Where to spend Christmas

Old Aug 6th, 2017, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to spend Christmas

Hello Travel Guru's

In a previous post I asked for advice about our travel itinerary for Christmas 2018. At that stage we were planning to spend Christmas itself in Lapland however due to wanting to spend more time in Central Europe and to not make things too busy with up to 5 kids we have decided to look at spending Christmas in either Austria or Switzerland. After research I have noted that the main ski resort areas look to have a 7 day minimum stay over Christmas which I can absolutely understand. We would prefer not to have to stay in a resort for 7 days as we are not skiers ( well not snow anyway). Our aim would be to get somewhere on the 23rd and leave on the 27th at which time we will fly to Scotland to spend Hogmanay.

Therefore I am looking for some suggestions of somewhere to spend the Christmas period. Some wish list points are:
- somewhere with a village Christmassy feel to it.
- we will probably be in Munich or Vienna directly before so within easy travelling distance (4 hours or so) from these would be good.
- while snow is not essential it would be nice if we were close enough to somewhere we could access snow for a play day with the kids , not sure if this is at all possible.
- happy to base ourselves somewhere if need be for 7 days if we can get out and do day trips to other places ie local sites, walking trails, try skiing or tobogganing with the kids, markets or Christmas concert/ church etc just soak up the sights
- We prefer self catering style accomodation ( easier with kids) so access to a grocer/ supermarket would be nice.
- we will be using public transport where possible.

If there is anywhere that you think would be suitable I would love to hear your thoughts or if we are dreaming please feel free to let me know. �� Once we have worked out our Christmas location we will build the rest of our travels around it. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 11:26 AM

Hi Charnely, A few years ago, I had the amazing good fortune to spend Christmas with another Fodorite in Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Bavaria. First of all, the area is the definition of Christmas with snow and mountains and beautiful little houses. There is a grand Christmas Market in the pedestrian zone of town. While you can ski, you don't have to in order to have a wonderful winter holiday. We took trains and buses everywhere. We rode the gondola to Zutspitze, the highest mountain in Germany. We took a bus to Mittenwald, another charming Bavarian town and then road a horsedrawn sleigh through the snowy woods to a lovely little restaurant for lunch and then back again.

I can't swear by it, but I think the train from Munich to Garmisch is only about an hour. I can't imagine your family not loving every minute.

While I can't recommend any accommodations, a quick search on homeaway.com for the Christmas week shows lots of options.
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 12:20 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Garmisch is a great idea - it's quite possible to see it and the Zugspitz as a day trip from Munich too.

Berchtesgaden, Mittenwald and Innsbruck also come to mind.

Prices for accommodation in Switzerland alpine areas are atrocious that time of year as you've probably already discovered, and some resorts even have a minimum of 14 days between Christmas and New Year.

With a large group, I suggest you look into apartments once you've sorted out the location - in addition to the extra space, you'll save a boatload.

Train or car?
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 01:18 PM

- we will be using public transport where possible>

Garmisch I say yeh to also - can take trains or buses anywhere you want to go - Innsbruck too - any town in Germany and Austria seems to have a neat Christmas Market (though they may close before Christmas Day?

Garmisch - day trip by train and bus/taxi to Fussen for Mad Ludwig's Neuschwanstein Castle -kids would love the fantasy nature of it- Linderhof another Ludwig fantasy castle.

Salzburg perhpas the nicest city of all and ski resorts not far from it -say Berchetsgaden ara.

For lots on trains: www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com.

If Garmisch or Bavaria the Bavaria Pass - gives you unlimited regional trains for up to several people for 35-40 euros or so - good even to Salzburg and from Garmisch to Reutte thru Austria (buses or taxis to Fussen from there) - buy it at stations- no need to pre-purchase.
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so very much Belinda, Mel & PalenQ. These suggestions are excellent and I hadn't even considered Bavaria but I think between all the places listed we will find exactly what we are looking for with lots of options to get out and explore at the same time.

