest, others very nearby) and maybe uber or train into Manhattan for an evening.