Search

Europe in February - Itinerary Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2017, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe in February - Itinerary Ideas

Hello Fodorites!

Wow, it's been awhile since I first posted in 2012 inquiring the best way from Stockholm to Gardemoen Airport in Oslo.

Since then I've traveled to 25 countries and learned to navigate my way through Eastern Europe via rail. I'd like to think I've come a long ways.

But now I'm stuck trying to plan a holiday in February (9th-18th to be specific) with my Hungarian friend whom I met recently while visiting Budapest (sidebar: if you haven't been, please go. It is a wonderful city).

As she lives in Budapest, she is willing to fly/rail and meet me anywhere within Europe. She is pretty much willing to go anywhere.

Our travel ideas are as follows:

1). Rothenburg ob der Tauber -> Berchtesgaden (flying into Frankfurt or Nuremberg). I initially also thought Dinkelsbühl, but I heard it's pretty, but dead.

2). Rothenburg ob der Tauber -> Garmisch-Partinkirchen

3). Budapest -> Sibiu, Romania -> Brasov (and Bran's castle, of course). The downside of this is the 10.5 hour train ride from Budapest to Sibiu (or 4.5 hour flight at twice the cost) and the relative difficulty getting from Sibiu to Brasov (train and bus - slow). I don't drive manual, and she doesn't drive (yet).

4). Budapest -> Eszergom and Nagymaro -> Lake Balaton ?

I've been to most major cities, and after my last trip (Prague->Vienna->Budapest) a few months ago, I'm longing to see smaller towns (such as Rothenburg). We'd like to visit storybook towns if possible.

What are your thoughts? We are completely open to ideas outside of Hungary/Germany/Romania. For instance, a friend of mine recommended Leiden to me this evening (though I truthfully haven't researched it much, yet).

When I think of Europe in the winter I think of cobblestone roads and sitting with a mug of hot coffee in front of our fireplace in our hotel room.

Where have you gone when visiting Europe in the Winter? What are some of your favorite memories?
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 03:33 AM

Hmmm... sounds cosy but forget about the fireplace. You will not find these in hotel rooms.

Your travel dates coincide with carnival. The big question is whether you like large, colourful, noisy, fun festivals where the most common drink will certainly not be coffee, or whether you want to avoid these. The answer to this will have drastic influence on our recommendations.
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 06:37 AM

In Germany your days in Bavaria be sure to research the Bavarian day ticket where you can take regional trains all day plus buses and urban transports for about 30-35 euros for both. buy that at stations- no need to pre-buy.

For long train trips there are often discounts available -check www.seat61.com for mucho info on that. For general info on trains and where to go by them also www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ridcksteves.com.

I've been to Italy during winter and can be quite pleasant weather-wise - if not been to Italy consider it.

Leiden is a neat university town near Amsterdam, which, especially for young folks, can make a neat place with an eclectic array of things to meet all interests. I'd stay in Amsterdam and day trip to Leiden.
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

@quokka - We actually talked about Venice and going to Carnival - I am 100% ok with that, and she had expressed interest in going. I do love Venice and find it a great city, although I suspect for Carnival there will be a markup on hotel rooms city wide.

@PalenQ - thank you for the hint on the Bavarian day ticket! And seat61 is an amazing website, I agree!
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 12:29 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...t-707400-2.cfm

A current thread on Bavaria Ticket...
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 02:04 PM

>@quokka - We actually talked about Venice and going to Carnival - I am >100% ok with that, and she had expressed interest in going. I do love Venice >and find it a great city, although I suspect for Carnival there will be a markup >on hotel rooms city wide.

Forgive my interjecting here but Carnival is celebrated in Germany as well (also known as Fasching, Fastnacht, Fasnacht, Fasnet). Especially in areas along the Rhine and into southern Germany. Cologne is one of the main centres but Mainz does a pretty mean Carnival too):

https://www.cologne-tourism.com/welcome/carnival.html

Lavandula
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 05:16 PM

Can you delay your trip by 4 or 5 days? If so, then do a few places like Garmisch (totally charming) in Germany.

Then, absolute number one recommendation from me is Fassnacht in Basel, Switzerland. It hosts a night time parade of the most beautiful, huge and interesting lanterns and costumes you can imagine! The parade begins at 4:00 am on Feb 19, 2018. City lights are turned off so nothing distracts from the lanterns. I won't go into details. Just look it up and look at images. It has a lot of artistry and meaning in the artworks on the lanterns.

The evening before, visit Leistal to see the fire festival as people carrying logs on fire, walk down from the hills through lovely white snow. Amazing!

If you can change your time frame just a bit and include this festival, I guarantee it will be an all time memorable experience.

Basel is expensive, but it is easy to stay a bit outside the city and take a bus into the city. You can take a train to Leistal. So, both are easy using public transport.
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

@lavendula - did not know that! That's exciting - will research, thank you!

