Italy Ideas Dec 28 to Jan 6

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2017, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, my son and his girl friend are heading to Italy arriving Dec 28 until Jan 6 (Flying in and out of Rome - do not want to rent a car) While I have been a couple of times it has always been in spring or summer. Would love some winter input about places to go. They are thinking of Venice for New Years, Florence - but I think Naples and southern Italy may be a bit nicer weather = thanks in advance for all the ideas (my son has been before his girl friend has never been)
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 06:29 AM

We have spent the week of NYE in Italy many times and highly recommend it. We have been very lucky with the weather each time (fingers crossed as we are going back to Tuscany for visit number 3 this NYE with friends).

We like to spend the week in one place and really get to know it. It is a lovely time to be in Italy, the towns are decorated and selling holiday treats etc. NYE we have a long late dinner then join the locals for their bonfires or fireworks.

You can see our pics here:

Rome 2011/2012: https://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

Tuscany 2013/2014 (first half of pics) and 2015/2016 (second half of pics):
https://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

Venice 2016/2017:
https://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

Happy planning!
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 06:42 AM

Jamikins,
I always get hungry when looking at your photos!

Thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 06:53 AM

Calabria62 - me too! This whole work thing is overrated - I should be in Italy eating!
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 07:06 AM

How cold was it in January? We are coming January 12to Rome did you need a heavy jacket and thermal underwear?
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 07:34 AM

We wore winter jackets and scarves, but could sit out in the sun for lunch with our jackets on as long as it was sunny. Many cafes have heaters out to sit under as well.

I have never used thermal underwear except skiing in Canada growing up.

It was a wet, damp cold when we were there.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 07:42 AM

Thanks
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 08:17 AM

I went to Rome and Florence in December a few years ago and I think that is the BEST time to go. I have been in warmer weather too and the crowds are unpleasant but in December it is much less touristy (although I can't speak to Christmas/New Years time). So my advice would be to stay in Rome and Florence. Can take day trips from there (Ostia Antica from Rome was great. Florence can visit Siena or Bologna easily) They can see a lot of the museums, Vatican, etc but without the crowds. I don't know that Southern Italy would be warm enough to experience what it is known for.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 12:54 PM

Personally I would go to Naples and visit Pompei, Vesuvious and also Capri and the Amalfi if the weather cooperates. Another option is to visit Salerno from Naples (and Paestrum with a bit more energy). You can even visit Rome as a daytrip. Naples has a spectacular fireworks display.

I've gotten snow & and awful rain in Florence between Christmas and New Year's but I have also enjoyed mild sunny days there. Rome weather was nice during that time of year for me.

I was in Venice in late December and it was gray and chilly, with lots of drizzle. You could get nice weather. You might not care. But I enjoy everything about Naples more -- food, wine, the town buzz and beauty -- and it's nicer to go sightseeing in that area when it is not hot.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 12:56 PM

Sorry for all my typos

Vesuvius, Paestum (among others)
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 01:03 PM

9 days or 7 full days?

Seems like 7 - if so two places max. I'd do - for kids' sakes - Florence and Rome. Head to Florence from airport - about 3 hours by train- with a change in Rome Termini.

Rome of course is a must. Venice is 3.5 hrs each way - OK if you could have flown into or out of Venice but takes most of a day relocating and too far for day trip from Rome.

Or of course Rome and Naples area - anyway book trains ASAP at www.trenitalia.com or www.italotreno.com - 2 competing train companies running trains over same tracks - check each for cheapest prices - discounted tickets are limited so booking early can save tons (but non-changeable non-refundable from a specific train at a specific time and date). For lots on Italian trains and booking your own tickets online (you can always book on site but at much higher price often) www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

I have been in Florence several Januaries and never was it too cold (but it could be - unlikely however.)
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 01:23 PM

Actually it is more likely Florence will be cold and perhaps even with snow rather than likely it will be be warm. It can be nice, but you can't count on it, whereas if Rome gets snow it usually disappears within the hour, and Naples it's a freak if it ever gets snow at all in winter.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 01:27 PM

One more thing to add:

If budget is a consideration, Naples is certainly the cheapest. For one of my winter trips to Rome, I delayed going until after January 6 simply because prices for lodgings dropped so dramatically. Naples is always cheap (food too), and Venice tends to be always expensive (and food not great if you can't spend). However, you can almost always make any budget work for a trip to Italy and still be sleeping in safe warm places with a private bathroom, so no point in going to places just to save money.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 02:31 PM

Actually it is more likely Florence will be cold and perhaps even with snow rather than likely it will be be warm.>

Totally false according to weather records:

http://www.holiday-weather.com/flore...rages/january/

Naw you exaggerate the cold and snow of Florence - the January averages are hi 53F and low 37 with average temp of 45 is not that cold to me and rarely would snow stay on ground here either. But it depends what you call cold.

And Rome's temperatures for January are avg hi 55 - low 37 - avg 46 - Almost EXACTLY the same as Florence!

Maybe check facts first before giving seemingly misinformation?

http://www.holiday-weather.com/rome/averages/january/
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 08:34 PM

I don't consider 55 and 45 the same at all when it comes to comfort being outdoors. Don't you live in Michigan or someplace very cold? Even when I lived in NYC before moving to Italy, I definitely felt the difference between 55 and 45.

"Average" temperatures are really not useful in planning a trip. Florence really does frequently get days of miserable chill rain & snow in winter, whereas for Rome and Napoli it's not a issue.

Since weather is one of the few issues the OP raised, that's info they deserve to have.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 05:53 AM

Since weather is one of the few issues the OP raised, that's info they deserve to have.>

Did you not read the links I gave that have about the EXACT same temps for Florence and Rome at that time? Have you been to Florence in winter - are the temperature charts I link wrong and you right?

Since weather is one of the few issues the OP raised, that's info they deserve to have> Yes and that's why I gave the links to show that you are apparently giving misinformation - where's your data except in your head?

Now Naples is probably warmer but Rome and Florence same temps and about same precipitation.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 07:24 AM

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...e_Tuscany.html

TripAdvisor Florence experts agree - very little snow and rarely acdcumulates!