I have to admit I expected it to be expensive over Christmas in Switzerland (we looked at Zermatt & Arosa) but It did take me by surprise just how expensive and coming from Perth I am very used to ridiculous hotel prices. This way we will have more options. Thank you.
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 08:02 PM

Hi Charnley,

I live in Garmisch, so I hope I can join others here and help you find a great spot for Christmas (Howdy Belinda!! Thanks for such sweet words!).

I think I ought to bring some caveats --

First, there's not a great chance that there will be snow in Garmisch by Christmas; in fact, we normally don't get snow in town these days until around mid-January (our winter seasons are getting warmer & warmer and ski seasons getting shorter & shorter). However, there should be snow on the Zugspitze, which is about 90 minutes away by train or train/bus + cable car. The cable car from the Eibsee to the summit is being replaced, and the new one is scheduled to open in December. So you should be able to get up there and get your hands in the snow. One winter, though, the Zugspitze had such high winds that access was forbidden.

There are a few walking trails that are still accessible through the winter, including the Philosophenweg (from Farchant to Partenkirchen), Kramerplateauweg (from the Werdenfels ruins to Grainua, runs parallel to Garmisch), the Partnachklamm/Eckbauer, and trails on the Wank. Other trails may be ok, depending on snow, ice, etc. From anywhere in central Garmisch, you can be on a trail in the mountains in about 15-20 minutes by walking.

Mittenwald is another good option; I spent 5 weeks there before I decided to move to Bavaria. It's smaller than Garmisch, and only has a Christmas market on some weekends. But you'll be closer to the countryside and the mountains -- you can be on a trail in the mountains in about 10 minutes by walking.

I haven't been there in about 20 years, but Berchtesgaden is another option. From there, you'll be able to get to Salzburg for a day-trip.

I'll have to add that you'll have a better chance of snow if you head to Switzerland, either Zermatt or the Engadin Valley or the Jungfrau region ... and yes that's one reason why it's so expensive and why hotels can get a 7-night commitment. Those areas are at a higher altitude than the towns/settlements in Germany. However, I found very little Christmassy spirit there. Only the larger towns or cities have Christmas markets (Basel, Bern, Montreux, Zürich, Luzern), and I saw very few lights or decorations.

Anyway, have fun as you research & ponder!!

s
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 08:29 PM

Sorry, meant to add --

To find holiday apartments, look at the town's own tourist website. For Garmisch, it's at

www.gapa.de

Change the language to English, then go to accommodation (the icon of the bed on the left-hand side), then do a search by your dates & number of adults. On the next screen, you'll be able to narrow your search by hotels or apartments and by location, and you'll be able to add the number & ages of your children.

It is not too early to find accommodation now -- Christmas is super high season even here, as skiers flock to the Zugspitze to get in the first runs of the season.

Have fun!

s
Old Aug 6th, 2017, 08:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
A favorite destination of ours in every season is Seefeld in Tirol. Winter activities abound, with something for everyone from snowshoeing to beginning skiing to winter hiking; and afterwards, warm spas to help you wind down before dinner. There are also numerous holiday homes and apartments for rent; and public transportation to nearby destinations like Innsbruck and even across the border to Garmish. Booking now would not be too early.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Wow thank you swandav what a great post you have certainly given me a lot to research and thanks for the accomodation link that's a great help. I am hoping to start booking accomodation in the next month especially for Christmas as I don't want to miss out. I am figuring that once we have Christmas sorted the rest of our itinerary will fall in to place around it. Though at the moment I have no idea how I am going to narrow it down, I have so much on the wish list. Seefeld was one of the Austrian places I had looked into four for travel as well at Kitzbuhel and Zell am see. To many wonderful places, this is going to be difficult. Thanks for all your help. This is really a fantastic forum.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 04:57 PM

Following this post as my family and I are planning the same vacation this Christmas. If I may ask where did you end up? We also are debating on Seefeld, Berchtesgaden, Zell Am See?
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 12:46 AM

I really liked Helsinki in the winter. Norway is also beautiful at this time of year.