1st time in chicago

Old Oct 12th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time in chicago

Hello,
My wife and I will be in Chicago for our first time October 14th thru the 18th. I was wondering if you could recommend what sites to see and what food places we should not miss. I have already booked a architectural river cruise. I also read about going to the Signature room at the John Hancock bldg and grabbing a drink or some food and enjoying the sites. We do enjoy museums. As far as food We don't want to break the budget but we definitely want some Deep Dish pizza and of course a Chicago Dog. Are there any other Chicago eateries that we should try or sample. We are staying at the Essex Inn in the Chicago Loop.
Thank You
Soames
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 02:48 PM

I can recommend a great hamburger (Au Cheval on Randolph). We had a nice late dinner at Avec (also on Randolph). We're not huge eaters - at Au Cheval, we shared a green salad and a hamburger and fries, and it was plenty for us.

The Chicago Art Institute is a world class art museum.

When we go (which we did this past summer), we love to just pick a neighborhood and wander. The architecture and outdoor art in Chicago are fabulous. Don't miss seeing "The Bean" in Millenium Park (behind the Art Institute)
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 02:56 PM

Deep dish pizza options: Gino's East, Lou Malnati's, Giordano's (have been), the original Pizzeria Uno or Pizzeria Due (have not been).

Chicago dog options: Portillo's, Gold Coast Dogs (have been), Superdawg, Weinet Circle (have not been).

Also consider Italian beef at Mr. Beef and/or Al's No. 1 Beef (have been).
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 02:58 PM

From my Chicago visit a few years ago. Scroll later in the thread to see what I actually did.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ack-wanted.cfm
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 05:51 PM

The CAF river cruise is great. The Purple Pig is a good place for adventurous small plates. It's at 500 N Michigan Ave. Have fun!
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 09:30 PM

The Essex Inn isn't in The Loop whose southern boundary is Van Buren.

This weekend, the Chicago Architecture Foundation is sponsoring its annual Open House Chicago. Several buildings (and parts of buildings) in all areas of the city and suburbs not normally open will welcome visitors. An online guide is at: https://openhousechicago.org/ or you can get a hard copy at the CAF store on Michigan Avenue or any of the listed venues. Admission to all sites is free, but some require reservations (most are filled) and some will have long lines. Many are accessible via public transit.

Some of the more interesting sites in the central city include The Chicago Temple/First Methodist Church, Aon Center, the Civic Opera House, the McCormick Bridgehouse Museum and the Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park.
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 10:14 PM
kja

The Art Institute, Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Tiffany Dome at the Chicago Cultural Center, Millennium Park, maybe a day trip to Oak Part to visit Frank Lloyd Wright homes….

If you don’t already have one, I strongly encourage you to get a good guidebook. Fodor’s is, IME, quite good.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 01:56 AM

Sorry, should be "Wiener's Circle" above. My typo.
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 06:42 AM

There is a Fodor's destination guide for Chicago. I would suggest you review that information as it will give you a lot of the basics. Then pose more specific questions here.
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 07:17 AM

This may sound crazy but going to the Museum and seeing American Gothic and Nighthawks was a revelation of why they became iconic posters. The real paintings truly illuminate.
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 03:15 PM
kja

@ Inakauaidavidababy: That's exactly why many of us make time for museums when traveling -- even the best prints rarely capture the power of the originals.
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

thank you very much everyone. this is why i love Fodors. Early flight tomorrow and then our adventure begins in Chicago.
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 07:48 PM

We also enjoyed going to Second City. One of the comedians we saw that night is now on the Saturday Night Live cast.