Utah-Arizona National Parks in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2017, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, we're planning a trip in March to Utah-Arizona. We will be traveling for 9 days, giving us 7 full days for the national parks/monuments.
1) Are all the parks and roads open and functioning in March? Any specific advice?
2) I don't mind the driving nor the pushing to accomplish..is it realistic to cover all the national parks in seven full days? If not, what to prioritize and what to cut? Please be so kind and share your opinions and possible itinerary ideas. We greatly appreciate it!!!
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 07:51 PM

"Is it realistic to cover all the national parks in seven full days?"

If you mean all national parks in Utah and Arizona in 7 days, no, that is unrealistic. What city are you flying into? What are your priorities? March is early for north rim GC but south rim will be fine. Zion will be ok but you could run into snow at Bryce. Arches will be fine. Be prepared for snow on the roads in some areas of Northern AZ and UT in March. You could see So. Rim GC, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, canyonlands and Arches within your timeframe but it would be dependent on good weather and roads and would be very rushed with not a lot of time to fully enjoy your destinations. Even if you cover all of the above NPs, you will not be able to squeeze in Petrified Forest and certainly not Saguaro NP. All of these NPs are worthy of more than a quick drive by.
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 08:44 PM

You'll have to choose which three parks you most want to see. Bad weather could have adverse effects on your trip.

Lee Ann
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 07:25 AM

There are 16 national parks/monuments in Arizona and 11 in Utah. That's not counting national historical sites, trail, memorials, etc.

You'll have to narrow it down quite a bit. As mentioned above, which city are you flying into? That will start us in the right direction. What are your interests? Hiking, photography, history, wildlife, etc....there's quite a bit of variety so it's hard to give suggestions without more information.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thinking of flying into GJT Colorado, as I see it's closer than Salt Lake City, and planning to fly out from Phoenix. Interests are living and inhaling the magic and beauty. Short and easy hikes are fine. Stunning Photography opportunity is in plan too. A twist of some safe Wildlife sightings is a great plus!
Thank you all for your help!
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 10:31 AM

Grand Junction is the closest to the Moab parks. I would suggest you check the map and after you are in Utah, take UT 128 along the Colorado river to get to Moab.

Both Arches and Canyonlands are spectacular. Visit at different times of day to each of them for stunning photo ops that change as the day goes on. Most folks like sunset at Delicate Arch in Arches, but be sure to bring good flashlights if you do go for sunset. I have a picture of the route on www.flickr.com/photos/emalloy2009
Scroll down the page.
I found it not exactly easy, but I'm in my 70s and live near sea level.

The view through Mesa Arch in Canyonlands Island in the Sky district near sunrise is fantastic.

Be prepared for sticker shock for the car rental if you don't return it to the place you got it.

Drink a lot of water.
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. I have put together the Itinerary, based on help from wonderful people like you. The timing and weather is still a bit of concern to me, but let's hope for the best.
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 08:58 AM

Would you post your itinerary for beneficial comment?

Vaga
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Once on word doc..will try to c/p. Thanks
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 09:50 AM

"Thinking of flying into GJT Colorado, as I see it's closer than Salt Lake City"

It's closer to Moab...so if you want to see Arches and Canyonlands that's fine. But you could put together a perfectly good itinerary starting and ending in Phoenix. Or Las Vegas. Or Tucson.

The classic circle tour from Vegas hits Zion for 2-3 days, Bryce for a day, then Page for Antelope Canyon before heading to the Grand Canyon South Rim for 1-2 days. Adding in Capitol Reef or Sedona would complete the week.

From Phoenix or Tucson, you can hit Organ Pipe Cactus, Saguaro, Chiricahua, Sedona and the Grand Canyon in a week.

If Moab is a must and you have the money to do a one-way car rental then stay in Moab for 2-3 days, either drive to Capitol Reef/Bryce for 1-2 days or go through Monument Valley on the way to the Grand Canyon South rim. From there, hit Sedona on your way to Phoenix. That will also take about a week.

You'll probably see some bigger wildlife but it's not as common as parks like Yellowstone. You may see some deer or bighorn sheep in Moab or Zion, possibly pronghorn in Bryce or elk in Grand Canyon.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 03:27 AM

We flew into Grand Junction and out of Las Vegas. Enterprise car rental was the best deal, and was a reasonable price for our needs. Our trip was short, but we hit the Mighty 5 in 6 days. Of course, we would have like to stay longer, but that's all the time we had.
We plan on going back, and Grand Junction will be our starting point once again.
We will either go south towards Monument Valley or head north towards Yellowstone.

OTD