Side trip from Charlotte, NC

Old Jul 17th, 2017, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side trip from Charlotte, NC

I am attending a conference next month in Asheville, NC, from there I will have meetings in and around Charlotte, NC. A weekend falls in the middle of my time in Charlotte, so I am looking for ideas of places to go, things to do since it doesn't make sense to fly home and then come back. I could stay the weekend in Charlotte, of course, but I have been there several times and would like to take the opportunity to see something else in the area. I'd like to go somewhere within a 4 hour (or so) drive from Charlotte where I could stay for a couple nights and then go back to Charlotte. With the exception of Charlotte itself, I am unfamiliar with North Carolina, so I am looking for ideas. I'll be traveling by myself and am interested in a variety of things - mountains, coast, interesting towns, history, art, music, beer, wine, local food, hiking, biking, swimming, relaxing by the pool, hanging out in a scenic spot reading my book - just whatever. Any ideas that you have are greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 09:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The NC beaches are gorgeous but that is busy time there. I also like the Research Triangle area. Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill all have their own charms. You could look at Fearington outside of Chapel Hill if you like s more rural area.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Birdie. I had initially thought of the beaches, but being August, I am sure it will be very busy. I don't mind busy, but I know I am late in making my plans, so availability might be an issue.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 02:45 PM

You can go to the beach for the weekend. Look at Litchfield Inn at Pawley's Island. BUT what day in August--the eclipse day--Monday, the 21st? You will REALLY want to plan if that is the day.
But back to the beach--4 hours to Pawley's and a good stay right ON the beach at Litchfield Inn or check Litchfield by the Sea (bookings.com).
You could go to Asheville. You could go to Winston-Salem. You could go to Charleston (3.5 hours).
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 03:51 PM

Charleston would be good especially if it is the weekend of the eclipse however it might be expensive lodging that day.
Beaufort might work as well
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 04:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know what your budget is but I've always enjoyed the Washington-Duke Inn across the street from Duke. Great bar. There's a nice running loop that goes back through the woods. You're walking distance from the gardens and art museum. You can catch a Durham Bulls game if they're in town and go to one of the funky restaurants that are springing up in Durham.
And you can visit the lemurs!!

https://www.washingtondukeinn.com

http://blog.durham-nc.com/whats-new-...r-2017-edition

http://lemur.duke.edu

Also a bit pricey but nice is Fearington.
https://www.fearrington.com/inn/

There are some cute places to stay in Chapel Hill too and some great restaurants.

Or you can always go furniture shopping at Furnitureland South. It takes a weekend to walk through the place.
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 06:08 AM

I mentioned Winston-Salem. There is Old Salem there, an historical village with the Southern Decorative Arts Museum. At Reynolda House there is also a Georgia O'Keefe exhibit beginning in August. They have a AAA baseball team and some very good dining. I think it's more interesting than Durham. Not far from Winston is the BBQ caapital of the world, Lexington, NC and the Childress winery/vineyards.
I don't think I see when you are coming.
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 06:09 AM

Oh, I do see August. You can definitely find places at the beach at Pawley's/Litchfield for August
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 06:11 AM

I mentioned Winston-Salem. There is Old Salem there, an historical village with the Southern Decorative Arts Museum.
___
I went to Old Salem a few months ago and loved it. There's a very good bakery there too
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 11:46 AM

IF you don't get a chance to explore Asheville while you are there for the conference, you may want to return there for the weekend. Lots to do.