Search

Maryland metro

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maryland metro

I have a chance to be at National Harbor, MD. for work. I will also have 2 free days. Wondering if there is a metro that I can use to go Bowie/Mitchellville area to see an elderly friend. Another day I would like to go to Washington D.C. to see the new African-American museum.
Any advice/tips will be greatly helpful. I do not plan to rent a car and want to use the metro/train etc.
Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 11:00 AM

No Metro train to or from National Harbor.
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 11:20 AM

National Harbor is a terrible location for public transportation. Bowie isn't part of the DC metro area, no metro train goes there, either, that's pretty far out. The metro doesn't go past Greenbelt, New Carrollton or Largo farther south. Now Mitchellville is closer to DC, the closest metro stops would be New Carrollton or Largo Town Center. For Bowie, Greenbelt would be the closest, I suppose.

YOu can take a bus from National Harbor to a metro stop, but it's a long haul, then you'd have to go back into the city to change trains at l'Enfant Plaza to get to either Greenbelt or Largo or New Carrollton. I think you have to take the N2 bus over to Virginia, actually (Eisenhower station or King St, not sure) to get on the metro. The whole trip would take maybe 3 hrs and then you'd have to figure out how to get from the end metro station to your friend.

Now going into DC is more doable if you do take the NH2 bus to Virginia and then go to the Smithsonian station. That might only take an hour.

YOu don't say when you are going but getting tickets to that museum is extremely difficult, they are only released once a month for months away and are taken up within minutes. I think beginning of Sept is the next time and would be for December. There are some same-day tickets available if you log on maybe 9 am? not sure as I can't go during the week. On a weekday, your odds are better to get a same day one if you log on right when it starts.
Old Aug 13th, 2017, 03:46 AM

According to National Harbor's website, the NH1 bus actually goes to the Southern Avenue metro station on the Green line. From there it's a pretty short trip into downtown DC. If you go to WMATA's website and use their trip planner, it will give you an idea of how long it will take.

The only way to get out to Bowie is to take the MARC train out to the Bowie State U station from downtown DC, at Union Station. That train has a station in Lanham that might be a little closer to where you want to go.
Old Aug 13th, 2017, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips and help.
I will study the maps and the metro websites to figure out the best plan.
Have a beautiful Sunday and enjoy a lovely summer day as fall is fast approaching.