Lake Garda with a 12-year-old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2017, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've just returned from (almost) three days on Lake Garda, with my visiting daughter and 12-year-old granddaughter. A few years ago, my husband and I visited Lake Como, which was not one of my favorite holidays, and I've been accused of unfairly discouraging people from visiting that very popular lake. I have no prejudice against lakes in general, and to prove it, I'll say at the outset that we all loved Lake Garda, and I would happily go back for a longer visit. My daughter, in fact, is thinking of visiting for a week next year with her husband, who couldn't get away from his business this year.

We left home on a Sunday morning, for the three-hour drive to our B&B in Pai, a village that's part of the town of Torre del Benaco. We had planned to leave just after lunch, but a relative who lives in Bologna told us that traffic can be awful on a Sunday near Bologna, especially on the last weekend of the month, so we decided that we would try to reach Bologna during the lunch hour, in the hopes that most of the travelers would be in the Autogrill. I don't know if this is the reason, but we really had no problem with traffic.

Our B&B was La Dimora, in the village of Pai, on a slope overlooking the lake. They are a B&B in the sense that they serve breakfast, but they are also in another sense an aparthotel, because all the rooms have a kitchen, and most of them are actually multi-room apartments. One of the two women who manage the B&B is available on site at all times. For a family, it's ideal.

I'll elaborate more on the B&B in a later post. For now, I'll just say that we spent Monday exploring the lake area, including a cable car ride to the top of Monte Baldo, and a boat trip to Riva, at the northern tip of the lake. Tuesday was devoted to Gardaland. My daughter and I weren't keen on visiting Gardaland, especially since my daughter lives near several large amusement parks in the US, but my husband insisted that we'd be depriving our granddaughter of a valuable Italian cultural experience if we didn't go there. In the end, we all enjoyed Gardaland.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

I see I accidentally tagged this "Ireland" instead of "Italy". I've sent an email to the "forums" address. Is there a better way to get it changed?
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 01:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there a better way to get it changed?>>

not in my experience, bvl, no.

going back to Lake Garda, we took our kids there for their first trip to Italy, when they were [about] 12 and 9, and it was one of our best family holidays. We didn't make it to Riva, but we explored from Malcesine down to Sirmione, and Gardaland too which personally I hated but the kids had a good time.

There is definitely enough for a return trip, bvl, with or without your GD.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 02:06 PM

I don't think anyone ever accused you of disliking all lakes. Just objected to your portraying your one very brief & unhappy excursion to Lago di Como as an objective assessment for all travelers at any time, and trying to argue others out of seeing one of the most beautiful sights in Europe.

But nice to hear you enjoyed your trip this time.