Help with 4ish days in France please

Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sad too! I was looking forward to another visit.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 02:48 PM

I know that AirBnB is out, so any suggestions for lower priced hotels would also be appreciated.>

May be for you but Paris is still their number one market, with an astounding 78,000 properties - renter faces virtually no repurcussions and apparently neither do owners. I'd stay in an airbnb without worry as zillions do.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 02:49 PM

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bishopj.../#4891a9584127
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 05:08 PM

I suggest this Paris hotel so often that I even bore myself but it's great value for money, excellent location and within your budget. If you can swing it, get a superior double room, they are larger and lighter.

The least expensive rooms overlook the courtyard which is really more like a light shaft so quite dark. Advantage is those rooms are very quiet.

The hotel breakfasts are very good and ample but are an extra charge of around 14€. If you're not a big breakfast eater, head to a café for coffee and a croissant at about half the price of the hotel breakfast.

Check out Premier Inns in London, they have several locations.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 05:09 PM

Ignore Premier Inns comment, it was for another thread.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 09:12 PM

PalenQ - last night's news revealed that the agents are again doing their inspections of rental apartments. This concerns AirBnB and other vacation rentals.
They have permission to enter and ask questions of the people staying there.
I would not risk it - especially since the property owner has 2 months to get his affairs in order and get a registration number.

Rental fees have escalated, and the property owner is supposed to keep to a certain fee, otherwise will risk 50,000 EU for each apartment he rents.
This one owner had 4 units, so 200,000 EU.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 06:28 AM

http://hotelclementparis.com

I also left out the link to the Clément.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Cathinjoetown, thanks for the link for the Clement. That looks gorgeous and the location is handy to everything! It's a tad more than I really want to spend but I think for the time of year and the location it's a really good deal.

PalenQ, I try to behave myself when I'm in another country and am unfamiliar with both the laws and the language. If it is a problem and gets cancelled, my backup options are limited at that time.

I'm still debating a tour or a self drive in Loire Valley, but I have plenty of time to debate that one. I have to get the flights sorted out and the Iran side of things, then I'm good to go to start booking things. Yay.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 09:01 AM

Redhead,

Please post about your trip to Iran and flag it in the lounge or Europe board.

Thanks.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 09:37 AM

PalenQ, I try to behave myself when I'm in another country and am unfamiliar with both the laws and the language. If it is a problem and gets cancelled, my backup options are limited at that time.>

understood. check www.accorhotels.com for cheap modern chain hotels in Paris (and all over Europe) - IBIS is one that is very affordable.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 11:03 AM

I understand Ia Redhead not feeling comfy about airbnb but I would be- how many folks have turned up to be put out - none or very few I think and though I sympathize with locals who want to preserve local housing for locals, etc. I feel there beef is with their local Paris government which should just shut these places down if illegal.

Otherwise it is the tourist who could save a few hundred bucks who by escheweing airbnb suffers - why should tourists pay that penalty?

And there are airbnb places that genuinely I feel are trying to keep their residences by renting out a room or two - the large groups that have become businesses should be dealt with by local authorities - the tourist should not and I believe does not usually suffer - to wit the 78,000 airbnbs still in operation.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 11:44 AM

okay, as for the Loire, I've visited two chateaux in one day with public transportation, it isn't impossible at all. But I didn't visit the two you most want, that's the real problem. Otherwise, Amboise and Blois are right on train lines, and so is Chenonceau. I visited Azay-le-Rideau by train, also, actually, but that schedule isn't as good.

I think I visited Amboise and Chenonceau the same day by public transport. Chambord is the harder one.
The train from Tours to Chenonceau only takes 30 minutes. To Blois, it's about 50 minutes, and Amboise is in the middle of that line.

You can take a bus from Amboise to Chenonceaux or vice versa, this website has schedules. That bus only takes about 20 minutes. It's bus line C.
https://www.remi-centrevaldeloire.fr/

This is a general plan of the local bus lines.
https://www.remi-centrevaldeloire.fr...n-du-reseau-2/
This is the bus where you can get individual bus line schedules.
https://www.remi-centrevaldeloire.fr...ndre-et-loire/

I agree that a small group tour sounds good, as someone suggested. Would be a lot cheaper than renting a car, I bet. I don't know what kind of a driver you are, but you don't know French, won't understand the road signs, and St Pierre des Corps is not out in the country, it's still a kind of urban area. It's not dead center of Tours, sure, but it's not a small country station. And that's where you'll have to return to, also.

Believe me, there is no way in the world you want to spend an entire day at one chateau.

I understand trying to do those bus lines, as you do have to be careful with the days of the week or seasons, isn't as easy as the train. If you only want to see one, that's easy in a day by train. For 2, it's easy between Amboise and Blois, but those aren't exactly the same kind of chateaux as Chenonceau, either, so I think a bus tour (I think a lot leave from the train station) would be best if you really want to do that.

I would never go to Mont St Michel in one day from Paris.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

>>

That's exactly what I was afraid of. I know that many countries have road signs in multiple languages (such as Israel) but if that's not the case then I'm just completely SOL. GPS is great but there's no way I want to rely 100% on that. Thanks for the public transit info! I'll look at that and if it doesn't work out easily I'll go with a small group tour. If I don't get enough time somewhere then I guess I'll just have to go back on the next trip!

>>

I'll post a link in the Lounge when I get it started. I'm only looking at a short trip (8-9 day tour) as American's are required to be part of a tour rather than on our own.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 12:54 PM

That's exactly what I was afraid of. I know that many countries have road signs in multiple languages (such as Israel) but if that's not the case then I'm just>

You do not need to know French to understand the road signage which uses the international symnbol system. But there are a few key words in French like "Toutes Directions" - all directions - and 'sans issue'- no outlet - so yes without studying those terms you may be flummoxed at times. But the main signs should be self-explanatory by shape and color of sign - and St-Pierre-des-Corps is in a built-up area but easy access to main roads - much better than central Tours station.

Yes eschew driving unless several days -take train to say Amboise and public transit as christina describes or mini-bus tours that depart from Amboise as well (also a popular balloon ride area to glimpse chateaus from above - never done it but must be a thrill- many of those available but very expensive).
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 09:16 PM

If you go the hotel route, you will have English-speaking desk staff and nothing to worry about.
If you go the AirBnB or other vacation rental websites, you will not be put out of the apartment, but you might have other difficulties.

The Australian family of 6 had been overcharged for a "luxury" apartment, so the agent was looking into all 4 of them.

Property owners have 2 months to apply for a registration number, then they will be legal. That includes vacation time.
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 05:54 AM

Finally resolving that issue to be legal vs today's nebulous status.

Bravo!
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 10:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>> I did a small group tour I found on Viator.