Romanian Currency ???

Old Sep 29th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Romanian Currency ???

I'm confused and need some help. Some places refer to Romanian currency as RON, while others refer to it as LEI or LAU. Which is it and why the two different names? I need to purchase some currency here in the states and want to make certain I order correctly from my bank.
Thank you ~
Old Sep 29th, 2017, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do you want to purchase currency in the US? If you are going to Romania you will save money by just using an ATM when you get there.

Why not multiple names? How many names are there for a US dollar? The three digit alpha code, equivalent to USD or GBP or EUR is RON (see xe.com )

Or, of course, you could do a search:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_leu
Old Sep 29th, 2017, 05:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
From your other thread it seems you are going for a few days next month. As thrusdaysd says -- you don't need to purchase any currency (hope you haven't bought a bunch of £ for your London leg)

Just use your ATM card when you arrive in Bucharest.
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you both ! Unfortunately, I bought the pounds just a moment ago and now wish I would have read your reply sooner. I didn't get any RON because my bank doesn't sell them. Which now leads me to this next question, at the airport in Bucharest, are there reliable ATMs ? Here in the U.S., ATM are all over the place, and a lot are privately owned. I want one that is connected a reputable bank/financial institution. I've used HSBC and Santander just to be on the safe side. Your thoughts?

Thank you ~
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a pre-paid ride in from the airport in Bucharest, so I suppose I might have waited to get cash, but it is not the way I usually travel. Getting cash is the first thing on my agenda after immigration and collecting my checked bag.

Once in town I usually try to use an ATM connected with a bank during opening hours, but at the airport I just use whatever looks most official (i.e. not Travelex).
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 12:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> I bought the pounds just a moment ago and now wish I would have read your reply sooner.