@sassafrass - unfortunately, the dates are rather set as my traveling partner has to be at work the 1st and 20th of each month specifically for tax purposes - but I will research Leistal and Basel!

Thank you
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

@palenq - checking out that thread...
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 05:01 AM

I do love Venice >and find it a great city, although I suspect for Carnival there will be a markup >on hotel rooms city wide.>

Not so sure about that as it is still off season compared to hectic summer and if you want a hotel for a song check out those on the Lido- ridiculously cheap in off season and not far from San Marco by frequent boats.

I like Venice the few days I was there during Carnival - just seeing folks in costumes prancing around during daytime was a treat.

And better weather for watching outdoors things though Cologne's carnival sounds really neat.

But Venice is Venice and Cologne is Cologne!
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

So, after much back and forth with my traveling partner, we decided on the following:

02/08 - Leave USA
02/09 - Arrive in Budapest
02/10 - Explore Budapest/take a billion pictures
02/10 - Fly to Venice in the late afternoon/Explore Venice at night
02/11 - Venice for Carnevale 2018
02/12 - Train to Trieste/check into hotel/get coffee/explore
02/13 - Trieste exploring
02/14 - Trieste/day trip somewhere
02/15 - Trieste/Padua, Italy
02/16 - Trieste/wherever
02/17 - Fly to Budapest - explore more Budapest
02/18 - Sadly fly back to USA
02/19 - Start planning next trip
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somewhere cheapish in Venice (not so cheap during Carnavale):

http://www.bbvenezia.com/prices.html

It's in Sant'Elena but very close to the vaporetto dock.

I didn't care that much for Trieste - keep going to Ljubljana!
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

@Thursdaysd - thank you for the tip on hotel in Venice - I'll check it out.

Our hearts are pretty much set on Trieste but we will be day-tripping elsewhere. We are visiting Trieste partly because of the Hungarian influences (my travel companion is from Hungary). She really wanted to go here, so I'm making it happen.

I'm surprised you didn't care too much for Trieste considering it is commonly referred to as one of Italy's most underrated towns, but I suppose YMMV That's what makes the forums fun and exciting. If we all felt the same way there wouldn't be that wonderful feelings called wanderlust!
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 05:47 PM

Well it didn't help that the weather wasn't great - too bad for me to visit Miramare. The architecture didn't appeal to me and in general the museums were a disappointment.

See: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...te-in-trieste/

I would have thought the influences were more Austrian than Hungarian, depending on how you view the Hapsburgs.
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

@Thursdaysd, that really is a shame. I'm looking forward to Miramare, but I suppose weather will be a crap-shoot as well as it will be February when we go. Still, we wanted to do Europe in Winter (well, I did - she lives in Europe, lol!)

I suppose you raise a good point regarding the Habsburg rule as well!

I'm sorry you didn't have fun
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 07:20 PM

When you say Europe in winter, what image do you have? I grew up in England, and winter in northern Europe is not something I enjoyed then or would expect to enjoy now. The exception would be if I were into winter sports and headed for the mountains.

If I had to spend winter in Europe I would go to Nice or Lisbon where it would be warmer. Have you looked at the weather statistics and the number of hours of daylight?

(Use https://www.wunderground.com/ and https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/)

That said, I prefer to visit Venice in the winter because the crowds are less.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 08:17 AM

I thought Trieste to be a nice city - for about a day - stay there IMO two nights -one day trip to nearby Miramare and then stay longer in Venice -day trip to Padua from there not Trieste, much much farther away.

Or take a day trip to Croatia from Trieste - like nearby Rijeka to experience a very different country.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 10:18 AM

Hi,
Trieste and Hungarian influences is something like Moscow and Polish influences.
Yeah, the Poles invaded Russia briefly at the beginning of the 17th century but that was it. At the end their were defeated and thrown out of the country, leaving no influence behind
I am really surprised of a Hungarian looking for Hungarian influences in Trieste. Hapsburg yes (they had the city for more than 500 years), but Hungarian???
There were some major battles (11) between Hungarian and Italian troops near and around Isonzo, not far from Trieste, but nothing in the city. Most of those sites now located in Slovenia.
Probably the one and only influence is Francesco Illy, the Hungarian born inventor of the predecessor of nowadays Espresso machines.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 10:22 AM

I was actually more aware of Hungarian influences in northern Serbia. Wonderful, wonderful Art Nouveau buildings in Subotica, and a woman on the bus assuring me that she had Hungarian, not Serbian, heritage....
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 02:29 PM

I always heard of Trieste being Austrian flavored not Hungarian -it was the Austrian Emperor of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire that built that train line to Miramare for basically himself and cronies to use. But basically Trieste is Italian with an Austrian tinge - never heard of it being called Hungarian and I think there is a big difference between the two?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -